Prospect Info: Taylor Makar, LW (2021 220th overall)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
One of the benefits to this deal is that even if he doesn't make the NHL, but he can stick in the AHL, he'll still be just down the road from Cale with the Eagles.

So this could help with keeping Cale around in six years when his deal is up.

Looking forward to seeing how Taylor progresses though. If he's got the kind of hard working mentality Cale has, that should help him a lot.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I have no problem with this pick. Keep Cale happy. With that said everything that will be coming Taylor's way from this point on I hope it will be on merit.

Congrats Taylor and welcome to the Avs' organization.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Love this pick.

Low risk and high reward. Teams are increasingly considering the intangible value of family ie. CHI & NJD. Motivated to work extremely hard to join his brother on the team.

Reactions: Richard88

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Taylor will also have the benefit of offseason workouts with his brother who will have the best offseason personal trainers that money can buy.
Man I feel Makar doesn’t even have to train. He’s the most naturally talented player I’ve seen come through in recent memory. Mackinnon for example is what he is because of how hard he works. He’s a tank. Cale on the other hand I feel can just watch Netflix all summer, splurge on the occasional Slurpee and show up to camp ready to rock

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Man I feel Makar doesn’t even have to train. He’s the most naturally talented player I’ve seen come through in recent memory. Mackinnon for example is what he is because of how hard he works. He’s a tank. Cale on the other hand I feel can just watch Netflix all summer, splurge on the occasional Slurpee and show up to camp ready to rock

Today is a 2 Slurpee day, Makar household letting loose!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The crazy thing is you're right, but Cale also works his ass off to get better. That's why he's so good.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's a late 7th round pick in a weak draft, might as well take a flyer on him. Of all the 32 teams that could have done this, he'll work hardest for the Avs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Surprised there would even be an ounce of disappointment with this pick. He's a 7th rounder.

I think some might have forgotten the Avs track record outside the 1st round. He's probably already made a bigger impact on the organization than someone else they might have picked in the 7th.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Cale's full name is Cale Douglas Makar. They should have called Taylor....Cole Slaw Makar.

Ok I'll let myself out.....

UnpleasantRichEmeraldtreeskink-max-1mb.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Such a nepotism pick that @tigervixxxen was probably screaming at her telly lol. Not a superb skater, however, he actually fits a lot of Avs weaknesses in terms of a lot of his points are down-low. He's great at scoring those rubbish goals and whacking at loose pucks in front of the net or from rebounds. Additionally, he plays a heavy game and loves getting his nose dirty to the point at times he is undisciplined. I really hate that he's playing in the AJHL for the third straight season and him putting more than PPG is absolutely meaningless for me. He might be raw and/or probably doesn't have a lot of talent, but actually plays a style that Avs clearly lack. We'll see how he does and I don't really have any sort of faith of him becoming anything in the future, but he can definitely improve with more one-on-one training (which he has connections) and heading to Calvert's team might give us a bit more hope than to any other NCAA programme. I do think there is some 4th line duties in his game akin to McLeod, but it depends on how passable his puck skills, skating, and IQ get with experience. He is absolutely a four year college player so don't expect anything until his junior/senior year.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Surprised there would even be an ounce of disappointment with this pick. He's a 7th rounder.

I think some might have forgotten the Avs track record outside the 1st round. He's probably already made a bigger impact on the organization than someone else they might have picked in the 7th.
Truly amazing. Had they taken Taylor with a 3rd pick I be pissed or hell even a 6th but a 7th at 220 cmon. Name me the last 7th rounder this organization picked post cap era that played on a regular with this team. Go on ill wait.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
7th rounders rarely make the NHL but if nothing else I hope this made the Makar family's day. Congrats to little brother!
For all you lot who keep on writing that 7th rounders are a waste...go look at the San Jose Sharks pick history list and come back here saying that with a straight face....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad