Pre-Game Talk: Tampa @ Toronto - Game 2 - Thursday

Ho Lee Mackinaw

Oct 12, 2022
This is a huge point.. and quite frankly the turn off for me since the shuffling started many moons ago..

We are playing a team where every player knows their role.
Agreed. I am at a loss for why the Leafs have not had stable lines for almost the entire season. And I can't imagine the players like the constant shuffling. It looks like Keefe is desperately throwing everything against the wall in the hope that something sticks. What's most frustrating is that he has had all season to figure this out but he hasn't and the shuffling continues into the playoffs.

Reactions: geo25 and andora

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Playoff strategy is to make teams pay for winning when the game gets out of reach.

Also playoff strategy to not further risk injury for a player like Matthews who has an injury history and likely still isn't even 100%. I think I agree with you to some extent though, but not sure I would leave that up to Matthews when we have other players suited for that role now.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Also playoff strategy to not further risk injury for a player like Matthews who has an injury history and likely still isn't even 100%. I think I agree with you to some extent though, but not sure I would leave that up to Matthews when we have other players suited for that role now.
No, fully agree. Our third and fourth lines should've been running people. I don't think the issue was Matthews/Marner/Willy last game.

Agreed. I am at a loss for why the Leafs have not had stable lines for almost the entire season. And I can't imagine the players like the constant shuffling. It looks like Keefe is desperately throwing everything against the wall in the hope that something sticks. What's most frustrating is that he has had all season to figure this out but he hasn't and the shuffling continues into the playoffs.
We did to start, Matthews-Willy went 32GF/10GA and then never saw eachother again.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 11.55.06 PM.png

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No, fully agree. Our third and fourth lines should've been running people. I don't think the issue was Matthews/Marner/Willy last game.

We did to start, Matthews-Willy went 32GF/10GA and then never saw eachother again.

Well Hey, Bunting ran Cernak and now he's gone for 3 games. I don't know if that qualifies or not but I don't condone hits like that.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Well Hey, Bunting ran Cernak and now he's gone for 3 games. I don't know if that qualifies or not but I don't condone hits like that.
I never said illegally but at the end of the day he traded for a player more impactful than himself so I'll take it. And with their D hurting bad it was even better. Hedman, Cernak, and Cole on the limp? Thanks Bunting.

If one of our 4th liners took down Sergachev I'd have called that game a win.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I never said illegally but at the end of the day he traded for a player more impactful than himself so I'll take it. And with their D hurting bad it was even better. Hedman, Cernak, and Cole on the limp? Thanks Bunting.

If one of our 4th liners took down Sergachev I'd have called that game a win.

I had the same thoughts but that's a dangerous game to be playing when Tampa has some players who wouldn't hesitate to do the same to Marner or Matthews if games get out of reach for them.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I had the same thoughts but that's a dangerous game to be playing when Tampa has some players who wouldn't hesitate to do the same to Marner or Matthews if games get out of reach for them.
They will anyways. You think because we didn't they wont? We'll see I guess but I would bet everything I have they will.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
And they would get applauded for it by the same people that freak out over what bunting did. See bruins headshot today when the game was out of reach. No penalty, no review, I'd bet no suspension either.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
And they would get applauded for it by the same people that freak out over what bunting did. See bruins headshot today when the game was out of reach. No penalty, no review, I'd bet no suspension either.

Yeah you're absolutely right about that one. We play by a different set of rules and standards

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
It was already announced that Bunting had a hearing (actually almost 2 hours ago now)

Reactions: TMLeafer

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
They will anyways. You think because we didn't they wont? We'll see I guess but I would bet everything I have they will.

No, I think they would too. But maybe not quite as badly had that Bunting hit not happened. We'll see, but I think prioritizing goals scored + goals prevented over injuring the other team is our best bet.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
And when the Wild game went out of reach they had 7 misconducts (I didn't watch, the Kings game resumed). Boston had 5 minutes, Wild had 7, we had 20.

Learning is hard
The refs were throwing out chintzy misconducts to avoid an explosive end to an intense emotional game.
Not saying the Wild didn’t finish the game without determination, they certainly did that but the misconducts were fire extinguishers.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
And when the Wild game went out of reach they had 7 misconducts (I didn't watch, the Kings game resumed). Boston had 5 minutes, Wild had 7, we had 20.

Learning is hard

last year leafs won the game 5-0; gm1; you know what tampa did? they didn't go down without a fight. There was a line brawl; there were hits; they even got clifford suspended. Tampa didn't bendover and said yea we couldnt score you have scored 5 goals see you next game. Tampa was hitting and sending a message.

And guess what we did when the game was out of reach. Playing for the clock to run out. No message sent; no pride, no heart. No guts no glory.

It was frustrating to watch as a hockey fan. Meanwhile justin holl not only played the 2nd most minutes and was on ice for 6 goals against like a pylon; keefe still has holl penciled in for game 2.

Coaching staff hasn't learned; don't hold players accountable why would the players change and learn anything?

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
last year leafs won the game 5-0; gm1; you know what tampa did? they didn't go down without a fight. There was a line brawl; there were hits; they even got clifford suspended. Tampa didn't bendover and said yea we couldnt score you have scored 5 goals see you next game. Tampa was hitting and sending a message.

And guess what we did when the game was out of reach. Playing for the clock to run out. No message sent; no pride, no heart. No guts no glory.

It was frustrating to watch as a hockey fan. Meanwhile justin holl not only played the 2nd most minutes and was on ice for 6 goals against like a pylon; keefe still has holl penciled in for game 2.

Coaching staff hasn't learned; don't hold players accountable why would the players change and learn anything?

"Same as always. We're all happy to be with this organization"

LOL HOLL IS ECSTATIC

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

"Same as always. We're all happy to be with this organization"

LOL HOLL IS ECSTATIC

I sure hoped they are mad/angry as much as the fanbase.

And people here are always talking about "skill this and skill that". Babcock used to say will over skill and people made fun of babcock for it.

Saw this on twitter, about Cooper's speech during Tampa's two cup finals/wins. I wonder if people now want to make fun of cooper's will over skill speech

deprw

Mar 7, 2010

And people here are always talking about "skill this and skill that". Babcock used to say will over skill and people made fun of babcock for it.

Saw this on twitter, about Cooper's speech during Tampa's two cup finals/wins. I wonder if people now want to make fun of cooper's will over skill speech

Well this depends on a player and a person, if you play your best game when you're relaxed it is best to play relaxed. If you play better thinking it's children game rather than game of death you'd better play it your way.

Not every person is like Michael Jordan and can't be.

That shouldn't affect that will part anyway, it is different thing. Not quitting or out willing someone is a different thing.

Some need to be angry and some need to be relaxed. I tried every angle when I played and I needed to be relaxed before the games, because I really dial in when I put my jersey on. If I'd concentrate whole day and tell myself that it is the most important game of my life it would take me over and I'd make way more mistakes. It was odd and nimble road, but my best games have been those when I have joked with my buddies before and during the game, but in the game I was dialed in 110%.

It was pretty sad moment to realize mid of my "playing career", since I could lift my game into completely another level, when I came in relaxed and to have fun. This same works for me in my profession also. I hell always know it's important to me and others, so I won't f*** it up, but if I think about it constantly I just drain myself. I don't need that extra motivation, but some might.

So sometimes when you think you should be even more angry and you want to succeed. Think about loosening it up for once. It might help.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
To be honest, assuming game 1 is repeated 3 more times, I would be OK with move anyone - literally - Matthews or our monotone "learning" captain. If we lose this series epically, clearly this combination of players is not working. But this management will never have the balls to trade any of the core 4. Probably would trade Nylander (who I am ok with trading), but at his cap hit and his ability to up his game in the playoffs he'd be the wrong target to move first imo.

I like the lack of f-bombs.

Reactions: geo25 and Leterman

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
put up or shut up day boys. Let’s go Leafs. Someone put Perry into the 3rd row tonight please.

Lily I hope you’re in.
Knies I hope you’re in.

I hope we have 12-6. Not 11-7.

Sammy!!!! LFG

Reactions: Burnie97

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Empty words at his point.
Same with all the "they care deeply" bs from Dubas
Show it

And he always goes back to JT and Nylander - despite the fact they've never clicked

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad