Olympics: Sweden Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
:facepalm:

Ohlund actually beat jonsson in a poll 3 months ago of who is the better d.

Edler belongs in the more likely or even lock category.

Edler>>Enstrom and tallinder combined.
Edler>Murray
Edler is better than enstrom and tallinder combined while also better than murray who is better physically though.

The person who commented above doesn't even know what he is talking about, jonsson in a different league than edler? :shakehead :laugh:

Id bet if edler was playing in the same league as jonsson is, you guys would easily change your mind and opinion about edler.

Edler was the worst player in that last year WCH because he was basically worn out, from playing top minutes for the canucks injury proned d, and 2 years before he wasn't even in the nhl, he was in ahl's farm team.

If you watched you would know that edler is something special. He has the hardest shot even beating s.salo who is notabley has the hardest shot, on the pp look at how great his stats are, hes getting better each year and hes far younger than jonsson. He can hit hard, play physical, solid defensivally and has great he reminds me of a young lidstrom but obviously not better ofcourse. He's only 22 while jonsson is in his 30s.

I think you swedes need to watch the nhl more, and watch canucks players ohlund and edler more often and even watch kronvall, ericsson from detroit.

Edler is easily imo better than k.jonsson, and you swedes saying that hes a top 5 best player is downright laughable. If jonsson was so good why isn't he playing in the best league NHL now. Because he is old, injury proned.

The person who commented above me doesnt know what he is talking about.
K.jonsson isn't in edler's league imo, edler is far the better player, and k.jonsson is only better defensivally by not much. I actually like k.jonsson i was a huge fan of his when he played for the islanders to bad he was injury proned. Edler is playing in the better league, and you guys don't watch him, kronvall and ohlund that much because they are easily the top 3 swedish d behind lidstrom.

Edler will have a huge chance to play for the olympics in vancouver in 2010, where he's playing great hockey representing that city.

Best swedes defenseman currently are in order
1.Lidstrom
2.Ohlund/Kronvall
3.Kronvall/Ohlund
4.Edler
5.Jonsson
6.K.johnsson
7.Enstrom
8.Murray
9.Tallinder
10.Havelid/Oduya

Heck I would even say that k.johnsson, murray and enstrom are better than jonsson but I would rank them highter than jonsson because you swedes will get offended. ;)

Edler might be a future star player on Team Sweden. He is like you say 22 and hasn't hit his prime yet. But right now your statement about Edler is just silly. Any knowledgeble poster or coach would have Jonsson, who is in his prime, FAR ahead of Edler. I'm sorry but that is the reality, except for Canucks homers. It's of course impossible to prove that either is better than the other. But let's see what happens during OG. Barring injury or a rapid decline Jonsson will be #2 defender on Team Sweden. I'm even quite sure that Edler wouldn't even have been invited to play this years WCH if Vancouver hadn't made the playoffs. He was THAT bad last year.

Jonsson choose to go home to Swden and play. That was because of too many concussions and that he wanted his family to live in Sweden. That doesn't make him a worse player. In fact he is a much better player today than, let's say 2002.

futurekos22*

Edler might be a future star player on Team Sweden. He is like you say 22 and hasn't hit his prime yet. But right now your statement about Edler is just silly. Any knowledgeble poster or coach would have Jonsson, who is in his prime, FAR ahead of Edler. I'm sorry but that is the reality, except for Canucks homers. It's of course impossible to prove that either is better than the other. But let's see what happens during OG. Barring injury or a rapid decline Jonsson will be #2 defender on Team Sweden. I'm even quite sure that Edler wouldn't even have been invited to play this years WCH if Vancouver hadn't made the playoffs. He was THAT bad last year.

Jonsson choose to go home to Swden and play. That was because of too many concussions and that he wanted his family to live in Sweden. That doesn't make him a worse player. In fact he is a much better player today than, let's say 2002.

I have already told you the reasons why edler was pathetic last year, so scroll up for the reasons.

Well Edler's prime would be far ahead of jonsson's prime that's for sure. Ohlund or kronvall would be sweden's 2nd best defender, and in a quite few years edler would be number 1.

Its a bit silly in your part of you thinking that he'll not get an invitation, he would easily get an invitation, because he is that good, even if canucks did not make the playoffs this year.

As you said lets see who makes the roster and who plays better, But im confident in edler making it, and playing better than jonsson becuz he is the better player. If jonsson was playing in the nhl, and if he was actually that good like a top 5 d in the nhl, than I would've changed my mind. He has obviously gotten better because he is playing for a league that is not better than the nhl ;)

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Edler has developed quite nicely and is a top 4 defenseman in most teams in the nhl. Kronvall imo is a 1st pairing defenseman on most teams as well. You swedes are severly underrating edler, ohlund and kronvall, especially edler.

And you severly underrate Jonsson. I bet you havnt seen him play since the Torino '06 in which he was voted best D-man. He is still far and far better than Edler, Ohlund and Kronwall.

I'm not saying they're not good players it's just that Jonsson is way better right now.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I have already told you the reasons why edler was pathetic last year, so scroll up for the reasons.

Well Edler's prime would be far ahead of jonsson's prime that's for sure. Ohlund or kronvall would be sweden's 2nd best defender, and in a quite few years edler would be number 1.

Its a bit silly in your part of you thinking that he'll not get an invitation, he would easily get an invitation, because he is that good, even if canucks did not make the playoffs this year.

As you said lets see who makes the roster and who plays better, But im confident in edler making it, and playing better than jonsson becuz he is the better player. If jonsson was playing in the nhl, and if he was actually that good like a top 5 d in the nhl, than I would've changed my mind. He has obviously gotten better because he is playing for a league that is not better than the nhl ;)

He was far and away the best D-man in the last olympics. After the olympics he had offers from every if I remember correctly 28 or 29 teams.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden

If Edler in his prime would be far ahead of Jonssons he would be Lidstrom...or better. I doubt that. Edler has pretty big issues with his decisionmaking in his own zone. That is something that experience will adjust or even erase but it's still a concern. If Edler reaches Jonssons prime level you should be very happy, I would as a Swede. If Edler wants to be #1 defender on Team Sweden in the future he has to surpass talent like Hedman, Erik Karlsson, OEL, Stralman, Enstrom, Adam Larsson, Rundblad, Nick Hjalmarsson. All of those has about the same or more talent than Edler. I doubt he will, but again, I would be very happy. That would most likely mean Team Sweden would have the best defense in the world. Bottom line is that I think that you are a bit optimistic about Edlers future and you are severly overrating his current skill level.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Sundin will not be in the lineup in the Olympics (nor the WC this yr). Backstrom is way better as a C than a winger. Samuelsson in the checking line? No thank you.

And K.Jonsson is way better than Edler and I'd rather have Jonsson than Enstrom tbh.

My team:

Franzen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Holmstrom - Backstrom - L.Eriksson
Sedin - Sedin - Weinhandl/Berglund/Huselius
Axelsson - Pahlsson - Sjostrom

Lidstrom - Kronwall
Ohlund - K.Jonsson
Ericsson - Enstrom/Edler/Oduya/M.Johansson/Murray/Grossman

Lundqvist - Holmqvist/Ersberg/Liv/Markstrom perhaps

probably the best lineup ive seen

the fourth line could be tweaked a bit
and maybe Jonas Gustavsson could join in

like the poster, i would also prefer Weinhandl being on there, hes paid his dues in all the WCs, he deserves to be on the Olympic team

Hannya

Apr 1, 2009
What about Forsberg. Perhaps it's a longshot but 2010 OC is also some time away. He can get his sh*t in order until then.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Louie Eriksson, Patrik Berglund and Kristian Huselius are playing themselves out off olympic contention.

I can't even describe how bad Patrik has been, he's about a 0.22 out of a 100, Husse isn't much better.

Louie is trying, but is nowhere near the level of guys like Weinhandl.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Alfredsson (will shut down any line)
Lidström-Kronwall

Weinhandl-Bäckström-Eriksson (two snipers and a world class set-up man)
Jönsson-Murray

Holmström-Sedin-Sedin (Sedins do their thing, Homer sets up shop)
Ericsson-Strålman

Axelsson-PÃ¥hlsson-Omark PJ & God work good together, now with the help of the bullet)
Edler/

Lundqvist
Doesn't matter
Doesn't matter
Markström should get one of the spots though.

Subs.. Berglund, Huselius, Enström, Samuelsson, M.Johansson

cosmicnavigator

Aug 26, 2008
Sweden
Zetterberg-Bäckström-Alfredsson

Sedin-Sedin-Franzen

Husselius-Berglund-Eriksson

Sjöström-Påhlsson-Samuelsson(right handed & can play point)

Lidström-?
Kronwall-Öhlund
Grossman-Edler

Berglunds line is a little soft and they will not play many minutes/game (Eriksson will play more due to PK.

the ? mark could be a lot of players

Stralman, righthanded, similar style to Rafalski
Odouya, good allround d
Ericsson, big with a mean streak a little early to tell
Victor Hedman, long shoot

Jonsson aint that good and is to fragile
Ragnarsson to old and slow

Extra Weinhandl

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I suggest that one should take advantage of the fact that some guys plays much of the full NHL season and play off togheter. It goes for the SEL/KHL guys too of course.

E.g. Öhlund and Edler knows each other from inside and out, let them play together; or Zetterberg/Franzén for that matter.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Louie Eriksson, Patrik Berglund and Kristian Huselius are playing themselves out off olympic contention.

I can't even describe how bad Patrik has been, he's about a 0.22 out of a 100, Husse isn't much better.

Lidström-Kronwall

Jönsson-Murray

Ericsson-Strålman

Axelsson-PÃ¥hlsson-Omark PJ & God work good together, now with the help of the bullet)
Edler/

Lundqvist
Doesn't matter
Doesn't matter

Louie has actually been pretty good 2 out of 3 games. Weinhandl has been really good all tournament. I still think he hasn't got the toughness or skill level to compete in a best on best tournament. They are in a complete different level than WHC. But if Weinhandl makes it to the OG roster I think that he should play with the Sedins. They did have an awsome chemistry as juniors and I still think they would fit together. Weinhandl will be in the competition for one of the last forward spots together with Huselius, Berglund, Loui Eriksson and possibly Hornqvist, Omark, Harju and Brunnstrom if they take another step forward this autumn.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close

Lidström-Kronwall

Jönsson-Murray

Ericsson-Strålman

Edler/

Lundqvist
Doesn't matter
Doesn't matter

Berglund hasn't really impressed me either but give the kid a break. He's coming off his first NHL season and has never played that amount of games before. Just because he's suffering from fatigue, doesn't mean that you should write him off like that. He's obviously very talented and had a very impressive first season.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
alot of crap

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Edler isn't even a sure top sixer in Sweden, Jönsson is second - at the very least third.

He chose not to play in the NHL, he would've been a Norris contender if he would've the last 5-6 years.

He's that good.

Far better than Edler...:help:

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Berglund hasn't really impressed me either but give the kid a break. He's coming off his first NHL season and has never played that amount of games before. Just because he's suffering from fatigue, doesn't mean that you should write him off like that. He's obviously very talented and had a very impressive first season.

I agree 100%. Berglund injured his groin half way through the season and never regained the same jump he had early in the season. Now that he has one season under his belt he will continue to bulk up in the off season and come back even more prepared for his 2nd season. He had a very good +/- last season, even when the team was big time -. When he was on top of his game last season he was very good. Having confidence and playing consistent will come as he matures. He should be able to avoid the sophmore slump because the Blues will have decent scoring depth which will keep him from facing the other teams shut down defenders every night.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Edler isn't even a sure top sixer in Sweden, Jönsson is second - at the very least third.

He chose not to play in the NHL, he would've been a Norris contender if he would've the last 5-6 years.

He's that good.

Far better than Edler...:help:

"Far" better, there you lost all credibility. But we'll see in the coming weeks, the Canucks are still on the ice.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Swedish roster is pretty locked if Sundin choose to return.

Like I think BÃ…G wants a Detroit unit -- that makes all the sense in the world.

So it seems very likely that this is the core;
Franzen-Zetterberg-X
X-Sedin-Sedin
X-Sundin-X
PJ-PÃ¥hlsson-X

Into thoose X's Bäckström and Alfredsson are of course locks. I can't see either playing with the Sedins. And Mikael Samuelsson got to be close to beeing put next to Z and the mule. While he definitly isn't a lock, he got to be close. Then the only option for Bäckis and Alfie is the 3rd and Sundins line.

That would give us;
Mule-Z-Samuelsson,
X1-Sedin-Sedin
Bäckis-Sundin-Alfredsson
PJ-PÃ¥hlsson-X2

For X1 there is a ton of options. Does BÅG wants a 2-way player there or a sniper? How about Huselius? If he wants a 2-way player there, Steen could be a option. Steen played with the Sedins before. Remember that BÅG went with Jörgen Jönsson there for the Olympics 4 years ago. If he thinks the Sedins can carry a sniper Loui Eriksson, Weinhandl, Omark and co are options. I don't think Huselius is a great fit with the Sedins... With BÅG you never now, Wallin could even be a option..

On X2 BÅG could hide some offense. There are of course allot of options. From Berglund to Sjöström to Omark/Loui and co.

The alternative to the lineup with this structure that I see is to put Bäckis or Alfie on the first line with Franzen and Z. THen I think Modin would be close to get a spot next to Sundin. BÅG really likes Modin.

On defense I think Kronwall-Lidström is a lock (its a short tournament and I can't see him not putting a full Detroit unit out there when he can). I am sure Magnus Johansson will be on the team. And Kenny Jönsson.

So we have;
Lidström-Kronwall
Jönsson-Y1
Y2-Magnus Johansson
Y3-Y4

Jönsson and Öhlund have played together before, and I think they will this time too. So Öhlund is put in Y1, I think thats pretty safe, Strålman might be the closest option because of the chemistry he is showing with Kenny. But on small ice I think BÅG will go with Öhlund. Finding someone for Y2 is bit harder. But Johnny Oduya have really stepped up for NJ this season. He is both decent offensivly and tough defensivly. There are some options though. Kim Johnsson, Enström, Strålman, Doug Murray, Edler and co.

For the 4th pairing I think and hope that BÃ…G will go with Doug Murray. I also think Victor Hedman is the type of player BÃ…G wouldn't mind carrying as the 8th D. He will be allot better next season and will play in the NHL.

So;
Lidström-Kronwall
Jönsson-Öhlund
Magnus Johansson-Oduya
Murray-Hedman

So if everyone is healty and Sundin plays, I think there very few positions available.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
"Far" better, there you lost all credibility. But we'll see in the coming weeks, the Canucks are still on the ice.

Kenny Jönsson has been a world class defender for a decade, he was voted as the best defender in the Olympics 2006. Edler is nowhere near his level, nor will he ever be.

He's got the physical tools, but lacks the intelligence to be an elite defender.

Ask any swede, and you'll see that most of them agree with me.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Berglund might get the sophomore slump next year and he didnt really perform in this year's playoffs
Could it be hes not suited for high intensity tournaments.

huselius is bit of a softie too, if you want three scoring lines, i wouldnt want huselius on there

i like that you guys put Johnny Oduya and Loui Eriksson in there

not too sure what sundin can still give, considering his major drop in production level this year

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Too bad most of our golden generation is useless or retired today..

Sundin, Forsberg, Näslund, Alfredsson (lost a step) & Lidström (also lost a step)

2018 is the next time Sweden will be in serious contention for the Olympic gold medal.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Too bad most of our golden generation is useless or retired today..

Sundin, Forsberg, Näslund, Alfredsson (lost a step) & Lidström (also lost a step)

2018 is the next time Sweden will be in serious contention for the Olympic gold medal.

I don't fully agree. Sundin & Forsberg are huge losses but Alfredsson & Lidström is still going very strong imo. Näslund wasn't even in the olympics 2006. With that said we now also have Bäckström and Franzén as big stars instead and you never know how Omark, Eriksson, Brunnström, Berglund etc develop during next season. My personal favourite is Weinhandl, i think he should be a lock when you look at those last two WC:s(one on small rink).

And I think the defensive line will be even better. Lidström, Kronwall, Öhlund, Oduya, Murray, Edler, Enström, Johnsson, Ericsson, Grossman, Tallinder. And then K.Jönsson isn't even mentioned! Someone argued that Edler would be a lock, he's absolutely not. Maybe if he gets to play with Öhlund otherwise he's just around top6 if not top8.

Also it's not just to have four megastarlines, you need to have roles and great special teams and good chemistry. We can get great chemistry from the Detroitplayers and Sedins and then build from that..

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'd love to see Eriksson with the Sedins. That would be nasty. As a Dallas homer I just have chime in. Brunnstrom won't make your top 12 unless there are injuries but he should be on your taxi squad. He's got great hands and will be a future bright spot on Swedish national teams. He's got the inside track for the coveted spot alongside Morrow and Ribiero on Dallas' first line next year. The guy has all the skills, he just needs a little more time to put it together. He'll score 50 plus points if he stays healthy next season.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
This should be a VERY strong team.

Is Hedberg really the best option for the backup spot?

There has gotta be some better options in the European leagues.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
This should be a VERY strong team.

Is Hedberg really the best option for the backup spot?

There has gotta be some better options in the European leagues.

there are several options. tellqvist maybe. but i think gustavsson at the current WC will make a name for himself and depending on his transition to NA he could be a decent backup option.

personally i'd favor anyone over hedberg/tellqvist/holmqvist/liv. :D

lundqvist, ersberg/gustavsson would be nice.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
there are several options. tellqvist maybe. but i think gustavsson at the current WC will make a name for himself and depending on his transition to NA he could be a decent backup option.

personally i'd favor anyone over hedberg/tellqvist/holmqvist/liv. :D

lundqvist, ersberg/gustavsson would be nice.

I'd include Enroth as a candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille