Management Sweeney, Neely II

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I'm not discounting the clean-up job Sweeney needed to do after the Chia years; however, there is something rotten in the land of Causeway.

On the one side we have those like DKH that are scapegoating this whole dysfunction on Cassidy and the coaching staff. On the other side we have those that tar and feather Sweeney and Neely daily for their roster management. Who knows who is right, and who is wrong. Chicken Salad or Chicken Shit... Who really knows...

What is pretty easy to see for any layman fan is that Cassidy wants to play a fast transition attacking game with possession and action off the half wall. The roster is built for that with about half the players. With the other half they are more a chip and chase profile and skill set.

In the early days Sweeney was clear about a rat pack mentality and being hard (not necessarily heavy) on the puck, exploiting speed and skill with the "new" NHL. That is not the roster he has assembled for the staff to ice though. Has Sweeney and the front office asked to adjust the staff's game plan to the players? Do they speak and adjust together as per the groceries in the bags? Has the staff tuned out the GM and President? Do the GM and President not realize they have provided perished goods for dinner? Is the staff that bad they they keep on screwing up what should be an easy 3 star meal with the groceries?

At the end of the day, NHL teams are like a small family run business. This isn't rocket science and there aren't enough layers to the mgmt and hierarchies to have all these clouds of confusion. It shows lack of character to not be able or willing to stomp it out and clean things up between the discontent.

To net it out. Did the owner ask the burger joint to start flipping lobster rolls given the groceries, or expect the cook to keep making burgers and hide that fish taste with extra mustard?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What is pretty easy to see for any layman fan is that Cassidy wants to play a fast transition attacking game with possession and action off the half wall. The roster is built for that with about half the players. With the other half they are more a chip and chase profile and skill set. In the early days Sweeney was clear about a rat pack mentality and being hard (not necessarily heavy) on the puck, exploiting speed and skill with the "new" NHL. That is not the roster he has assembled for the staff to ice though. Has Sweeney and the front office asked to adjust the staff's game plan to the players? Do they speak and adjust together as per the groceries in the bags? Has the staff tuned out the GM and President? Do the GM and President not realize they have provided perished goods for dinner? Is the staff that bad they they keep on screwing up what should be an easy 3 star meal with the groceries?At the end of the day, NHL teams are like a small family run business. This isn't rocket science and there aren't enough layers to the mgmt and hierarchies to have all these clouds of confusion. It shows lack of character to not be able or willing to stomp it out and clean things up between the discontent.

To net it out. Did the owner ask the burger joint to start flipping lobster rolls given the groceries, or expect the cook to keep making burgers and hide that fish taste with extra mustard?

Sorry, but I don't see this analogy at all.

The owner in a small family business is 100% invested. He knows the business inside and out. He calls the shots.

NHL team owners (especially Boston's) do know the business of hockey, but not the product. They hire hockey people to run the team. They have other businesses. They have to deal with unions. Etc., etc.

Seems to be a big difference.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Sorry, but I don't see this analogy at all.

The owner in a small family business is 100% invested. He knows the business inside and out. He calls the shots.

NHL team owners (especially Boston's) do know the business of hockey, but not the product. They hire hockey people to run the team. They have other businesses. They have to deal with unions. Etc., etc.

Seems to be a big difference.

It works if you see the front office as the "business owners" in the analogy.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Its amazing donny and neely were one game away from being heroes to now get the pitchforks out. Such a fine line with winning and losing.
Chiarelli literally won and was ousted in less than 5 years.

Sweeney can't even say that and he's reaching year 3 since he made it to the final and didn't even win. Times a ticking. Every management team / coach has a shelf life, and as much as I wanted Sweeney to succeed here... I think we've seen what he can do. And imo time to move on.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Chiarelli literally won and was ousted in less than 5 years.

Sweeney can't even say that. Every management team / coach has a shelf life, and as much as I wanted Sweeney to succeed here... I think we've seen what he can do. And imo time to move on.
I'm not ready to give him the pink slip hes done some solid things. McAvoy sway carlo. Finding bruce was solid too.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Did Sweeney really say that?
Naah, didn't they say something about searching for the next GM when Chiarelli was fired? And then the comment that was attributed to Sweeney about having Tiffoli "in his back pocket" if he wanted him IIRC. Honestly, that front office can't open their collective mouths without inserting their (collective) feet.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
A Stanley cup final ain't chicken feed ask leaf fans if they would like that.

Sure he can hang his hat on that if he chooses or u can for him, but he had very little to do with it and if he would of been better at drafting and signings UFA to add impactful players with the Hall of Fame core he inherited, the Bruins more than likely would have had one or two more Stanley Cup banners hanging in the rafters.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Sure he can hang his hat on that if he chooses or u can for him but he had very little to do with it and if he would of been better at drafting and signings UFA to add impactful players with Hall of Fame core he inherited, the Bruins more than likely would have had one or two more Stanley Cup banners hanging in the rafters.
I'll.take donny over dubas and many other blindfolded. I'm not saying hes the best but hes better then most in the nhl. I say donny is top 10 minimum.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I'll.take donny over dubas and many other blindfolded. I'm not saying hes the best but hes better then most in the nhl. I say donny is top 10 minimum.
We will agree to Largely disagree on this one.

IMO his terrible asset management was more of a reason of why the Bruins didn't win the Cup in 2019 than anything he did to help get them to the finals. If he would of drafted like a competent GM in 2015 and used his cap space wisely instead of on players like Backes, and Beleskey which he again hurt the future of the Bruins by it costing him two future 1st round picks in order to dump these terrible signings.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
We will agree to Largely disagree on this one.

IMO his terrible asset management was more of a reason of why the Bruins didn't win the Cup in 2019 than anything he did to help get them to the finals. If he would of drafted like a competent GM in 2015 and used his cap space wisely instead of on players like Backes, and Beleskey which would hurt the future of the Bruins as well by it costing him two future 1st round picks in order to dump these terrible signings.
Nah it was that 5 game debacle non call letting a goal in overtime when accari got tripped so bad giving up the puck players waiting for the whistle even some blues players and they scored. The building was in shock. We had it if we took game 5.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Nah it was that 5 game debacle non call letting a goal in overtime when accari got tripped so bad giving up the puck players waiting for the whistle even some blues players and they scored. The building was in shock. We had it if we took game 5.
Lol. Yup, but that doesn't make Sweeney a good GM but all of his boneheaded decisions, sure in the hell make him a terrible one.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
A Stanley cup final ain't chicken feed ask leaf fans if they would like that.
It is mind boggling the Leafs haven’t even been to a Finals or won a President Trophy since their were 6 teams and the Bruins did 3 each none in same year since 2008

the last tine Leafs were in Finals both the Beatles and Bobby Orr had short hair and the US had a military draft (I can’t imagine kids today dealing with that lol I missed it but I knew it was out there as a kid and very real)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00