Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If I already am making millions per year guaranteed for the next decade and I already have 10s of millions in the bank, I don't think a few million extra a year is worth living as an athlete let alone a franchise athlete in Toronto.

In Tampa, he can probably walk down the street. In Toronto he wouldn't be able to take a **** in a restaurant without being bothered.

I am not underrating how much money is worth, just when you already have as much as Stamkos I can't see a few extra million being a priority over comfort and happiness.

That said, I still cannot believe stevie y got him at this cap hit. Tampa fans should be thrilled. That is a massive coup.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
You people do realize that Tampa's average attendence finishes in the top ten in the league almost every year and beats a LOT of northern teams', right? For example this past season we were 8th in the NHLp and beat out (among others) Stanley Cup winners Pittsburgh; Canadian teams Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, and Winnipeg; and Original Six members Boston and NY Rangers. In fact "mighty" Toronto averaged a grand total of 66 fans per game more than we did. Methinks Leaf fans should stop *****ing.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Probably not the best in the Stamkos thread. The vast majority of leaf fans were very buyer beware on him....

That being said, how many advantages do the small market teams want? I mean come on, obviously yes it makes sense to make a cap, so that the other teams can play too. But there is no cap on how much tickets and merch cost either. There is no secret advantage to the big market teams, other than we support the team. We dont get to pay in canadian tire money (as we know, that didnt work).

Toronto fans have to pay hundreds of dollars to take kids to games, and then florida gives tickets away with pizza. Not only that, then there is revenue sharing, and the draft lottery. The leafs are paying the salaries of the other teams to beat them. And we use our tax dollars and time to fund public rinks and junior programs.

So the fans of the big market teams pay for and volunteer time to develop stars. Then they get drafted to small market american teams. Then the fans have to pay extra to watch worse players play so that other teams can afford to pay them. Then some teams get a tax advantage too? Maybe small market teams should support their teams. Then other fans would be able to afford to take their kids to a game or buy a jersey.

You do realize Toronto averaged 66 people more per game this season than Tampa did, right? Your post sounds pretty ridiculous given that fact.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
In fact given the relative difference in population size between Toronto and Tampa we show up to games at a greater rate than Leafs fans. Maybe you guys should spend less time insulting us and start supporting your team.:laugh:

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Lightning fans have spent the past year having Leaf tax experts tell us that the taxes were not going to make the difference. That Toronto could make up the difference with endorsements with no problem.

What happened?

The 8th year that TB could offer before reaching UFA status. Toronto would have had to offer more than $12.37M to make up the difference in take-home pay, based on how the TB contract is structured.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
In fact given the relative difference in population size between Toronto and Tampa we show up to games at a greater rate than Leafs fans. Maybe you guys should spend less time insulting us and start supporting your team.:laugh:

Wonder how much the discrepancy in price per ticket is? Not that I want to support leaf fans though but most average fans can't afford to take the family. Thought that was common knowledge.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Wonder how much the discrepancy in price per ticket is? Not that I want to support leaf fans though but most average fans can't afford to take the family. Thought that was common knowledge.

Pretty much the same given the Canadian dollar :sarcasm:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

People always bring this up like it's a badge of honor for the Leafs, that they price the average fan out of tickets to their games.

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
Pretty much the same given the Canadian dollar :sarcasm:

ZINGGGGG!!!!!:laugh:

On a serious note, I have looked at trying to catch a Lightning game while in Toronto and I almost planned one trip in time to catch it. Didn't make it, but I remember looking at ticket prices and best I could find was $120.00 for obstructed view standing room only, and this was when the Canadian dollar was on par with the US dollar. I went to the Lightning game here in Vancouver back in January, and sat 1st row on the ice next to the Canucks bench for $450.00 CD. I thought that was extremely cheap.

Greg Schuler

Apr 3, 2012
We built the infrastructure that allowed Stamkos to develop into the player he is. We built the rinks, schools, roads, and hospitals. That all costs tax money. When it comes time to pay it back he skips off to some gated community in Tampa Bay with the rest of the selfish ******. Save your money Stamkos I hope you get run out of the GTA

That is some amazing logic. So by that line of thinking, ANY player born in the Greater Toronto Area owes their hockey life to the city that did everything for them. And any player that disobeys this dictum, to return triumphantly to lead the private business Toronto Maple Leafs, party of a private enterprise, to some glory, is a traitor, to be cursed and erased from all memory.

I'd advise you to gain some perspective, but the idea that youth sports are for more than professional glory is probably oblivious to you.

That's the beauty of HFBoards - you never know what you are going to read.

:shakehead

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
If I already am making millions per year guaranteed for the next decade and I already have 10s of millions in the bank, I don't think a few million extra a year is worth living as an athlete let alone a franchise athlete in Toronto.

In Tampa, he can probably walk down the street. In Toronto he wouldn't be able to take a **** in a restaurant without being bothered.

I am not underrating how much money is worth, just when you already have as much as Stamkos I can't see a few extra million being a priority over comfort and happiness.

That said, I still cannot believe stevie y got him at this cap hit. Tampa fans should be thrilled. That is a massive coup.
I doubt he's hurting financially. Forget what he makes on his NHL salary.

He has endorsements with Nike, Bauer, Coca Cola, Sportschek, and probably others. He could have easily left and demanded more, but I think he's pretty content where he is, and making what he makes. Which is a nice thing. He isn't a greedy player, despite the endorsement deals that he has.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's especially funny since the recently drafted savior of the franchise came from...

Arizona.

Greg Schuler

Apr 3, 2012
Probably not the best in the Stamkos thread. The vast majority of leaf fans were very buyer beware on him....

That being said, how many advantages do the small market teams want? I mean come on, obviously yes it makes sense to make a cap, so that the other teams can play too. But there is no cap on how much tickets and merch cost either. There is no secret advantage to the big market teams, other than we support the team. We dont get to pay in canadian tire money (as we know, that didnt work).

Toronto fans have to pay hundreds of dollars to take kids to games, and then florida gives tickets away with pizza. Not only that, then there is revenue sharing, and the draft lottery. The leafs are paying the salaries of the other teams to beat them. And we use our tax dollars and time to fund public rinks and junior programs.

So the fans of the big market teams pay for and volunteer time to develop stars. Then they get drafted to small market american teams. Then the fans have to pay extra to watch worse players play so that other teams can afford to pay them. Then some teams get a tax advantage too? Maybe small market teams should support their teams. Then other fans would be able to afford to take their kids to a game or buy a jersey.

So you want everything capped or nothing capped. You want the same $12 beer in every arena, the same $125 sweater, the same $7 nachos. What are you, a Communist?

Here's a hint - vote out the politicians that dare spend public money on youth sports programs when those ungrateful brats will never sign back in Toronto. Have all the kids wander the streets or have private organizations finance the rinks and leagues and everything else.

What a team charges is what the market will bear. In Toronto, they charge more because people will pay more, regardless of the quality of the product on the ice. What team has ever lowered prices during a rebuild because they are going to field a 50 loss team? It doesn't happen.

If you don't like how sports works in North America, then don't support it. But to make the claims that you have is mind boggling. The intention of youth sports is not to create professional hockey player, as strange as that sounds. It is to provide youth with an outlet for athletic competition, where they learn all about fitness and team work and team building. If you think that is a waste of money because the spoiled brats forsake your hometown NHL team, then, wow, just wow...

It is always amazing what you'll read in HFBoards. And never in a good way.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
We built the infrastructure that allowed Stamkos to develop into the player he is. We built the rinks, schools, roads, and hospitals. That all costs tax money. When it comes time to pay it back he skips off to some gated community in Tampa Bay with the rest of the selfish ******. Save your money Stamkos I hope you get run out of the GTA
I think you're upset because you got your hopes up when he did this.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You do realize Toronto averaged 66 people more per game this season than Tampa did, right? Your post sounds pretty ridiculous given that fact.

Not specific to tampa. I said that. Its the idea that big market teams and their fans have
To pay for small market teams to beat them. The post was in response to the general principle that the big market teams cant flex their financial muscle. But small market teams can use tax breaks etc.

Someone says stop whinning about it, when the whole point is that the cap exists because of
Whinning of small market teams. Then. The cap comes in and now instead of getting a break, big team fans have to for small teams to play because the fans wont support them

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not specific to tampa. I said that. Its the idea that big market teams and their fans have
To pay for small market teams to beat them. The post was in response to the general principle that the big market teams cant flex their financial muscle. But small market teams can use tax breaks etc.

Someone says stop whinning about it, when the whole point is that the cap exists because of
Whinning of small market teams. Then. The cap comes in and now instead of getting a break, big team fans have to for small teams to play because the fans wont support them

Big market teams profit from a healthy league. A healthy league needs competition.

But I mean, it's not like the Leafs were tearing it up before the cap era.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So you want everything capped or nothing capped. You want the same $12 beer in every arena, the same $125 sweater, the same $7 nachos. What are you, a Communist?

Here's a hint - vote out the politicians that dare spend public money on youth sports programs when those ungrateful brats will never sign back in Toronto. Have all the kids wander the streets or have private organizations finance the rinks and leagues and everything else.

What a team charges is what the market will bear. In Toronto, they charge more because people will pay more, regardless of the quality of the product on the ice. What team has ever lowered prices during a rebuild because they are going to field a 50 loss team? It doesn't happen.

If you don't like how sports works in North America, then don't support it. But to make the claims that you have is mind boggling. The intention of youth sports is not to create professional hockey player, as strange as that sounds. It is to provide youth with an outlet for athletic competition, where they learn all about fitness and team work and team building. If you think that is a waste of money because the spoiled brats forsake your hometown NHL team, then, wow, just wow...

It is always amazing what you'll read in HFBoards. And never in a good way.

What? The initial post was the principle that teams have an inherent advantage based
On state laws. Not success not "what the market will bear". The toronto market would bear a 150 million dollar payroll. But they cant spend that. We have to pay extra not for our team, but for others. I dont care about stamkos. I care about the general idea that big market teams fans spend their hard earned money to support the others and the response is "stop whinning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad