Prospect Info: Taylor Makar, LW (2021 220th overall)

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
He moves and celebrates like his brother. Obviously Cale is alot quicker but same movement and same celly. Kid is lanky. If Cale had that height New Jersey probably takes him 1.

I'm not under any illusions he's going to be a star... But I liked some. Of the stuff I saw in that highlight vid!

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Cool. I hope it doesn’t create any awkward situation if we elect not to sign him down the road. But happy for him and the Makar family.

schelstatic

Jul 20, 2010
Darnit, earlier today after Colorado's signing of there free agent defenseman, I knew exactly what name I was going to put on my new Avs jersey, but with this new player now part of the organization, I might go with him instead on my jersey. Decisions, decisions:):huh:

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well its fun for Cale and the fans on social media. But...

I don't follow the draft class in depth, and even I know there were a boat load of better options here. I don't like "wasting" a pick like this. Sorry to be a party pooper.
Its a 7th rounder. The Avs already wasted 4 picks before this one anyways.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Love this pick, not for the reason I think it's a steal or something but for the sheer fact that it makes your star player happy.

This kind of move goes a long way towards future negotiations. I can guarantee that Cale and his family won't forget this.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
People need to get a grip on reality. 7th rounders are super long shots no matter how you slice it. Why not take your superstars brother and at least gain some good will in the eyes of your superstar.
Yeah. Would you rather have another Nils Aman or would you want to give your star player something to get super excited about? I'd imagine Cale is already on the phone with his brother making plans about living together and hanging out in Denver for the next few years once Makar junior gets out of college and moves to the Eagles.

Reactions: MarkT and chet1926

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
People need to get a grip on reality. 7th rounders are super long shots no matter how you slice it. Why not take your superstars brother and at least gain some good will in the eyes of your superstar.
That's why I prefer to take an overager from Europe who is already established in either Sweden, Finland or Russia. Kinda what we did with Mironov. Those shots I like to take.

Tampa picked a 20 year old defenseman who has 100+ games in the KHL already. I like those gambles late on.

Reactions: obZen

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That's why I prefer to take an overager from Europe who is already established in either Sweden, Finland or Russia. Kinda what we did with Mironov. Those shots I like to take.

Tampa picked a 20 year old defenseman who has 100+ games in the KHL already. I like those gambles late on.
I'd rather have my superstars younger brother. No doubt Cale and his family won't forget this. It goes a long way in building a personal relationship with your star player.

And what's to say that Taylor can't develop? He can just add well as any other 7th round long shot.

Reactions: Y3TI and LTC Pain

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'd rather have my superstars younger brother. No doubt Cale and his family won't forget this. It goes a long way in building a personal relationship with your star player.

And what's to say that Taylor can't develop? He can just add well as any other 7th round long shot.
I just like my idea better than asking the stars if they have any friends/family they would like to see drafted.

Ya, maybe he does great, maybe he has a small chance to get an ELC or AHL-deal one day, but he would have gone undrafted if he weren't Cale's brother.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011

No doubt. Keep Cale happy. When it comes down to it in 6 years he’s probably the guy they choose to keep if it comes down to having to choose between Makar and Mack.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Cale compared his brother stylistically to Josh Anderson or Matthew Tkachuk... obviously not talent wise but stylistically in the sense of being a big pest on the ice. Obviously it's a massive long shot but if he can develop well maybe you have a big 12th/13rd forward with some snarl. I mean just this past season we had career face-puncher O'Brien in the lineup so there's always a chance a guy with that style of play can become a useful player.

Reactions: Y3TI and chet1926

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Is this brother reunion around the NHL a coincidence or something is up?

Hughes
Dach
Makar

All joining the team their brother plays for. Am I missing someone else? Feels like I am

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
It is a seventh round pick so the likelihood of anything coming from it is near zero. I would have preferred the Avs to get a goalie since they're so bloody thin there though I am not sure what was out there. Like others have said this is to keep Cale happy.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Is this brother reunion around the NHL a coincidence or something is up?

Hughes
Dach
Makar

All joining the team their brother plays for. Am I missing someone else? Feels like I am
Doan being drafted by Arizona feels like a similar sort of nepotistic reunion, albeit not a brotherly one.

Reactions: the_fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad