Olympics: Sweden Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
My Three Crowns team. A very Detroit style team with defensive responsible players.

Zetterberg - Backstrom - Alfredsson (awesome two-way players and will serve as both shutdown and scoring line)
Franzen - Sedin - Sedin (strong cycle game from Sedins and a big body with a sniper shot in Franzen.)
Eriksson - Berglund - Weinhandl (Some young up n' commers with the only non NHL:er Weinhandl who still know how to play the smaller ice.)
Holmstrom - Pahlsson - Sjostrom (checking line with some PK responsibility, in Homers case PP)
Extra forward, Samuelsson.

(Not much to say, a solid blueline. Hedman there to see and learn.)
Lidstrom - Ohlund
Kronwall - Oduya
Edler - Johnson

Hedman

(Only the starter really matters unless god forbid you run into injury problems, then the lack of experience of the backups might hurt Swedens chances)
Lundqvist
Ersberg
Gustavsson

STHLM*

Sweden Is The Favorites To The Gold Along With Russia And Canada!!!! Goooooooo Sweden!!!!!!

Ralfduran

Jul 24, 2009
Stockholm, Sweden
Ah I wish that Forsberg was healthy, he would add that extra spice to the team that often is needed if you want to go far in these kind of tournaments.

But for now I would put it like ...

Zetterberg - Backstrom - Alfredsson

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Samuelsson

Franzen - Tony MÃ¥rtensson - Weinhandl

Holmstrom - PÃ¥hlsson - Huselius

Defense
Lidstrom - Kronwall

Ohlund - Hedman

Oduya - Murray

Goalies
Lundqvist
Jonas The Monster

If Sundin wants to play, he will play!

GO SWEDEN

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Uhm... They have NO great players. Not one. Some average players, some solid players, but no GREAT players. Kane might become great one day, but that day won't come for another couple of years.

US has NO chances. None. Zero. Zilch. Even if the entire Canadian, Russian and Swedish lineups come down with the flu, they still need people that can put the pucks in the net. Which only Kane and Parize know how to do. Sort of. But that's OT, sorry :)

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
LOCKS:
G Henrik Lundqvist New York Rangers
D Niklas Kronwall Detroit Red Wings
D Nicklas Lidström Detroit Red Wings
D Mattias Öhlund Tampa Bay Lightning
L Johan Franzén Detroit Red Wings
L Daniel Sedin Vancouver Canucks
C Nicklas Bäckström Washington Capitals
C Henrik Zetterberg Detroit Red Wings
C Henrik Sedin Vancouver Canucks
R Daniel Alfredsson Ottawa Senators

PROBABLES:
D Alexander Edler Vancouver Canucks
D Tobias Enström Atlanta Thrashers
D Johnny Oduya New Jersey Devils
D Anton Strålman Toronto Maple Leafs
L Per-Johan Axelsson Boston Bruins
L Loui Eriksson Dallas Stars
C Samuel PÃ¥hlsson Columbus Blue Jackets
R Tomas Holmström Detroit Red Wings

POSSIBLES:
G Jhonas Enroth Portland Pirates
G Erik Ersberg Los Angeles Kings
G Jonas Gustavsson Toronto Maple Leafs
G Johan Holmqvist Frölunda HC
G Daniel Larsson Grand Rapids Griffins
G Stefan Liv HV71
G Jacob Markström Brynäs IF
G Mikael Tellqvist Ak Bars Kazan
D Jonathan Ericsson Detroit Red Wings
D Victor Hedman Tampa Bay Lightning
D Niklas Hjalmarsson Chicago Blackhawks
D Magnus Johansson Linköpings HC
D Kim Johnsson Minnesota Wild
D Douglas Murray San Jose Sharks
D Henrik Tallinder Buffalo Sabres
L Kristian Huselius Columbus Blue Jackets
L Fredrik Modin Columbus Blue Jackets
L Linus Omark Dynamo Moscow
L Fredrik Sjöström Calgary Flames
C Patrik Berglund St. Louis Blues
C Joel Lundqvist Frölunda HC
C Tony Mårtensson Linköpings HC
C Alexander Steen St. Louis Blues
R Patric Hörnqvist Nashville Predators
R Oscar Möller Los Angeles Kings
R Mikael Samuelsson Vancouver Canucks
R Mattias Weinhandl Dynamo Moscow

LONG SHOTS:
D Kristofer Berglund Luleå HF
D Carl Gunnarsson Toronto Marlies
D Nicklas Grossman Dallas Stars
D Tim Erixson Skellefteå AIK
D Jonas Frögren Toronto Maple Leafs
D Niclas Hävelid Linköpings HC
D Jonas Junland Peoria Rivermen
D Staffan Kronwall Calgary Flames
D Andreas Lilja Detroit Red Wings
D Marcus Ragnarsson Djurgårdens IF
D Alexander Rundblad Skellefteå AIK
D Mattias Timander MODO Hockey
D Daniel Tjärnqvist Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
D Niclas Wallin Carolina Hurricanes
C Mikael Backlund Calgary Flames
C Johan Davidsson HV71
C Peter Forsberg Free agent
C Johan Harju Dynamo Moscow
C Jacob Josefson Djurgåredns IF
C Michael Nylander Washington Capitals
C Mats Sundin Free agent
C Niklas Sundström MODO Hockey
C Rickard Wallin Toronto Maple Leafs
C Tom Wandell Texas Stars
C Marcus Nilson Djurgårdens IF
L Robert Nilsson Edmonton Oilers
L Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson Timrå IK
L Mattias Tedenby HV71
R Nicklas Bergfors New Jersey Devils
R Fabian Brunnström Dallas Stars
R Per Ledin HV71

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Why Axelsson haha? Sjostrom is better.

Axelsson has been really, really good on the national team and has awesome chemistry with both Påhlsson and Alfredsson. Sjöström has played one tournament where he looked semi-awkward most of the time.

Axelsson is a much, much safer bet while Sjöström is unexperienced internationally and doesn't really hold much promise in the future either.

If one of them is an unlogical choice, it sure isn't P-J.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Axelsson has been really, really good on the national team and has awesome chemistry with both Påhlsson and Alfredsson. Sjöström has played one tournament where he looked semi-awkward most of the time.

Axelsson is a much, much safer bet while Sjöström is unexperienced internationally and doesn't really hold much promise in the future either.

If one of them is an unlogical choice, it sure isn't P-J.

Sjostrom is bigger, faster, stronger, more gritty, better in PK and younger.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Sjostrom is bigger, faster, stronger, more gritty, better in PK and younger.

He won't have a chance to show that on the national team before the olympics. A swedish coach always goes for a safer bet when two players are so close.

Chemistry and knowing exactly what the player brings to the National team is extremely important.

Sjöström seems like a weird player to have a man crush on too... Is a bit shaky with the puck and will probably never score 30 points in a single season in the NHL...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I look at the (potential) Swedish roster, and while I like the top six forward group, a couple of the defensemen, and Lundqvist in goal, I don't see a ton of depth. What is the honest expectation for this team going into the Olympics? Is this a team whose sum is greater than it's parts? Am I underrating some of the talent? Not trolling here, just curious. SLTHM need not reply.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I look at the (potential) Swedish roster, and while I like the top six forward group, a couple of the defensemen, and Lundqvist in goal, I don't see a ton of depth. What is the honest expectation for this team going into the Olympics? Is this a team whose sum is greater than it's parts? Am I underrating some of the talent? Not trolling here, just curious. SLTHM need not reply.

You are probably right that this team doesn't have a ton of depth. Some of the top players have either recently retired or are injured, like Sundin, Forsberg and Kenny Jonsson. At the same time Sweden's deep prospect pool of players born in the late eighties and earl nineties aren't ready yet. So right now Sweden has a bit of a gap in its talent pool.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

A team doesnt need 4 lines of all-stars, there will be room for grinders as well, (I like players like Sjöström or Axelsson chances for that reason). So yes team chemistry is important of course.

Still Sweden cant afford injuries on the Sedins or Zetterberg or Kronwall for instance. It would hurt to much, so yes again Sweden does lack depth compared to Canada or Russia and maybe even the US.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

Medal contender. Though Russia and Canada are favourites, but we are fine with that, we can play our game and don't worry about expectations.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Also people often confuse depth in the NHL with depth in a olympic tournament. They are not even close in weight. All top7 countries have rosters near allstar teams or top teams and thus depth is not the biggest factor. There is only 1 puck and only so much ice time, chemistry is far more important. It's the reason we've had 6 different final teams out of six possible in the pro olympics so far and why Canada who has the best depth can be anywhere from gold winner to a fiasco.

sag2k3

Feb 4, 2009
Medal contender. Though Russia and Canada are favourites, but we are fine with that, we can play our game and don't worry about expectations.

It's only the stupid ones that thinks that Russia and Canada are top 2 without any doubt. Sweden have also a lot of expectations on their shoulders. So dont say the swede dont have any expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad