Prospect Info: Taylor Makar, LW (2021 220th overall)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
TOR have already set a precedent in dealing for the wrong player with COL. Making we can replicate that by trading Makar for Mattews for example. COL only have to write Taylor in very tiny font on the trade docs.
Who is Mattews?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Matthews. Haha that's what happens when you don't re-read your own post before pressing Send.

This is at least 50% of my posts. I write something up. Hit post. Then read it. Then have to go back and fix a bunch of typos or change a sentence so it makes sense. :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
These articles always crack me up, especially Willsie's comments. That 'slow' start was Makar scoring 7 goals (and both of his assists) in the first 16 games of the season. He went the next 13 games without a single point where he was benched and scratched... then had 3 goals in the last 3 games. Then 30 of his 57 penalties minutes were on two very stupid plays. A dirty check the the head that got him a 5 and a game misconduct... and another where he lost his mind after a hit and speared a guy for another 5 and a game. Carvel was livid after the 2nd one especially. :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
All of Willsie’s comments are increasingly sounding more and more brain dead. The part about role acceptance doesn’t sound terrible here but when a longer quote was included elsewhere, lmao. It’s like David Oliver reincarnated.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
All of Willsie’s comments are increasingly sounding more and more brain dead. The part about role acceptance doesn’t sound terrible here but when a longer quote was included elsewhere, lmao. It’s like David Oliver reincarnated.

Well, it's not like he's going to say that Taylor Makar is having an awful go of it and has no professional chances with all the holes in his game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Realistically... if Taylor Makar is gonna make the NHL full time, he's gotta do it as a physical 4th liner who fights. He's already on his way of a guy who goes over the line physically. :laugh:

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
As with every article written by the media, you have to take into account that the majority of the time when someone is quoted, it's only the bits of those quotes that the writer wants to include, and in the context they want them to be in, that makes it in his/her article. The quotes/context that doesn't slant his/her article in the direction they want, don't make it in. I imagine a lot more was said than just those 5 sentences from Willsie, but we'll never see them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Taylor doesn't have to be a 4th line pugilist to make the NHL. He doesn't even need to be particularly physical, though that would be a nice bonus.

To make a Jared Bednar team, he just needs to skate well, forecheck hard, be engaged defensively, and hound the puck. Everything else will take care of itself.

He's already improved on his speed according to reports from dev camp. The other aspects are very teachable traits, and if he's anything like his brother, he's very teachable.

You don't need to be a big point producer to play for Bednar in the bottom six. You just need to get to the right spots on the ice on the forecheck and backcheck to hound the puck, and always be ready to get on your horse and support the breakout.

Taylor should be modeling his game after LOC.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Taylor doesn't have to be a 4th line pugilist to make the NHL. He doesn't even need to be particularly physical, though that would be a nice bonus.

To make a Jared Bednar team, he just needs to skate well, forecheck hard, be engaged defensively, and hound the puck. Everything else will take care of itself.

He's already improved on his speed according to reports from dev camp. The other aspects are very teachable traits, and if he's anything like his brother, he's very teachable.

You don't need to be a big point producer to play for Bednar in the bottom six. You just need to get to the right spots on the ice on the forecheck and backcheck to hound the puck, and always be ready to get on your horse and support the breakout.

Taylor should be modeling his game after LOC.
I don't know if he's anything like Cale, though lol.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know if he's anything like Cale, though lol.

I think their personalities are different, and Taylor probably wears his heart on his sleeve a little more than Cale.

But some of these aspects like coach ability, and a willingness to learn, and do what it takes to improve yourself and get as close as possible to your potential, can be common themes in families. Their parents seem like they instilled some of these traits in them from a young age too.

Here's some comments I've read in the past that lead me to believe this. Especially the comment about his drive. If he has more drive than Cale, which isn't uncommon for younger siblings, when Cale has a ton himself, that could be enough by itself to get him to the NHL eventually.

That's part of why I say he should model his game after LOC. He wasn't even drafted, but his drive is what got him to the NHL. He just worked and worked and worked until he got there.

"In his first year with UMass, Taylor played in 19 games and scored just one goal, while sitting as a healthy scratch for 18 games including the Hockey East championship.

“Definitely gave me a chip on my shoulder that’s for sure,” Taylor said. “I think going through that really sucks to be put in, put out. You never know if you’re going to play and be that person that’s on the bench, and just kind of sitting there, so really kind of changed my game and how I want to play and just be a trusted guy.”

It wasn’t the first time, he’s been motivated to improve.

From a young age, Taylor Makar’s mentality centered around taking advantage of every opportunity, looking to build his own name.

“We kind of conditioned our kids when they were young, they’re the ones that have to do it themselves,” Taylor’s father Gary Makar said. “He doesn’t expect it to open any doors, in fact, the opposite, sort of thrives under that pressure.”

LINK

“Colorado called me late in the day he was drafted and they said, ‘We’re thinking of taking Taylor. What are your thoughts?’ ” Carvel said. “ ‘We know he’s a bit of a project, but do you think he has what it takes?’ And I said, ‘I do.’ I see how he works out in the weight room, I see the drive he has when he does battle drills on the ice and in skill sessions. When Cale was a sophomore, I’m really close with Gary Makar, and he said, ‘I’m going to tell you Greg, Cale is a good player, but Taylor is the one who has the real drive.’ ”

LINK

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Realistically... if Taylor Makar is gonna make the NHL full time, he's gotta do it as a physical 4th liner who fights. He's already on his way of a guy who goes over the line physically. :laugh:

I was going to say that would be quite the mix of brothers, one who scraps and one who's a choir boy, then I recalled that Cale lit up McCann in his epic heel turn. Cale also trash talked some Coyote one time after destroying him, I think it was Roussel?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I was going to say that would be quite the mix of brothers, one who scraps and one who's a choir boy, then I recalled that Cale lit up McCann in his epic heel turn. Cale also trash talked some Coyote one time after destroying him, I think it was Roussel?

Yeah Cale has a competitive fire in him that burns as hot as Nate, just in a different way. It's more inward and restrained. Taylor's seems more outward and less restrained like Nate.

Nate has learned to restrain his a bit though so he doesn't get too up or down emotionally. Taylor might have to do the same.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Where is he playing this coming season? One thing I noticed statistically, is his production improved at rapid rates per game at every level of hockey he played.

He's 22. Give him a shot in an absolute quality AHL team like the Colorado Eagles. Play him 2/3 C or something and give him a few years.

If he adapts well, like he has everywhere else, call him up not this coming season, but next (or the one after that) depending on his trajectory.

Would love to see two amazing Makars play for the burgundy and blue.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Where is he playing this coming season? One thing I noticed statistically, is his production improved at rapid rates per game at every level of hockey he played.

He's 22. Give him a shot in an absolute quality AHL team like the Colorado Eagles. Play him 2/3 C or something and give him a few years.

If he adapts well, like he has everywhere else, call him up not this coming season, but next (or the one after that) depending on his trajectory.

Would love to see two amazing Makars play for the burgundy and blue.
He's at U-Mass Amherst. College boy, same school as his brother, a good developmental track for him.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Least shocking news ever... for as much as Carvel and Cale fit, Carvel and Taylor are oil and water.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hope he lands on a team where he can develop more. If he can become the Rob to Cale’s Scott that would be great
IMO that puts the hope way too high... Taylor plays like a dumber, less talented version of Miles Wood. If we get an AHL Miles Wood out of Taylor, that's a huge win for his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00