Value of: Taylor Hall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Meh, even if you're correct, which I have no idea whether he is or isn't a good guy off the ice, who cares?

A) He was a teenager or in his early 20s in Edmonton, people are immature then.

B) The guy wants to win more than anything. He literally says he'll take less money to be on a good team when his deal is up. This could negatively effect my team, yet, I support his logic and reasoning. It shows his priorities are in the right place.

C) The guy was loyal to a garbage Oiler team and was broken up over leaving. The guy cares and wants to win.

this. No idea why some oiler fans go after Hall. He was the only piece on this team that cared about winning and performed like a star, never threw any of his teammates under the bus in his stint in edmonton (which he should have) considering bums like horcoff and Ference thought they were slick taking jabs at the young players in their interviews.

Halls a beast

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
this. No idea why some oiler fans go after Hall. He was the only piece on this team that cared about winning and performed like a star, never threw any of his teammates under the bus in his stint in edmonton (which he should have) considering bums like horcoff and Ference thought they were slick taking jabs at the young players in their interviews.

Halls a beast

As an Oiler fan I go after Hall because of his reputation off the ice in Edmonton.

To me the type of person you are when the cameras are off matters as much as what you do when the cameras are on. He was and continues to be a great left winger. I don't miss him though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As an Oiler fan I go after Hall because of his reputation off the ice in Edmonton.

To me the type of person you are when the cameras are off matters as much as what you do when the cameras are on. He was and continues to be a great left winger. I don't miss him though.

The moment he got traded more stories of his off ice attitude came out. If he was getting 100pts it would not have been a problem.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Halls a beast

I don't recall Horcoff saying anything. Ference never named names, but we all knew who he was referencing and we all knew it was justified considering other guys like Belanger and Scrivens alluded to the issue(s) as well - that there was division in the room (clique groups), that guys were more worried about plans after practice than practice itself, that veterans weren't shown the usual respect they receive in a normal locker room. Hall was the face of the franchise prior to McDavid showing up, and that was the identity of "his" team.

Say what you will about Ference's on ice play (completely underwhelming), but the guy is a straight shooter and very active in off ice initiatives/charities. If Hall had his intangibles and off-ice persona, he might still be an Oiler.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I don't recall Horcoff saying anything. Ference never named names, but we all knew who he was referencing and we all knew it was justified considering other guys like Belanger and Scrivens alluded to the issue(s) as well - that there was division in the room (clique groups), that guys were more worried about plans after practice than practice itself, that veterans weren't shown the usual respect they receive in a normal locker room. Hall was the face of the franchise prior to McDavid showing up, and that was the identity of "his" team.

Say what you will about Ference's on ice play (completely underwhelming), but the guy is a straight shooter and very active in off ice initiatives/charities. If Hall had his intangibles and off-ice persona, he might still be an Oiler.

because usually veterans lead by example, not play like hot garbage for multiple seasons then in the post game interview state " yeah were a young team who makes mistakes, but the young guys are coming around and will learn evebtually" when it was obvious to anyone watching that Horcoff, Ference and Smyth (still a legend but you need to know when to quit) were total liabilities every night yet they (Ference usually, sometimes Horcoff) would pass off the failure onto the young kids who actually performed pretty well

KidLine93

May 15, 2012

I assume you didn't want Mark Messier on the team for those cups in the 80's then?

because it's well known he was a huge jerk and cancer off the ice but was a damn good player on it.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I assume you didn't want Mark Messier on the team for those cups in the 80's then?

because it's well known he was a huge jerk and cancer off the ice but was a damn good player on it.

Are trying to set a record for most uninformed posts on one page or what?

Literally everything you've said has been ass backwards.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Would give up a lot for him. Maatta+Sprong+1st

Hall-Crosby-Sheary
Guentzel-Malkin-Kessel

Would easily send Maatta, Sprong, and 1st.

Though would leave the Kids with Sid and play Hall with Geno.

Sheary - Crosby - Guentzel
Hall - Malkin - Kessel
Hagelin - ? - Rust
Wilson - ? - Kuhnhackl

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Hall - Malkin - Kessel
Hagelin - ? - Rust
Wilson - ? - Kuhnhackl

Hall does much better driving his own line.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
because usually veterans lead by example, not play like hot garbage for multiple seasons then in the post game interview state " yeah were a young team who makes mistakes, but the young guys are coming around and will learn evebtually" when it was obvious to anyone watching that Horcoff, Ference and Smyth (still a legend but you need to know when to quit) were total liabilities every night yet they (Ference usually, sometimes Horcoff) would pass off the failure onto the young kids who actually performed pretty well

See.... THIS... this is the attitude that kept those kids from winning.

CERTAINLY guys like Horcoff, Ference and Smyth were getting too old and too slow to make a difference. Younger faster men were beating them out of the corner and generating offense.

BUT WHAT THE KIDS DIDN'T GET was that they WERE still leading by example. It wasn't Horcoff or Ference losing the puck at the opposite blue line because they were too proud to chip it in. It wasn't them cheating for offense at our blue line or curling into the neutral zone hoping for a miracle pass that only a handful of guys in the league can make consistently. That was our KIDS.

The problem in our room is that our vets were physically too past their prime to command credibility from younger, talented and immature kids. But that doesn't mean they didn't deserve it or have something to teach (I mean Ference, Horcoff and Smyth were VERY respected players not because of their physical attributes, but because of their competitiveness, leadership and coach-ability).

On REAL teams, players are respected for the mental effort and commitment they put in. It is much easier to forgive your teammate (and bail them out) for a physical error (like he was too slow and got beat in a race) than for a mental one (like he knows he's too slow and he put himself in an idiotically vulnerable position before getting beat by a guy he knows is faster than him).

Our Oiler children didn't understand this rule until this year... now they chip it in at the blue line rather than attempt a 10% success-rate play that they still think is 70% successful for them (arrogance of youth).

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Hall - Malkin - Kessel
Hagelin - ? - Rust
Wilson - ? - Kuhnhackl

I'm sure you would :laugh:

Literally zero chance in hell Hall gets moved, but if he did, it'd be a lateral one-for-one similar to the deal that brought him to Jersey last June.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. We have 3 rookies who are going to outpoint him this season.

7 Straight years without sniffing playoffs, and Edmonton makes it the year of the trade.

That's not a fluke

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
At some point people gotta quit blaming the team he is on.

Hall leaves the Oilers. The Oilers improve dramatically. 25 ~ 30 points in a worst case scenario.

Hall comes to the Devils. The Devils fall off precipitously. ~ 10 points if they play a little over .500 on the way in.

Not saying Hall doesn't have value, but if he ever does make a deep playoff run it will be as a complementary piece and not as the main offensive guy on a team.

If he went to a top team like the Pens , Washington or Chicago and their play dropped off you would have a point . In Edmonton we had crap D what was he suppose to do ? Play D too ? NJD was a playoff bubble team in the east and trade one of their top D on top of that their goalie isn't playing lights out like he did last year . I guess all that is Hall,s fault ?

LOL at me defending him . I was happy with the trade I wanted him traded for a few years . Not because he is a bad player just he had the value to bring back the D we needed . On top of that a winger is the easiest thing to replace .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Thanks god your not our GM. We're fine without Hall. Thank you very much. Any trade that brings Hall Back is a pipe dream. Chia knows all the garbage that comes with Hall. Now go to your room.

Yeah we are fine with out him . But is is not his fault we were bad while he was here . Last off season Chia add Lucic, Larsson , Russell , Caggiula and then McDavid has played ever games so far same as Klefbom . Nurse has taken a step forward . Cam Talbot has been much better this year . So we added size , D and 3 young players stayed healthy and took steps forward and this is because Hall isn't here ?

Best look at my postings for a few years I was calling for him to be traded . Not because of Hall,s play . But we needed a change and he had the most value

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
New Jersey should trade him for futures ASAP. They aren't winning with him as their best player, and they aren't accquiring a better player with him on the team.

It sucks, but NJ needs a full rebuild to be successful. Probably Schneider too

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah we are fine with out him . But is is not his fault we were bad while he was here . Last off season Chia add Lucic, Larsson , Russell , Caggiula and then McDavid has played ever games so far same as Klefbom . Nurse has taken a step forward . Cam Talbot has been much better this year . So we added size , D and 3 young players stayed healthy and took steps forward and this is because Hall isn't here ?

Best look at my postings for a few years I was calling for him to be traded . Not because of Hall,s play . But we needed a change and he had the most value

Yeah dont need a run down on players Chia brought in, and their development. And I certainly don't need to go back looking at your posts. I too have called for his trade for years. Yes because of his value. But more for his attitude,on ice issues, off ice crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad