Value of: Taylor Hall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
You really believe that?

Anyone who needs to ignore "silly stats" to craft their narrative probably doesn't have a very strong argument.

Well then, let's dig into those "silly stats".

Aceboogie over on HFOil posted some advanced stats breakdowns from Garret Hohl.

I posted some controversial pro Klefbom stuff a couple days back, so only fair to post some pro Larsson stuff as well (although this will probably be better received)

C7yTreJVYAA-V5C.jpg:large

What too take out of this: Probably a bit of a bitter sweet warning

When Larsson is on the ice the team does significantly better goal wise. His impact on actual goals is 12th in the league. So really good

Why is it bitter sweet? If you look at the other metrics, you'll see Larsson is not really comparable to guys like Giorando, OEL, Hedman, Lindholm. His impact in terms of expected goals is much lower (although not nearly drastic as Maata or Myers). Expected goals being the amount of goals you expect to be scored based on historical shooting %s from volume of shots and location of shots with them on ice. So Larsson appears to be getting some lucky bounces this year as evidenced by gap between actual goals and expected goals

However that's no reason to knock what hes been able to do. Which is be really good defensively and impact the team positively from an actual goals POV

There's an actual argument, using stats, that supports the stance that many Oilers fans currently have that Larsson is having a significant positive impact on the Oilers this season.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If you are claiming the Oilers improved dramatically partially because Hall isn't on the team, then you are just wrong.

Uh yeah, I'm right. :)

The Oilers needed to get rid of the old core. Hall was the first one shppied out. Eberle is pretty likely to head out this off-season. Nuge might go.

I like Hall, the Oilers failures weren't all on him. To say that he didn't contribute to the Oiler's failures at all is ridiculous.

The Oilers top two lines have all played every game this season. Hall got hurt again. Seven year career. Missed games due to injury in all but one of those seasons.

Durability matters. Playing smart and not getting hurt is a consideration when you get hurt all the time.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Love the Doughty interview before tonight's game. Says before their top players only cared about points and didn't play defense. Says this year is a different story. Not hard to figure out who he was talking about.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Love the Doughty interview before tonight's game. Says before their top players only cared about points and didn't play defense. Says this year is a different story. Not hard to figure out who he was talking about.

I suspect Hall will figure it out one day. Three more seasons with the Devils missing the playoffs and his market will be relatively soft when he becomes a UFA.

The Oilers absolutely wouldn't trade Larsson back for Hall straight up now. Would New Jersey take a do over on that trade?

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
I suspect Hall will figure it out one day. Three more seasons with the Devils missing the playoffs and his market will be relatively soft when he becomes a UFA.

The Oilers absolutely wouldn't trade Larsson back for Hall straight up now. Would New Jersey take a do over on that trade?

I'm one of few people who thought edm won that deal... funny how everyone wants to switch up there opinions :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'm one of few people who thought edm won that deal... funny how everyone wants to switch up there opinions :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

I honestly was wait and see because I didn't really know enough about Larsson. I suspected there was a team chemistry component to the deal as it looked like such a steal for NJ according to the stat boi crowd.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
All of Larsson's 17 points are at ES. His ES offense looks pretty good. He doesn't get PP time on any unit.

His D-Partner Klefbom has 19 ES points in reference.

He puts up .71 points/60 at even strength, which is 123rd in the league out of 260 D who've played at least 50 minutes this year. He's not an offensive defenseman, which is fine. You'll find nothing but love for Adam among Devils fans. Giving him up was hard, and we've suffered this year for it.

That said, we still do the trade 100 times out of 100.

Last edited:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

New Jersey makes the trade again without thinking. I love Adam Larsson, and any legitimate Devils fan would tell you he was extremely underrated. When everyone was overreacting to the trade, most of us were pretty adamant that the trade wasn't as lopsided as it seemed. So we're not exactly thrown off by how Larsson has performed in Edmonton. We were well aware of how good he was.

With that being said, the Devils were starving for offense and Hall is a legitimate first line scoring threat. Without moving Larsson, there's no chance the Devils would be able to get a player of Hall's caliber without waiting for an 18 year old draft pick to potentially pan out. With better linemates, Hall is one of the best wingers in the entire league.

So no, the Devils would not re-think the trade.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I actually love how pro-Larsson so many Oilers fans are now. A lot of the stuff being said is the same that Devils fans were saying before and after the trade. You now have two separate fan basis giving great reviews, so perhaps more neutrals need to actually dig deeper into why that is.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton

Are you kidding. They would have to admit loosing the trade. Some on their boards have it figured out. But they get ganged up on for it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Do you seriously believe all of the things that you post? yikes

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Believe Doughty over you.

and I believe literally all of his teammates in EDM and NJ over you, so

Hall is putting up close to 0.8 PPG on a bottom 3 team in the league. If he had ANY help whatsoever (aside from Palmieri the past month or two), he'd probably be well over 1 PPG

the Devils are bad because they have a poor D corps that absolutely SUCKS at transitioning out of their zone and they have little to no secondary scoring. Their all world goalie also is having a down year.

On the Devils list of problems, I'd put Taylor Hall like 60th

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
and I believe literally all of his teammates in EDM and NJ over you, so

Hall is putting up close to 0.8 PPG on a bottom 3 team in the league. If he had ANY help whatsoever (aside from Palmieri the past month or two), he'd probably be well over 1 PPG

the Devils are bad because they have a poor D corps that absolutely SUCKS at transitioning out of their zone and they have little to no secondary scoring. Their all world goalie also is having a down year.

On the Devils list of problems, I'd put Taylor Hall like 60th

We have watched him for 6 years. NJ has had him less than a year. Give it time.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We have watched him for 6 years. NJ has had him less than a year. Give it time.

not sure what the numbers of years have to do with anything whatsoever, but you can continue to have your (wrong) opinion though!

Especially considering he was just a kid most of his time in Edmonton.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
not sure what the numbers of years have to do with anything whatsoever, but you can continue to have your (wrong) opinion though!

Especially considering he was just a kid most of his time in Edmonton.

So if you watch a player for 6 years as opposed to 1. Which player do you think you have a better read on. Wow can't believe I had to explain that to you. And you say I'm a goat. Lol

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
well, when pretty much every other person (Oilers fans included) has said that you don't know what you're talking about, excuse me for being skeptical of your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad