Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Maybe he had decided he'd had enough visits and knew where he wanted to be, or maybe he just didn't want to play for the Wings. I don't really see the leap to "something fishy".

You mistake something fishy meaning I think that something nefarious went down. It's just weird that a team so rumored to be in on it didn't even get a chance to talk when there was still two days before FA.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
I have extremely mixed feelings about this. If Stamkos keeps playing the way he's been playing lately, this is a bad deal. A full NMC through the contract means he holds all the cards now. If it turns out he really is a 70 point 30-40 goal center I don't know if he's worth 8,5.

????

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think most leaf fans are ok with him not coming. The health concerns etc and buying a big ufa on a last place team is weird. There was a lot of "please don't" and a little "ok if not overpaid". There was wat more tampa hate then toronto love. I havent seen this much don't sign him on a team in forever. The amount of back tracking on the tampa board must be incredible. Beyond that...... I just honestly find this situation so bizarre.

He didnt sign long term as an rfa. When all these teams were signing long term deals, he took one that went to ufa at 26 (5 yr deal). Then he repeatedly forgets how to use twitter. Then he fights about being a winger all year. Then he goes the final hours in tampa just to decide to take the original deal? I cant think of a ufa who goes all the way to the wire just to sign back. I never would have guessed that.

Stamkos blinked. 100 percent. Have to give stevie y credit. 2 big problems this year. He stared them both down. Impressive.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Tampa fans ought to be damn happy here. Great contract, and they get to see Subban leave the division. What a day...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think most leaf fans are ok with him not coming. The health concerns etc and buying a big ufa on a last place team is weird. There was a lot of "please don't" and a little "ok if not overpaid". There was wat more tampa hate then toronto love. I havent seen this much don't sign him on a team in forever. The amount of back tracking on the tampa board must be incredible. Beyond that...... I just honestly find this situation so bizarre.

He didnt sign long term as an rfa. When all these teams were signing long term deals, he took one that went to ufa at 26 (5 yr deal). Then he repeatedly forgets how to use twitter. Then he fights about being a winger all year. Then he goes the final hours in tampa just to decide to take the original deal? I cant think of a ufa who goes all the way to the wire just to sign back. I never would have guessed that.

Stamkos blinked. 100 percent. Have to give stevie y credit. 2 big problems this year. He stared them both down. Impressive.

That wasn't actually real.

This contract makes me very, very nervous. It's as cheap as Stamkos was ever possibly going to sign, but I don't think he's an 8.5 player.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Stamkos 8.5, Hedman 9, Kucherov 7.5, Johnson 7, Palat 6... Then Vasilevsky and Drouin, of course, Yzerman will try to sign them cheap, but I doubt he'll be able to do it. I won't be surprised, if Tampa spend close to 50M on 7 players.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Great deal Tampa.Pulled a good one out of the fire.
I see another one that the Leafs lost out on.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Stamkos 8.5, Hedman 9, Kucherov 7.5, Johnson 7, Palat 6... Then Vasilevsky and Drouin, of course, Yzerman will try to sign them cheap, but I doubt he'll be able to do it. I won't be surprised, if Tampa spend close to 50M on 7 players.

It sure beats not having the players to spend money on.

KreiderHouseRules*

Less than 1M more than Rick Nash currently makes and people are actually saying an elite 26-year-old, right-handed, goal-scoring CENTER isn't worth 8.5?

Toews makes 10.5M
Kopitar makes over 9M

I'd take Stamkos @ 8.5 over both.

Even if he "only" scores 35-40 goals a year, that's still a fair deal. What do you EXPECT to pay for a 35-40 goal scorer?

Ovechkin's the only consistent 50+ goal scorer. He gets paid over 1M more too.

Welcome to the NHL. This is the LOW END of what he would've gotten had he tested the open market. Basically because Tampa gets to cheat due to state taxes, and the entire contract is fake "bonuses."

Mad Brills*

Leafs, Sabres, Habs got to make pitches to him this week, wings didn't.

Mystery team as well.

Friedman speculated sharks.

Others have said islanders

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Free agents aren't even giving DET the time of day anymore.

As a Wings fan it is extremely disheartening to see how little interest players have in this team. Punch in the gut to find out Stamkos wouldn't even talk to DET.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The funny thing that came out this morning, is that on Tuesday, the Leafs had the CEO of Canadian Tire in the meeting with Stamkos and the Leafs. That Bob Mckowan tweet was correct about a marketing deal being on the table. Everytime a Leaf fan posted that it was closed on this board by the mods because it wasn't true and clearly "Against The Rules":laugh:

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
The funny thing that came out this morning, is that on Tuesday, the Leafs had the CEO of Canadian Tire in the meeting with Stamkos and the Leafs. That Bob Mckowan tweet was correct about a marketing deal being on the table. Everytime a Leaf fan posted that it was closed on this board by the mods because it wasn't true and clearly "Against The Rules":laugh:

Link?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Maybe it was all a bit of franchise espionage

Or the ultimate troll job?

I really think this was just a case of SS being able to see what the real options were, and deciding how important it was to play on a Cup contending team during his prime.

After the draft SS could see what the actual #'s were, the talent level on the interested teams, and make a tough call. Glad for the TB fans that this worked out the way it did, even if the last year had to be kinky for them.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
This assures the Bolts as East contenders for a long long time.

Stamkos-Drouin-Kucherov-Palat-Johnson is great forward depth, even if they end up losing Filppula and or Killorn for cap reasons.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
lmao poor leafs fans

Especially the delusional ones who actually thought Stamkos to Toronto was a done deal. I guess he didn't want to spend the next 4 or 5 years on a rebuilding team to get to the point he's at now in Tampa Bay. It was funny listening to the Toronto sports radio station, the FAN590, with announcers just trashing Stamkos for not wanting to sign in Toronto. He will sign with Toronto when he's 35 years old to finish off his career.

GTHLDad

Dec 15, 2009
Especially the delusional ones who actually thought Stamkos to Toronto was a done deal. I guess he didn't want to spend the next 4 or 5 years on a rebuilding team to get to the point he's at now in Tampa Bay. It was funny listening to the Toronto sports radio station, the FAN590, with announcers just trashing Stamkos for not wanting to sign in Toronto. He will sign with Toronto when he's 35 years old to finish off his career.

I see it as a blessing and a curse.

If we could have signed him to the same deal (obv. 7 years not 8) I would have been over the moon, but there was no way in hell that was going to happen. I'm definitely sad to have missed out on Stammer.

On the other hand, with all the talk of 12m dollar player, there was a very real possibility of the Leafs overpaying for him and causing nothing but headaches when entry level deals are up. The current brain trust haven't given up any crazy deals that I can think of off the top of my head, but as a decades long Leafs fan, I'd rather not give them the opportunity.

Basically it came down to three options:

1) Sign Stamkos on a team friendly deal
2) Lose him
3) Sign him to the kind of deal he would have gotten on the open market.

I'm trying to be glass half full at this point.

As for the radio hosts, that was brutal!!!! Calling Stamkos a coward for not taking on the challenges in Toronto is disgusting.

Last edited:

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City

Did Steven Stamkos really blink...or does have a great accountant who told him that he would keep more money if he signed in Tampa (structured this way) than if he signs in Toronto, where the contract would have had to be at least $12.37M in order to equal the take-home pay from the deal he signed. In real money after taxes, this is the best deal. especially given how it's structured. (See here: https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...pa-instead-of-leaving-in-nhl-free-agency.html ) The tax rate Stamkos pays staying in Tampa (on the bonus money and salary for games played in Florida) is just 39.6 percent, as opposed to 53.53 percent in Toronto.

(As for his contract, I expect that it will be insured.)

GTHLDad

Dec 15, 2009
Did Steven Stamkos really blink...or does have a great accountant who told him that he would keep more money if he signed in Tampa (structured this way) than if he signs in Toronto, where the contract would have had to be nearly $13M in order to equal the take-home pay from the deal he signed. In real money after taxes, this is the best deal. especially given how it's structured. Stamkos would have kept less money (as disposable income) if he signed in Toronto.

(As for his contract, I expect that it will be insured.)

That's only true if you ignore sponsorship deals

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
This assures the Bolts as East contenders for a long long time.

Stamkos-Drouin-Kucherov-Palat-Johnson is great forward depth, even if they end up losing Filppula and or Killorn for cap reasons.

I think the numbers were good for Stamkos but I am afraid that it will end up shackling them in the next few years. I actually thought his departure would be better for them because they would have cap space to resign all of their other players. This is a team that went 7 games against the eventual Cup champions without Stamkos.

Yes he makes them better right now, but once after next year when many of their really solid players' contracts are up, how will they be able to resign them all? I hope I'm wrong. I just see depth as a better option than a few top end players, especially when Stamkos' best years are behind him.

Do y'all think that Tampa can resign all of Hedman, Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, and Drouin while remaining Cup contenders? I'm hoping they can, but I'm afraid they will end up becoming the Blackhawks where every year they have to jettison depth. Honestly though, if they win a Cup, I'd have to say it was all worth it.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
CmKtOaFWkAQrw81.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad