Management Sweeney, Neely II

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So, Cassidy was told to fire Dean. Then gets fired himself.

Get someone to do your dirty work and then can them.

Brilliant.

I guess out of respect the fact is the coaches job to hire and fire assistants. But still.

Brilliant.
Good f***ing lord.

What dickbags. I think we’re officially in a Sindenesque era of management once again.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

- friction between Dean and Cassidy. Again it was weird to send an assistant to the 9th floor
- DS wants the new head coach to hold vets also accountable(highest standard). Sounds like there was a double standard game
- DS takes the mildest "some blame is on me"

Hopefully the Bruins can find the Ime Udoka of hockey coaches.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

- friction between Dean and Cassidy. Again it was weird to send an assistant to the 9th floor
- DS wants the new head coach to hold vets also accountable(highest standard). Sounds like there was a double standard game

Of course just some blame is on him, not like it's his job to build a roster with more than one line....

God I was so much less frustrated 2 weeks ago, wish Sweeney would have just shut his mouth rather than giving us this bull shit presser

& some are thinking what a great plan(vision).

Next summer going to hit hard
I mean for one year it's an alright plan, but we all know that all it does is push the rebuild back a year.

Reactions: BMC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Everyone ripping on Sweeney right now but getting Ullmark is looking like a stroke of genius.

The goalie market is going to be insane this summer. So many teams desperate for even average goaltending and the Bruins have two guys who can get the job done.

The trades for Hall and Lindholm were brilliant as well.

Dumping Cassidy was a tough decision. The easy one was to roll with him but he took the less-popular road. I really hope he has someone in mind who can generate some more offense.

Now list the bad moves he's made

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Of course just some blame is on him, not like it's his job to build a roster with more than one line....

God I was so much less frustrated 2 weeks ago, wish Sweeney would have just shut his mouth rather than giving us this bull shit presser

I mean for one year it's an alright plan, but we all know that all it does is push the rebuild back a year.

I mean that’s a total all out move.
Have your 3 best leave at the same time with nothing in the system to replace them with

I don’t think they are good enough to compete for the Cup anymore, round wins yes but tonthe end, just can’t see it.

They’d be 2 years older than last time we saw them as the 1- 2 duo in the playoffs

Reactions: BMC and NDiesel

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Again, I spoke to @Gee Wally about this long before it became public. Dean was upset he was sent to the 9th floor, yes. But they mended fences.

You're in charge of a business.

Which one would you fire?

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I think people are just reacting to the realization that the window is closed. The Bruins have been able to limp along with their core but a rebuild has been in the cards. Bruce was never going to be able to out-coach the flawed rosters delivered to him. So yes, you can think he's a good coach, shouldn't have been fired, etc. all this decision does is bring us closer to the very necessary rebuild. Should Sweeney and Neely be overseeing that? I don't think so but if we're talking about Bruce he wasn't going to be able to do anything except keep this team in the purgatory of being too good to get good draft picks, too bad to make waves in the playoffs. This was simply the first domino to fall before the eventual Sweeney dismissal.

Reactions: BMC and Estlin

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Again, I spoke to @Gee Wally about this long before it became public. Dean was upset he was sent to the 9th floor, yes. But they mended fences.

You're in charge of a business.

Which one would you fire?
Sweeney's press conference implied that Dean's contract expired and wasn't renewed, as opposed to Kelly and Sacco who remain under contract. Is that correct? He wasn't technically fired per se, but he wasn't asked back?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Again, Mods: I would like to post across relevant threads. If that's a problem, okay.

HF Lifers:

Recorded before Tuesday's press conferenece, Bruins Beat, one of the most consistently excellent, independent sources for all things Bruins, posted this podcast.

I haven't even watched the whole thing, yet feel compelled to share here,

I couldn't say it any better than host Evan Marinofsky and frequent guest Conor Ryan

Boston Sports Journal

Boston's fast-growing, fully-credentialed, flying-everywhere collection of professional journalists covering Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics and more…
www.bostonsportsjournal.com

Confused? Pissed off?

You should be.

This thing has been a slow motion train wreck for nearly SEVEN years. To quote Bowie, "Where Are We Now?"

Do you know? Do they know?

I now have zero respect for Sweeney and Neely.

They've proven themselves poor managers and disappointing human beings.

I used to esteem both players, and revered Cam. Not only as a player, but as a person.

Those days are gone.

I have harped repeatedly, annoyingly, about "Sinden/OC Redux." I apologize for that, but look at this honestly, and tell me you see something -- anything -- worthy of endorsement here.

I call them the Stockholm Twins for a reason.

Filling the regular season stands, which may prove difficult next season, and round one gate are all that ultimately matter. I think everyone understands why.

Over & Out for the moment, to the relief of many, I'm sure.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Now list the bad moves he's made

Everyone lists Hall as a master stroke but he forced his way to Boston. Any poster here could have made that deal since Hall only wanted Boston. That being said I guess that part doesn't matter since Buffalo had a more valuable player from the area try to force his way to Boston only for the team to pass on him so Vegas could swoop in for a steal. But again Boston is apparently deep at center and definitely doesn't need a guy like Jack Eichel. Lindholm was a good move. He outbid everyone for him and got the player. I'll give him some credit for that one.

Reactions: ON3M4N

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Of course he won't. Pasta has gone on record multiple times saying his top priority is winning. Won't be doing much of that when his 36 year old linemate says enough and with these two chucklef***s in charge.

David Pastrnak is the greatest goal scorer i've got to watch with the Bruins. (keep in mind i was like, a toddler during the tail end of Neely's career) Failing to keep him in the fold would be a organizational failure the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time.

Reactions: BMC and StrBender

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Anyone who takes Fluto and his sources as gospel - especially when he had zero on Cassidy - deserves what comes to him. His source is probably Jimmy Murphy. And I’m not exaggerating

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Anyone who takes Fluto and his sources as gospel - especially when he had zero on Cassidy - deserves what comes to him. His source is probably Jimmy Murphy. And I’m not exaggerating
I mean, he was proven to have been correct when he said over a year ago that Sweeney wouldn't trade his binky (DeBrusk) because he was afraid to do so.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I mean, he was proven to have been correct when he said over a year ago that Sweeney wouldn't trade his binky (DeBrusk) because he was afraid to do so.
He has opinions that are generally correct sometimes. That’s different than having sources. When’s the last time Fluto broke a story?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad