Management Sweeney, Neely II

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So what’s the deal- Sweeney have a new contract or what? What do you figure is the hold up?

It’s got to impact potential coaching and player decisions

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So what’s the deal- Sweeney have a new contract or what? What do you figure is the hold up?

It's been a chunk of time since Neely suggesting it was pretty much done after the Canes series.

I wonder if fans general unhappiness with Sweeney has made Jacobs have a rethink.

Reactions: BMC

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Well that's the good thing about having a scapegoat, right? Unfortunately for Sweeney and Neely, this is a card they only get to play once. If they fired Cassidy and put all the blame on him, which they clearly are doing, the next guy they hire better be able to make this team perform better otherwise, the blame falls back on them for piss poor roster construction. Which is really the problem to start with.

I mean really, is it Cassidy's system/style of play or the fact that they have a roster full of 4 top 6 forwards and 2 top 4 dmen complimented by a slew of bottom pairing types and a glut of bottom 6 forwards? If anything, Cassidy should be getting praised for making chicken salad out of chicken shit.
the funny thing about Cassidy taking heat from the FO about not implementing a strong cycle/down low game with this team is that as I remember it when Cassidy took over for Claude in 2017, that was one of the most refreshing things about his system. Claude had become way too reliant on chucking low percentage shots from the points and it resulted in the Bruins being terrible at generating high danger offense. Cassidy came in and immediately made adjustments to have the Bruins use down low plays more regularly to stretch out the D and allow the point guys more room to work when the puck eventually reached them.

This was one of the STRENGTHS of Cassidy's system when he took over. I don't think Cassidy actively changed his approach over the years, but we do know that the depth of this team's roster has steadily declined since 2019 (this was the peak under Sweeney but even then they had holes).

I think the most likely explanation is that losing high level puck movers like Krug & Krejci has really hurt the team's ability to implement Cassidy's actual preferred style of play. The FO shouldn't criticizing Cassidy for this, they should be looking in the mirror.

just working on the contract details I imagine.

probably just trying to get it in writing that he doesn't have to make any trades until the trade deadline every year.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
1 good thing will be when Donny is finally fired Bruins should be at bottom with high picks.Imagine blaming Cassidy but giving him Foligino.Just Mind-boggling how that guy is still in charge with bad drafts and holes everywhere up front.Bruce gone should finally expose him.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
1 good thing will be when Donny is finally fired Bruins should be at bottom with high picks.Imagine blaming Cassidy but giving him Foligino.Just Mind-boggling how that guy is still in charge with bad drafts and holes everywhere up front.Bruce gone should finally expose him.
Some how the guy that sat David Backes in game 7 of the SCF, is given a worse version of Backes in Foligno as one of the "key" signings of the off-season. While staring at the empty void that was the 2nd line center spot.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Some how the guy that sat David Backes in game 7 of the SCF, is given a worse version of Backes in Foligno as one of the "key" signings of the off-season. While staring at the empty void that was the 2nd line center spot.
Yes sitting Backes was sad and not right .Bruce got that wrong for sure and I say that if they had won or lost.The 2nd line centre hole I thought Haula did best he could but your right Sweeney blunders.

Reactions: Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Yes sitting Backes was sad and not right .Bruce got that wrong for sure and I say that if they had won or lost.The 2nd line centre hole I thought Haula did best he could but your right Sweeney blunders.
I didn't completely have a problem with sitting Backes in the game. Although, I think he'd still have been better than Karson Kuhlman... regardless, we saw Backes as a mistake. We paid to get rid of him. THEN went on to again overpay a veteran presence that is barely a top 12 forward on this team.

I don't even hate Foligno, but to continually keep trying to get that physical player that's already slowed down, really makes me think Sweeney is out of his league here. I know we are all a bunch of armchair GM's here, but that contract was bad news the second the ink dried.

Considering the team still needed a #1LD and a #2C, awful awful cap and roster management. AGAIN. And look at us now, we need 2 top 6 C's, hopefully one with top line potential. I just don't see it in our system at the moment.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I really don't think a lick of difference would've been made whether Backes or Kuhlman dressed in that game. Neither was an impact player at that point, Backes was the safer pick while Kuhlman had scored in game 6. It was a coin flip/dice roll either way. But the 2nd line RW probably didn't affect the outcome that night.

I do think scratching a respected veteran leader like Backes for game 7 rubbed the veteran core the wrong way though.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I really don't think a lick of difference would've been made whether Backes or Kuhlman dressed in that game. Neither was an impact player at that point, Backes was the safer pick while Kuhlman had scored in game 6. It was a coin flip/dice roll either way. But the 2nd line RW probably didn't affect the outcome that night.

I do think scratching a respected veteran leader like Backes for game 7 rubbed the veteran core the wrong way though.
Certainly seemed to rub the hockey gods the wrong way - talk about hubris

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
nope, this team won`t even tank properly, still play well enough to pick at the 13/14th spot

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
nope, this team won`t even tank properly, still play well enough to pick at the 13/14th spot
Good enough that they won't sell at deadline, and simultaneously not make the playoffs. It's the lose-lose of professional sports. Slightly below mediocre.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it rubbed them the wrong way. But if I'm the coach the day of a Game 7 winner-take-all for the cup, I want my players relaxed and as clear-headed as possible. Avoid even the slightest distraction like healthy scratching an Assistant Captain.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
If Bergeron wanted to play another year, the Kraken could offer the Bruins 3 unprotected 1st round picks for his UFA rights and I'd bet the Bruins would turn it down. They'd place more value on getting the last playoff spot just so Mr. Burns can get 2-3 home playoff games.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If Bergeron wanted to play another year, the Kraken could offer the Bruins 3 unprotected 1st round picks for his UFA rights and I'd bet the Bruins would turn it down. They'd place more value on getting the last playoff spot just so Mr. Burns can get 2-3 home playoff games.
haha, you might be right. I`m trying to be glass half full here and say that Sweeney brought in Cassidy which worked out well, fingers crossed he finds lighting in a bottle twice

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This team was going to get exposed the next two years with or without Cassidy.

Reactions: MattFromFranklin

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
With 2 more Avs win Sweeney current contract as the Bruins GM could be officially over if he hasn't resigned by then. Imo opinion he's done, and their bringing in someone else (McFarland/Trotz).

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
bruce will employ same system with Vegas, hope he is successful but thinking his best
situation long term would have been Detroit Red Wings.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
With 2 more Avs win Sweeney current contract as the Bruins GM could be officially over if he hasn't resigned by then. Imo opinion he's done, and their bringing in someone else (McFarland/Trotz).
Then the next guy will screw up the draft and we can blame it on the fact that he was new on the job :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad