Olympics: Sweden Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Yeah, it's pretty obvious. We have too many good goalies to include the always nay-saying Hedberg. It's crazy how much Swedish goaltending has improved in just a couple of years.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
I'd include Enroth as a candidate.

oh damn, how could i forget about him? of course he's a candidate.

even markstrom i wouldn't rule out. but he's young which counts against him. but if markstrom stays in sweden (likely) and might play the whole year for the national team he could be #3.

Tumsh

Jun 26, 2007
A few comment, though I know it's late.

1) Huslius: I don't want to see him on the Swedish roster. I don't think I've ever really seen him show up in a tough game on in the Stanley Cup playoffs. He just doesn't seem like a winner to me.

2) Berglund: It's too early to tell anything about him and playoffs. A lot of players have problems their first NHL playoff. The first half of the next season will determine a lot about him.

3) I think Eriksson would be a good fit with the Sedins. He did score 36 goals last season and a lot of them came from going to the dirty areas and taking the punishment that comes with it.

4) Wouldn't surprise me to see Jonathan Ericsson in the lineup. He may be a rookie, but he is 25 (26?) years old. A lot of it will depend on how he does these playoffs... but so far, so good.

5) Sundin is not looking all that good right now. He looks slow and it looks like he's lost some of his mojo. May still come back before the olympics, but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if he was on the Swedish team anyway...

6) Backstom should probably play center. And he should probably be on one of the top two lines. I believe he will be our second best center after Zetterberg by the time the olympics come around.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
We have the potential to have a squad that would rate somewhere around..

Sweden 1-5

Goalie(s) ****

Defence ****

Forwards ****

Then there's the ever lasting chemistry, experience and motivation that will make the difference between most of the top nations.

I´d rate us as a **** (four) in that regard aswell.

Then there's tactics/coaching which would be ***

19 points.

Russia

Goalies ****

Defence ***.5

Forwards *****

Experience, motivation, chemistry ***.5

Tactics/coaching ***

Canada

Goalie(s) *****

Defence ****

Forwards *****

Experience, motivation, chemistry ****.5

Tactics/coaching ****

Other advantages/refs etc. *****

Czech Rep

Goalie(s) ***.5

Defence ***.5

Forwards ****

Experience, motivation, chemistry ***.5

Tactics/coaching ***.5

Finland

Goalie(s) *****

Defence ***

Forwards ***

Experience, motivation (sisu), chemistry *****

Tactics/coaching ****

Salming

Mar 17, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Franzen
Huselius-Zetterberg-Holmström
L.Ericsson-J.Andersson-Alfredsson
PJ.Axelsson-PÃ¥hlsson-J.Lundqvist (shut-down line)

Lidström-j.Ericsson
Kronvall-Grossman
K.Jönsson-Enström
Stråhlman-Murray (selected depending on opposition)

H.Lundqvist
J.Gustavsson

This team is all about balance. We cannot carry 4 scoring lines with two of them being mediocre and win against teams like Russia and Canada. All my first 3 lines are well-balanced, with a bit scoring touch, defensive element and one crash the net guy.

We MUST have a great shut-down line that is able to frustrate the star forwards in every way. Just imagine what monster line Russia will be able to put together of Hart-trophy candidates.

The shut-down line must be working as well as the Påhlsson-line two years ago in the NHL POs. It might be possible that Joel is too slow for this task, but I like his work-ethics. A player like Sjöström is fast enough for the task.

Last edited:

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
Salming, you got to have Bäckström in, he is a great two-way player...

Franzen - Zetterberg - Holmström
Alfredsson - Bäckström - Berglund/Möller (not certain about this spot, I dont want Huselius so I rather hope that some of our youngsters take the next step...)
Sedin - Sedin - Ericsson
Axelsson - Påhlsson - Sjöström

Lidström - J Ericsson
Öhlund - Kronwall
Kenny Jönsson - Oduya

Lundqvist
Gustavsson
Ersberg

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Omark is currently 2nd overall in scoring at the IIHF World Championship tournament. He is leading teams Sweden in scoring and is 2nd overall in the tournament with a +6 rating.

Is it possible that he makes the team?

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Canada.....

Other advantages/refs etc. *****

:laugh:

Homer, is he lock to the team? I think he is in every lineup posted here. There is his role in pp also grinding and bringing experience to the team, but could anyone imagine he wouldn`t make the team?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Omark is currently 2nd overall in scoring at the IIHF World Championship tournament. He is leading teams Sweden in scoring and is 2nd overall in the tournament with a +6 rating.

Is it possible that he makes the team?

Yeah, allot also depends on Sundin and if he plays next season.

If he does, there are very few spots open. Basically 3 winger positions next to Franzen-Z-X1, Sedin-Sedin-X2 and X3-Sundin-Alfredsson. Our PK needs PÃ¥hlsson and PJ.

Bäckström is taking one of them.

Then there is a bunch of options. Loui Eriksson is the best in the NHL of that group. Modin is very experienced and BÅG likes him. Tomas Holmström is always valuble to have on a team. Weinhandl can put the puck in the net, despite beeing blind. Alex Steen have played with the Sedins before. Patrik Berglund could grow allot in a short period of time. Oscar Möller is a personal favorite of mine, how much can he develop this summer.

Its in that group that Omark is in for sure. He could play with the Sedins. He could play on Z's line. He could play with Sundin.

If he really steps up now and plays well against the Czech and potentiall Canada, that would put him allot closer. But the competition is tough.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg

Homer, is he lock to the team? I think he is in every lineup posted here. There is his role in pp also grinding and bringing experience to the team, but could anyone imagine he wouldn`t make the team?

Well he didnt make the team last time around (he came in as a sub I believe) so I wouldn't be sure of it but I don't think we can afford to keep him off the team, it is not like we have alot of great offensive players. They could pick Samuelsson to create a redwingsline of Franzen-Z-Sammy and then use the excuse that Homer is too slow for the other lines and he isnt useful unless he plays with the redwingers...

Still, I think he will be on the team... or I hope so atleast.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

As said, he didn't make the team from the start in 2006. I hope he will be there, and I think BÃ…G wont make the same mistake again.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Very hard to imagine he wouldn't. Looking at the success in the last olympics I would be surprised if we'll not see all Detroit players in our roster, except Lilja. And to be fair they're all that good so..

Lidström/Edler/Kronwall, Bäckström, Zetterberg, Franzén, Samuelsson as first PP-line.

Lidström/Edler/Kronwall, D.Sedin, H.Sedin, Holmström, Alfredsson as second PP-line.

PK is not very hard to form, got so many players used to that. PJ, Sammy, Sjöström, Zetterberg, Franzén, Bäckström, Alfredsson even Sedins.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Franzen

Lidström-j.Ericsson
Kronvall-Grossman
K.Jönsson-Enström

H.Lundqvist
J.Gustavsson

This team is all about balance. We cannot carry 4 scoring lines with two of them being mediocre and win against teams like Russia and Canada. All my first 3 lines are well-balanced, with a bit scoring touch, defensive element and one crash the net guy.

We MUST have a great shut-down line that is able to frustrate the star forwards in every way. Just imagine what monster line Russia will be able to put together of Hart-trophy candidates.

The shut-down line must be working as well as the Påhlsson-line two years ago in the NHL POs. It might be possible that Joel is too slow for this task, but I like his work-ethics. A player like Sjöström is fast enough for the task.

If you don't have Bäckström in the line-up, you will be wrong. There is no chance that he's being left out.

Salming

Mar 17, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
I don't like Bäckström. He's weak and slow and his defensive game is very overrated. Also, he looked terrible the last time around.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
I don't like Bäckström. He's weak and slow and his defensive game is very overrated. Also, he looked terrible the last time around.

Weak? Ask a cap fan... How can his defensive game be overrated? He's solid and I don't see many say otherwise. And you do realize what his age where the last time? He's developed quite a bit since then. If you don't want him on the third if forth line, you could always put either him or Zetterberg on the wing. You can't seriously say you want Huselius over Bäckström?

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008

:help:

Bäckstrom is arguably a top-10 center in the NHL, and you chose to neglect him? By the time the olympics i held he will be even more experienced.

I guess you dont watch hockey, like at all. If you remember last WC he was the only player on the team that was really outstanding.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
B-Ã…, is that you? Quit your man-love for SEL players and stop being worse than my dog at picking your players.

Last edited:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Franzen

Lidström-j.Ericsson
Kronvall-Grossman
K.Jönsson-Enström

H.Lundqvist
J.Gustavsson

:laugh::laugh:

Wow

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Franzen - Zetterberg - Berglund
Eriksson - Bäckström - Alfredsson
Sedin - Sedin - Weinhandl
PJ Axelsson - Påhlsson - Lundqvist/Sjöström

Lidström - Öhlund
Kronwall - Jönsson
Strålman - Murray
Oduya - Edler

Lundqvist
Gustavsson

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
5) Sundin is not looking all that good right now. He looks slow and it looks like he's lost some of his mojo. May still come back before the olympics, but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if he was on the Swedish team anyway...

Sundin always delivers in Tre Kronor. I think that if he's still playing, he will be on the team as a captain (he or Kenny Jönsson are the two options as I see it).

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Niklas Lidstrom would be the best captain for Sweden, no question about it. He is the only swedish captain winning the cup.

Sundins best days are over but Nik is still playing at the top of his game (almost anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad