Management Sweeney, Neely II

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Sure, that’s a fair statement. Though I do question how much of that was a factor given Hall having said multiples times through the years that his favorite team growing up was Boston.
Taylor wanted to come to Boston back in 2010, but EDM had other plans.

I rather doubt Hall signed with the Bruins to witness the management genius of Sweeney and Neely. If he did come to Boston, in part, because of the organizational culture it has represented since Peter Chiarelli took the reigns in 2006, he did so thinking of Z, Patrice, Brad, et. al.

Not the Stockholm Twins.

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005

I rather doubt Hall signed with the Bruins to witness the management genius of Sweeney and Neely. If he did come to Boston, in part, because of the organizational culture it has represented since Peter Chiarelli took the reigns in 2006, he did so thinking of Z, Patrice, Brad, et. al.

Not the Stockholm Twins.

The Stockholm Twins -- that is brilliant.

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Not the Stockholm Twins.
Yeah, he came to boston in 2021 beacuse of the organizational culture created by a guy who was fired six years ago and by Chara who was playing for the Capitals when Hall came aboard, and for the Islanders when he signed his new deal. . . Nothing to do with the GM who worked the trade and new contract, or the guy who's been team president since Hall was playing his first year of junior hockey and was the most iconic Bruin when Hall grew up a fan of the team.

I mean you may be right, but it sure don't look it from here.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Yeah, he came to boston in 2021 beacuse of the organizational culture created by a guy who was fired six years ago and by Chara who was playing for the Capitals when Hall came aboard, and for the Islanders when he signed his new deal. . . Nothing to do with the GM who worked the trade and new contract, or the guy who's been team president since Hall was playing his first year of junior hockey and was the most iconic Bruin when Hall grew up a fan of the team.

I mean you may be right, but it sure don't look it from here.
Not to mention said guy who was fired was said guy who traded him from EDM

Reactions: Over the volcano

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I Guess DS is being kept around but wonder what be the length of the deal? My thinking it be a short term deal to prove it. I feel Cassidy was the scapegoat because Don Failure to put a team around him and wasting FA Money and blown draft picks back in 15. Don is the main guy here and he failed. Cassidy had his faults like not being good with youngsters and throwing players under the bus.

Reactions: BMC

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
Look it up, if you haven't arleady.

There will be a picture of Sinden, grinning indulgently over both, like Banquo's ghost.

Oh -- i misunderstood completely.

I thought you were referring to the Stockholm Syndrome and Sweeney/Neely were the captors and we the fans were the victims.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
i still find it weird that DS didn't sign a new deal think it has to do with number of years and think Butch will also stay but will be on a short lease

Looks like the opposite

Sounds like Don is locked. Cassidy fired.

Don (Cam) saved their own asses 1st

Nepotism. Sweeney is one of his best pals and they used to play together for the Bruins.

Also, Cam's brain might be mush at this point. He took several punches to the head during his playing days.
Lol

Unfortunately Cam and Ray are two of my all time favorite players. So I dont wish for big Cam to go

But this next coaching hire/team direction... his neck could be on the line

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
CIhIEcTWwAApV7y.png

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If this firing and press conference didn't give you a bad feeling about where this team and organization are headed, you're clearly not grasping what's going on. The clowns that f***ed it up are still in charge and it's not going to get any better. This team is getting worse and they have zero answers because they're the wrong people for those roles.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
How dare anyone question the brilliance of Don Sweeney and Cam Neely. They have never made a wrong hockey move in their lives. Don has just had to trade 3 of his own free agent signings in deadline deals because they were massive failures. But that was Cassidy's fault for not using them properly. Their prospect pipeline has been mediocre, but that was Cassidy's fault for not developing them right. Don Sweeney deserves a lifetime contract.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How dare anyone question the brilliance of Don Sweeney and Cam Neely. They have never made a wrong hockey move in their lives. Don has just had to trade 3 of his own free agent signings in deadline deals because they were massive failures. But that was Cassidy's fault for not using them properly. Their prospect pipeline has been mediocre, but that was Cassidy's fault for not developing them right. Don Sweeney deserves a lifetime contract.
During Sweeney's tenure as GM, only three players drafted have reached the 100 games played mark for the team. Carlo, McAvoy, and JDB. That's it. Everyone else will be lucky to reach 50 games played in this league given how the likes of Studnicka, Frederic, Urho, Zboril, etc are trending. That's simply disgraceful.

Reactions: BMC

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So, Cassidy was told to fire Dean. Then gets fired himself.

Get someone to do your dirty work and then can them.

Brilliant.

I guess out of respect the fact is the coaches job to hire and fire assistants. But still.

Brilliant.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Everyone ripping on Sweeney right now but getting Ullmark is looking like a stroke of genius.

The goalie market is going to be insane this summer. So many teams desperate for even average goaltending and the Bruins have two guys who can get the job done.

The trades for Hall and Lindholm were brilliant as well.

Dumping Cassidy was a tough decision. The easy one was to roll with him but he took the less-popular road. I really hope he has someone in mind who can generate some more offense.

Reactions: Over the volcano

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
During Sweeney's tenure as GM, only three players drafted have reached the 100 games played mark for the team. Carlo, McAvoy, and JDB. That's it. Everyone else will be lucky to reach 50 games played in this league given how the likes of Studnicka, Frederic, Urho, Zboril, etc are trending. That's simply disgraceful.
Again, I find it funny how the Bruins advertise executives.

Chiarelli came in labelled as a caplogist and made every cap mistake in the book.

Sweeney came in labelled as a drafter developer and failed at that too. Some people use McAvoy as proof, but when you have five first-round picks in two seasons, batting 0.200 isn't anything to hang your hat on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad