Prospect Info: Taylor Makar, LW (2021 220th overall)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Truly amazing. Had they taken Taylor with a 3rd pick I be pissed or hell even a 6th but a 7th at 220 cmon. Name me the last 7th rounder this organization picked post cap era that played on a regular with this team. Go on ill wait.

Colin Smith is the only Avs 7th rounder since 2006 to have played in the NHL. He played 1 game.

Before that it was Kyle Cumiskey in 2005, our boy Marek Svatos in 2001, Radim Vrbata in 99, the underrated Sami Pahlsson in 96 and Dan Smith in 95.

But we all know the Avs used to be way better at finding gems late.

Colorado Avalanche Draft History at hockeydb.com

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For all you lot who keep on writing that 7th rounders are a waste...go look at the San Jose Sharks pick history list and come back here saying that with a straight face....

Try looking at the Avs draft history though and say this with a straight face.

They've got 1 NHL game out of the 7th round in the last 16 years.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
giphy.gif

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Try looking at the Avs draft history though and say this with a straight face.

They've got 1 NHL game out of the 7th round in the last 16 years.
I know what you're saying and this will probably be another one in 17 years, but Peter Reynolds and Florian Elias both went undrafted. Not saying those prospects are amazing, but both are superior talents and have much more potential than Taylor.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs need to hire Papa Makar as the Director of Zamboni Parking with an annual seven figure salary.

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
Truly amazing. Had they taken Taylor with a 3rd pick I be pissed or hell even a 6th but a 7th at 220 cmon. Name me the last 7th rounder this organization picked post cap era that played on a regular with this team. Go on ill wait.
Honestly 4th round or later I wouldn’t have been upset, I have zero expectations of us drafting anyone that’ll actually make the team past the 1st round.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Don't think it's wasted. At this point it's the ultimate crap shoot. People will find anything to complain about if they are pissed at a 7th round selection. Just looking at how Cale is and the attitudes/philosophy he was raised with, if any 7th rounder will succeed it's someone cut from the same cloth, who has his older superstar brother there to show him the ropes. This is one nepotism case where you want to keep it in the family.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Hell, when is the last 2nd rounder we've picked that has amounted to anything? (Besides ROR)

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Point still stands :sarcasm:

Edit: point being, we could draft Kamala Harris and the odds that she'd make it to the show is about the same as anyone we've drafted outside of top 10. So who cares if we waste a 7th? Honestly they are all wastes lol. Joe is much better at trading them than drafting them.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Such a nepotism pick that @tigervixxxen was probably screaming at her telly lol. Not a superb skater, however, he actually fits a lot of Avs weaknesses in terms of a lot of his points are down-low. He's great at scoring those rubbish goals and whacking at loose pucks in front of the net or from rebounds. Additionally, he plays a heavy game and loves getting his nose dirty to the point at times he is undisciplined. I really hate that he's playing in the AJHL for the third straight season and him putting more than PPG is absolutely meaningless for me. He might be raw and/or probably doesn't have a lot of talent, but actually plays a style that Avs clearly lack. We'll see how he does and I don't really have any sort of faith of him becoming anything in the future, but he can definitely improve with more one-on-one training (which he has connections) and heading to Calvert's team might give us a bit more hope than to any other NCAA programme. I do think there is some 4th line duties in his game akin to McLeod, but it depends on how passable his puck skills, skating, and IQ get with experience. He is absolutely a four year college player so don't expect anything until his junior/senior year.

It's crazy how different they are, despite only being 2 years apart and having grown up in basically the same environment. Considering Cale is one of the best skaters in the league, you would think his brother would be at least average.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Cale is that type of player, but this kind of move doesn't always work out. Remember that one of the reasons Dougie Hamilton wanted out of Calgary was because they traded his brother Freddie.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I don't think Cale is that type of player, but this kind of move doesn't always work out. Remember that one of the reasons Dougie Hamilton wanted out of Calgary was because they traded his brother Freddie.
That’s my only concern as well… the pick is what it is but hopefully they don’t big brain themselves into a corner and tick cale off with their development or treatment of him down the road.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
One of the benefits to this deal is that even if he doesn't make the NHL, but he can stick in the AHL, he'll still be just down the road from Cale with the Eagles.

So this could help with keeping Cale around in six years when his deal is up.

Looking forward to seeing how Taylor progresses though. If he's got the kind of hard working mentality Cale has, that should help him a lot.
If that comes to fruition would be nice to have Cale aware of what’s going on in the development side of the org which might, might force a little accountability.

Taylor was 2019 eligible, no doubt this is throwing Cale a bone because he mentioned waiting to see if Taylor was going to get drafted during his presser. Still, if we had to get a nepotism pick in there I guess I prefer this to glory years kids.

In the cap era I think the only signed 7th rounders have been CHL kids, maybe Taylor will change that.

Reactions: Foppa2118

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Taylor also isn't as good as Freddie was. I'll be honest, i'll be pleasantly surprised if he even turns himself into a decent AHL forward.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
You guys obviously have never been part of a mafia.

Colorado Avalanche obtain:
Cale Maker’s services for 6 years
Taylor Makar services for 6 months (chasing pucks)

Makar family obtains:
$54M

they made the family an offer they couldn’t refuse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad