Tanner "The Rangers' Class Pet Rock" Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
For what it is worth it takes a lot of pieces falling in to place to get to reach that level. I have buddies strewn throughout the show, ncaa, and Europe; most were no more skilled than anyone else on my youth and junior teams (few of them were incredible though), they just got an opportunity and made the most of it. Just being good at hockey isn't enough to make it to the show.

Tanner Glass is brutal, he is only in the NHL because of his physicality and ability to become a punching bag when needed, he would get walked by a fair amount of people that I know.

Im going to go with there being a problem in your talent evaluation rather than knowing the most unlucky collection of hockey stars in the world.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
He wasn't brought here for his talent level, his job is to protect his team and be a good guy in the room.

you understand that you cannot waste a roster spot on a guy who "protects" the team from 1 scrum a game, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Another guy that was sorta booed and mocked was Ronald Petrovicky. He was a wiaver wire acquisition who skated and tried to hit anything. I remember going to games and fans would chant his name in a weird foreign accent when he was on the ice "Petroveeekeee"

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
you understand that you cannot waste a roster spot on a guy who "protects" the team from 1 scrum a game, right?

yeah, and i dont buy that he even does that.

games with or without him seem to have the same amount of physicality and danger.

goons that cant play are utterly useless in this day and age.

AV seems to think so with his words..just not with his actions.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
yeah, and i dont buy that he even does that.

games with or without him seem to have the same amount of physicality and danger.

goons that cant play are utterly useless in this day and age.

AV seems to think so with his words..just not with his actions.

i dont either, I was just trying to make a point in his specific case.

Goons simply cant waste a spot because the game is much faster than it was 15 years ago, which means that you can't afford to have a player only play 5 minutes a game

Moore-Stempniak looks fine as a 4th line. I'd like to see Fast play a little more like Carcillo

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wish we'd have just kept Car Bomb. Cheaper, and despite playing a little less than Glass, is dramatically more effective. I just don't get it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He wasn't brought here for his talent level, his job is to protect his team and be a good guy in the room.

Nobody should ever be brought in for any explanation that starts with "they're a bad hockey player, but..."

You can sacrifice scoring prowess or very sharp d for a tough guy who people like, you can't totally sacrifice any good play on either side of the puck. Other players do what Glass is supposed to do fine enough, he's particularly terrible at it.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Carcillo can't handle heavy weights.

Who gives a ****? So he'll lose a Fight against some goon. Then what? At least he can be part of a great 4th line. Which is something Glass can only dream of.

Glass can't forecheck. He can't backcheck. He can't score. But at least he can bash some people. Yay.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Im going to go with there being a problem in your talent evaluation rather than knowing the most unlucky collection of hockey stars in the world.
Yeah, I guess if you think the players around you are quasi-NHL-quality, it allows you to think you're a lot better than you are.

I wish we'd have just kept Car Bomb. Cheaper, and despite playing a little less than Glass, is dramatically more effective. I just don't get it.
My theory is that after Carcillo's antics in the playoffs, they wanted as low maintenance a scrapper as they could find.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

Problem with Carcillo is he is gets himself thrown out sometimes, 5-min majors, etc. He could hurt the team that way.

He's definitely a better player than Glass, that's for sure.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Carcillo can't handle heavy weights.

This year, Glass has fought: Andrew Desjardins, Cody McLeod, Lance Bouma, Adam McQuaid, Jared Boll, and Brandon Prust. Three heavies and three middleweights. So you're telling me that those three fights that Carcillo couldn't handle (which is debatable anyway) somehow outweigh the fact that Tanner Glass is the worst player in the league when it comes to on-ice goal production? Okay.

Glass neutralizes an entire line when he plays. One of OUR lines. It's terrible. We become a three-line team. If we haven't by now learned the importance of having four lines that can play, we're ****ed.

Last edited:

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Yeah, I guess if you think the players around you are quasi-NHL-quality, it allows you to think you're a lot better than you are.

My theory is that after Carcillo's antics in the playoffs, they wanted as low maintenance a scrapper as they could find.
I think this is exactly what Sather was thinking, we only had to deal with his antics for a playoff run and not a full season. Glen hit a home run on the low maintenance part, as well as low quality, low hockey IQ, low point production, low everything. :nod:

still holding out hope if we make a move at the deadline for a rental with a team thats cutting costs and rebuilding we can tack on an extra pick and ship him out.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This year, Glass has fought: Andrew Desjardins, Cody McLeod, Lance Bouma, Adam McQuaid, Jared Boll, and Brandon Prust. Three heavies and three middleweights. So you're telling me that those three fights that Carcillo couldn't handle (which is debatable anyway) somehow outweigh the fact that Tanner Glass is the worst player in the league when it comes to on-ice goal production? Okay.

Glass neutralizes an entire line when he plays. One of OUR lines. It's terrible. We become a three-line team. If we haven't by now learned the importance of having four lines that can play, we're ****ed.

He was clearly being sarcastic.......

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Can't wait until fighting is completely irrelevant.

The day that I can watch an NHL game without seeing some dud of an enforcer is the day I am a happy camper. I honestly can't believe players like Glass, Shawn Thornton, John Scott etc exist in the NHL in 2015.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Can't wait until fighting is completely irrelevant.

The day that I can watch an NHL game without seeing some dud of an enforcer is the day I am a happy camper. I honestly can't believe players like Glass, Shawn Thornton, John Scott etc exist in the NHL in 2015.
I dream of the day when they are still around, but not on my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad