Prospect Info: Swedish Prospects 2021-22 Season Pt. 2

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
It's been a pretty crazy time for our prospects in Europe the last 2 seasons.

Edvinsson and Seider win the eliteprospects award in 2021 and 2022.
Seider and Soderblom win the EHC young player of the year award in 2021 and 2022
Albert Johansson wins the SHL championship in 2022
Pontus Andreasson and Seider are on teams that make it to the SHL finals in 2021 and 2022
Wallinder was on the 1st place regular season team in the SHL in Rogle in 2022. Niederbach is joining the team next season.
Berggren was 7th in SHL scoring in 2021 2nd in AHL rookie scoring and 12th overall in league scoring in 2022.
Seider is looking like a sure bet for the Calder. Raymond definitely deserves top 5 consideration.
The top of U21 SHL scoring is populated by Wings SHL prospects in 2021 and 2022.

I'm really excited to see who we pick in Sweden this draft. There are some players that look like gems.

Kronwall is doing a really good job developing our prospects in Sweden. They all have improved to the point where they look like legitimate NHL candidates. I think it would be prudent for the Redwings to keep drafting from that pool to take advantage of our European developmental staff which now includes Lidstrom assisting.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Kronwall is doing a really good job developing our prospects in Sweden. They all have improved to the point where they look like legitimate NHL candidates. I think it would be prudent of the Redwings to keep of drafting from that pool to take advantage of that.

Or at the least send more players over there.

Reactions: lilidk

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's been a pretty crazy time for our prospects in Europe the last 2 seasons.

Edvinsson and Seider win the eliteprospects award in 2021 and 2022.
Seider and Soderblom win the EHC young player of the year award in 2021 and 2022
Albert Johansson wins the SHL championship in 2022
Pontus Andreasson and Seider are on teams that make it to the SHL finals in 2021 and 2022
Wallinder was on the 1st place regular season team in the SHL in Rogle in 2022. Niederbach is joining the team next season.
Berggren was 7th in SHL scoring in 2021 2nd in AHL rookie scoring and 12th overall in league scoring in 2022.
Seider is looking like a sure bet for the Calder. Raymond definitely deserves top 5 consideration.
The top of U21 SHL scoring is populated by Wings SHL prospects in 2021 and 2022.

I'm really excited to see who we pick in Sweden this draft. There are some players that look like gems.
I'd be surprised if any NHL team ever matches what has happened in terms of Wings prospects in the SHL the last two seasons. It's ridiculous.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'd be surprised if any NHL team ever matches what has happened in terms of Wings prospects in the SHL the last two seasons. It's ridiculous.

I'm hoping that Detroit can keep it up. Kronwall is doing a tremendous job there. And I'd love if they could bring on Zetterberg to consult a bit with guys like Niederbach and Liam Dower-Nilsson.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Kronwall is doing a really good job developing our prospects in Sweden. They all have improved to the point where they look like legitimate NHL candidates. I think it would be prudent for the Redwings to keep drafting from that pool to take advantage of our European developmental staff which now includes Lidstrom assisting.
I'm hoping that Detroit can keep it up. Kronwall is doing a tremendous job there. And I'd love if they could bring on Zetterberg to consult a bit with guys like Niederbach and Liam Dower-Nilsson.
He's gotta be getting tired of making sandwiches lol. I'm sure SY has pitched him more than once or twice.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I wonder how Johannson will do in camp. I myself think Edvinnson is a lock for next year but Johannson is coming over too. It's crazy to think he will crack the team too but he is going to get a chance. I remember when he was drafted Hakan was very surprised and ecstatic that he was still available. He also has gotten praise from Lidstrom. Maybe he turns out to be something special in a few years as well. Few years time we will finally see what Yzerman has done with the defense core and prospect pool and its pretty exciting.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I wonder how Johannson will do in camp. I myself think Edvinnson is a lock for next year but Johannson is coming over too. It's crazy to think he will crack the team too but he is going to get a chance. I remember when he was drafted Hakan was very surprised and ecstatic that he was still available. He also has gotten praise from Lidstrom. Maybe he turns out to be something special in a few years as well. Few years time we will finally see what Yzerman has done with the defense core and prospect pool and its pretty exciting.
I think alot of it will depend on who we get as veterans to replace DeKeyser and others. If we can somehow get 2-3 solid veterans, I could see AlJo making the team as a 3rd pair. But if we aren't able to get some solid upgrades, it's not quite worth the gamble, IMO. I will be very curious to see what Yzerman does with the offseason.

Reactions: jkutswings

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

My prediction is they both come in and look amazing relative to the garbage on the roster and outplay everyone but Seider.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
FD8ED921-744E-45DC-9B65-169CECC55A87.jpeg

Niederbach will wear #16 for Rogle

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Time for Niederbach to take that game to a new level.
He should be in Grand Rapids in October of 2023. Kind of wish he was coming this year. He could really help Johansson and Soderblom in GR.
If he were still with Frolunda I'd be 100% with you but Rogle has done a fantastic job with Seider and Wallinder. Very curious to see what he can do with more consistent playing time.

Of the 3 he has the most to do developmentally from a physical standpoint, I'd be a little afraid he'd get creames in GR.

There is also a small outside chance that Soder and Aljo end up in Detroit along with Berggy.

Reactions: WF19 and bedtime20

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
You guys probably know by now that I'm really high on Johansson but I will try to make this less about how awsome he is and more about the stategy I think Detroit would use for the 22/23 season.

Look, the big win for Detroit this upcoming season is NOT to reach the play-offs or win Stanley Cup.
This is what I would say is the season where there are so many prospects in the system where a good overhaul of the roster is warranted and the ONLY downside is that the chance of getting pick #1 and Connor Bedard increases.

So, I would make sure that the kids got a good amount of NHL time and experience and have them ready for season 23/24 och even the season after that. I know Stevie said that he wants to see improvements but that is something I would say in my professional role as well. You don't give out your whole roleplan when it, or should have, a real tank season in mind in order to get the C slot filled. Larkin is great but as long as we don't have a 1-2-3 punch down the middle.. I don't care how many good D's you have.

So, in my mind, the price for 22/23 is icetime and experience for Johansson, Edvinsson, Berggren, Söderblom and the others that have played against seniors before but the biggest price should be the hunt for Connor Bedard...

I know he’s technically not ours anymore, but Eliasson has apparently signed a deal with a Norwegian team. Best of luck to him
Sad to say but Eliasson was but in a horrible situation by Färjestad going into this year. Haukeland was and is not a SHL firstline goalie and Eliasson was not ready for that kind of role yet. Hopefully he can get his confidence back and bounce back but what I saw from him after he left Färjestad was not promising.. :(

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
On defense, either Edinvsson or Johansson win a job. I'm not going to pretend I know which one is closer. Tie goes to the top 6 pick, I guess.
So say Edvinsson starts.
I think Johansson then starts in GR. Wings will not go with two rookie LD - with still-young Seider and Lindstrom on the RD side.

Up front, I think it's a similar situation.
Berrgren and Soderblom looking for a job - but only one gets the job to start the season
Berggren is the obvious favorite with Soderblom starting in GR.

Both guys, Johansson and Berggren, would then have a chance for a job during the season if they play well in GR and if a roster spot opens up.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
On defense, either Edinvsson or Johansson win a job. I'm not going to pretend I know which one is closer. Tie goes to the top 6 pick, I guess.
So say Edvinsson starts.
I think Johansson then starts in GR.

There' no tie. Edvinsson is just more physycally ready to handle NHL opponents.

It's also no secret, Horcoff already spoiled it. Edvinsson NHL, Johansson AHL is the plan.

Reactions: golffuul

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Time for Niederbach to take that game to a new level.
He should be in Grand Rapids in October of 2023. Kind of wish he was coming this year. He could really help Johansson and Soderblom in GR.

There's no problem with Niederbach playing in Rogle. The kid seems like he's been in the DRW organization forever but he's just entering his D+3. Going to Rogle, getting regular icetime in the top 6 there with guys like Adam Tambellini, Daniel Ljungman, possibly Daniel Zaar if he returns, and Marco Kasper will be huge. He wouldn't get that opportunity in Frolunda, and probably wouldn't get that opportunity in Grand Rapids.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
There's no problem with Niederbach playing in Rogle. The kid seems like he's been in the DRW organization forever but he's just entering his D+3. Going to Rogle, getting regular icetime in the top 6 there with guys like Adam Tambellini, Daniel Ljungman, possibly Daniel Zaar if he returns, and Marco Kasper will be huge. He wouldn't get that opportunity in Frolunda, and probably wouldn't get that opportunity in Grand Rapids.
I didn't say there was a problem.
I said I'd prefer if he was in GR.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I didn't say there was a problem.
I said I'd prefer if he was in GR.

I don't. GR's coaching situation is awful and he'd be more likely to be a 3rd liner there than top 6. Plus Niederbach really needs to work on his strength/skating. The SHL is a better league for him to work on those things.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't. GR's coaching situation is awful and he'd be more likely to be a 3rd liner there than top 6. Plus Niederbach really needs to work on his strength/skating. The SHL is a better league for him to work on those things.
Berggren did OK..
Seider did OK the year before.
What makes the GR situational "awful" in terms of prospect development?

Niederbach maybe should be a third liner.
If he hasn't improved his strength/skating in 2 years in SHL, maybe he should try to do it in NA.

Whatever happens with Niederbach, this Sweden plan likely means that he's got little chance of starting in Detroit until 2024.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Berggren did OK..

If he hasn't improved his strength/skating in 2 years in SHL, maybe he should try to do it in NA.

Whatever happens with Niederbach, this Sweden plan likely means that he's got little chance of starting in Detroit until 2024.

Berggren did better than OK. He was 12th overall in AHL league scoring. He is also a guy that should have been a 1st round pick in 2018. And he was 7th in SHL scoring the year before so it's not surprising he was a good AHLer.

Seider was a high pedigree prospect with + skating, size, maturity beyond his years and great hockey sense. It's also not surprising he was great in the AHL.

Niederbach is a late 2nd round prospect with above average IQ, average skating and below average size and strength. He played mostly 4th line minutes in the SHL last year so he's got a lot more work to do.

And if Niederbach doesn't start in Detroit (if at all) until 2024? So be it. Again, he was a late 2nd round pick. I'm not expecting him to be a 30 goal 1st liner. He probably only becomes a 3rd liner in the NHL if he makes it at all.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Frölunda vs Färjestad today, five of our prospects on the ice.

Also Gustav Berglund will finish the season in the HockeyEttan (3rd tier) with Karlskrona. He was originally supposed to stay on loan with Färjestad where he played 7 games.

Didn't play many games this year. Was that due to injury or other factors?

Reactions: MooMiN

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Berggren did OK..

Don't get the issue people have with our prospects playing in the CHL or AHL. Both leagues have proven track records of developing players.

I know @OgeeOgelthorpe doesn't like Ben Simon, but I will maintain that the GR roster last year just wasn't much to work with at all.

I think GR was the best spot possible for Berggren last year, and it was good for his development. Feel the same way about Johansson this year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Don't get the issue people have with our prospects playing in the CHL or AHL. Both leagues have proven track records of developing players.

I know @OgeeOgelthorpe doesn't like Ben Simon, but I will maintain that the GR roster last year just wasn't much to work with at all.

I think GR was the best spot possible for Berggren last year, and it was good for his development. Feel the same way about Johansson this year.

I have gone to far more AHL games the since I moved away from Michigan than NHL games. I don't think it's a bad league per se. However it is a league that has seen some decline in quality as Euro leagues like the SHL, KHL, NLA and Liiga improve in quality and in pay.

My problem isn't so much the AHL but rather that Ben Simon is to the AHL what Jeff Blashill is to the NHL. He seems like a perfectly nice guy but just is not a great coach that can get the most out of his roster. If Detroit had a different coaching staff in GR or more team control I'd probably change my tune.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00