Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Probably not the best in the Stamkos thread. The vast majority of leaf fans were very buyer beware on him....

That being said, how many advantages do the small market teams want? I mean come on, obviously yes it makes sense to make a cap, so that the other teams can play too. But there is no cap on how much tickets and merch cost either. There is no secret advantage to the big market teams, other than we support the team. We dont get to pay in canadian tire money (as we know, that didnt work).

Toronto fans have to pay hundreds of dollars to take kids to games, and then florida gives tickets away with pizza. Not only that, then there is revenue sharing, and the draft lottery. The leafs are paying the salaries of the other teams to beat them. And we use our tax dollars and time to fund public rinks and junior programs.

So the fans of the big market teams pay for and volunteer time to develop stars. Then they get drafted to small market american teams. Then the fans have to pay extra to watch worse players play so that other teams can afford to pay them. Then some teams get a tax advantage too?

League is bigger than six teams now. Get over it.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I actually agree with him. How is it fair that some teams has much lower taxes than other teams?

Its a huge advantage for them because players make alot more money on the same deal in Florida for example than in other states.

Lightning fans have spent the past year having Leaf tax experts tell us that the taxes were not going to make the difference. That Toronto could make up the difference with endorsements with no problem.

What happened?

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
I bet if the thread was instead titled: Toronto signs Steven Stamkos 7 years, 10.5M AAV, it wouldn't still be in its first thread. It would have at least three or four threads at this point. And a lot of Toronto fans that are acting like this doesn't bother them would be screaming and squealing with joy over Stamkos and Matthews top two C's.

Perspective is fun.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I bet if the thread was instead titled: Toronto signs Steven Stamkos 7 years, 10.5M AAV, it wouldn't still be in its first thread. It would have at least three or four threads at this point. And a lot of Toronto fans that are acting like this doesn't bother them would be screaming and squealing with joy over Stamkos and Matthews top two C's.

Perspective is fun.

You do realize that lots of tampa fans dont even want him at 8.5 right?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lightning fans have spent the past year having Leaf tax experts tell us that the taxes were not going to make the difference. That Toronto could make up the difference with endorsements with no problem.

What happened?

He easily left money on the table. Which is his choice.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON

Perspective is fun.

It would also be filled with lighting fans telling anyone that will listen that Stamkos is washed up and not worth a penny over 7 million. How he is only a 1 dimensional 30 goal man. And how he is the 9th best player on the lightning. And how they don't need him to win a cup. And how his injury concerns are more serious then some believe. And how he'll be a buyout candidate half way through his contract. Of course perspective is fun but it also works both ways.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
13439094_10154078502712819_6164907766273636923_n.jpg
Nothing but respect for that. Loyalty in the sports world is harder and harder to come by, from both sides.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Which is fine, if they can stand on their own 2 feet. Sure. Fans of small market teams remind me of whiny kids who complain that they get bought last years smart phone when dad cant afford anything because he is supporting them. I am assuming you are some degree of teenager.......

Do you not realize that half these teams wouldn't be able to survive without the big teams? How foolish and disrespectful can you get.

You do realize that Tampa has never asked for help since Vinik bought the team? The small market teams have to bring in pros like Yzerman & Co. to run it. Toronto will get there because they are using the TBL model of developing their own talent to exploit the starving fan base.

Not to mention we are the 13th largest TV market (now 12th I think) in the U.S. so it is not like we are BFE. The Tampa area is much more attractive than a lot of fans think and with Stamkos staying, if we win another Cup then even more free agents will want to come here.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Probably not the best in the Stamkos thread. The vast majority of leaf fans were very buyer beware on him....

That being said, how many advantages do the small market teams want? I mean come on, obviously yes it makes sense to make a cap, so that the other teams can play too. But there is no cap on how much tickets and merch cost either. There is no secret advantage to the big market teams, other than we support the team. We dont get to pay in canadian tire money (as we know, that didnt work).

Toronto fans have to pay hundreds of dollars to take kids to games, and then florida gives tickets away with pizza. Not only that, then there is revenue sharing, and the draft lottery. The leafs are paying the salaries of the other teams to beat them. And we use our tax dollars and time to fund public rinks and junior programs.

So the fans of the big market teams pay for and volunteer time to develop stars. Then they get drafted to small market american teams. Then the fans have to pay extra to watch worse players play so that other teams can afford to pay them. Then some teams get a tax advantage too? Maybe small market teams should support their teams. Then other fans would be able to afford to take their kids to a game or buy a jersey.

Do you want a league or do you want the Toronto Maple Leafs to scrimmage three times a week?

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The most ironic thing is even before the cap when big market teams had all the advantages the leafs still sucked and couldn't bring in big time free agents that weren't past their best by date. Perhaps it's the market...

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
We built the infrastructure that allowed Stamkos to develop into the player he is. We built the rinks, schools, roads, and hospitals. That all costs tax money. When it comes time to pay it back he skips off to some gated community in Tampa Bay with the rest of the selfish ******. Save your money Stamkos I hope you get run out of the GTA

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We built the infrastructure that allowed Stamkos to develop into the player he is. We built the rinks, schools, roads, and hospitals. That all costs tax money. When it comes time to pay it back he skips off to some gated community in Tampa Bay with the rest of the selfish ******. Save your money Stamkos I hope you get run out of the GTA

...wow.

Let's see how long the league lasts if all players have to play for the city they grew up in. Have fun with those 3 a.m. games in Moscow.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California

So the fans of the big market teams pay for and volunteer time to develop stars. Then they get drafted to small market american teams. Then the fans have to pay extra to watch worse players play so that other teams can afford to pay them. Then some teams get a tax advantage too? Maybe small market teams should support their teams. Then other fans would be able to afford to take their kids to a game or buy a jersey.

Yikes dude. Time to get with the times. League is far more entertaining now than it was when the Leafs only had 5 opponents to play against.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010

Easily the worst post I've ever seen on HF.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Who are the players Tampa Bay loses to accommodate Stamkos?

Yeah, that's the scary part. Although, Stamkos has to be commended for doing his part on that. No one dreamed he'd accept the 8.5 offer (I don't think anyone dreamed Yzerman would stick to it either), and there's a quote from him from today about how players are going to have to sacrifice to keep this team together He definitely did his part, I'll give him that much.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Maybe the Leafs only offered him $8.5m + endorsements.

I'm surprised they were allowed to march out CEOs of companies offering sponsorships during their meeting. That's almost cap circumvention, no?

I guess it doesn't matter anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad