Olympics: Sweden Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Edler is most likely a lock. You haven't seen him play. He's the most underrated defenseman in the league. He is not just about the offense, he can play very well defensively and is very physical as well. He's a lock imo.

actually i've seen him a lot this season. i've seen his improvement on PP and he's of course not bad in the own zone. but the defensively his game has the most space to develop. and physical, well...he's still too shy. he still has to learn to hit. he can do that, he just needs to stop being shy.

and like krm500 says, edler is no lock. he's was pretty bad last year for national team, he doesn't get the chance to play for national team again before the olympics, so it will be tough for him to make the roster.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
actually i've seen him a lot this season. i've seen his improvement on PP and he's of course not bad in the own zone. but the defensively his game has the most space to develop. and physical, well...he's still too shy. he still has to learn to hit. he can do that, he just needs to stop being shy.

and like krm500 says, edler is no lock. he's was pretty bad last year for national team, he doesn't get the chance to play for national team again before the olympics, so it will be tough for him to make the roster.

Last year he was emergency called up from Manitoba Moose, premature. I don't blame him being bad in the National team. I mean he hasn't even played in the 2nd tier in Sweden, SEl even less. I guess he was a bit odd, without any relevant team affiliation or even old friends from before. He is established now, it will be different.

This season he had had a slump, but AV had faith in him all the time, and never put him in the Dog house. The slump where expected and he is out of it now.

He is a solid player with a rock hard shot, good performance during PP and don't get pushed away from the puck easily. He is a lock, if not now, then he will be it when the time is due.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Holmström - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Sedin - Sedin - Franzen
Naslund- Bäckström - Eriksson
Berglund - Pahlsson - Sjostrom
Huselius

Sundin is unlikely to play.

Lidström - Ohlund
Kronwall - Edler
Oduya - Murray
Havelid

Lundqvist

Possibles: Modin, Nylander, Brunnstrom, Weinhandl, Axelsson, Omark, Tallinder, Grossman, Lilja, Hedman, Jonsson

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
Holmström - Zetterberg - Franzen
Alfredsson - Sedin - Sedin
L Ericsson - Bäckstrom - Omark
Weinhandl - PÃ¥hlsson - MÃ¥rtensson/P Berglund

Lidstrom - Kronwall
Ohlund - Edler
D Murray - J Ericsson/Enström/Oduya/Hedman

And ftw we dont need a "checking line". You have checking lines for the reason that you normally cant fill 4 lines with bona fide forwards, which isnt the case in the Olympics.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
And ftw we dont need a "checking line". You have checking lines for the reason that you normally cant fill 4 lines with bona fide forwards, which isnt the case in the Olympics.
No, but we're going to need solid defensive forwards who can kill penalties and take pride in such a role.

93 Franzén - 40 Zetterberg - 19 Bäckström
21 Eriksson - 13 Sundin - 11 Alfredsson
12 Sedin - 20 Sedin - 96 Holmström
22 Axelsson - 26 PÃ¥hlsson - 37 Samuelsson
(23 Omark)

5 Lidström - 7 Kronwall
2 Öhlund - 29 Jönsson
6 Ericsson - 39 Enström
(3 Murray)

35 Lundqvist
30 Holmqvist

PP
5 - 11 ... 96 - 40 - 19
29 - 7 ... 93 - 13 - 21

PK
5 - 6 ... 22 - 26
2 - 7 ... 12 - 20

Last edited:

Merla

Nov 1, 2007
Sundin will not be in the lineup in the Olympics (nor the WC this yr). Backstrom is way better as a C than a winger. Samuelsson in the checking line? No thank you.

And K.Jonsson is way better than Edler and I'd rather have Jonsson than Enstrom tbh.

My team:

Franzen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Holmstrom - Backstrom - L.Eriksson
Sedin - Sedin - Weinhandl/Berglund/Huselius
Axelsson - Pahlsson - Sjostrom

Lidstrom - Kronwall
Ohlund - K.Jonsson
Ericsson - Enstrom/Edler/Oduya/M.Johansson/Murray/Grossman

Lundqvist - Holmqvist/Ersberg/Liv/Markstrom perhaps

Systemfel

Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Sundin will not be in the lineup in the Olympics (nor the WC this yr). Backstrom is way better as a C than a winger.
Yeah, I only have him there due to Sundin's presence. Mats might be there, or he might not be there.

Also, it didn't hurt Datsyuk to be moved to Zetterberg's wing. Both he and Z still managed to play a center's game.

Reviresco

Aug 4, 2008
No, but we're going to need solid defensive forwards who can kill penalties and take pride in such a role.

(23 Omark)

5 Lidström - 7 Kronwall
2 Öhlund - 29 Jönsson
6 Ericsson - 39 Enström
(3 Murray)

35 Lundqvist
30 Holmqvist

PP
5 - 11 ... 96 - 40 - 19
29 - 7 ... 93 - 13 - 21

PK
5 - 6 ... 22 - 26
2 - 7 ... 12 - 20

This looks really good, the only thing I would change is to get Sjöström in the fourth line, leaving Sammy out.

And also, way to many of you guys forget about Kenny Jönsson, I'd say he's a lock

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
In imaginary land with the leprechauns, fairies, unicorns?

Sameulsson :

08-09
Games 81 Hits 92 Points 40

08-07

Games 73 hits 74 Points 40

07-06

Games 53 hits 46 Points 34

Pj Axelsson :

08-09

Games 75 Hits 56 Points 30

08-07

Games 75 Hits 44 Points 29

07-06

Games 55 Hits 38 points 27

El Duderino

Aug 4, 2007
BC

(23 Omark)

5 Lidström - 7 Kronwall
2 Öhlund - 29 Jönsson
6 Ericsson - 39 Enström
(3 Murray)

35 Lundqvist
30 Holmqvist

PP
5 - 11 ... 96 - 40 - 19
29 - 7 ... 93 - 13 - 21

PK
5 - 6 ... 22 - 26
2 - 7 ... 12 - 20

No love for Edler? I'd put him in over Douglas Murray.

Systemfel

Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
No love for Edler? I'd put him in over Douglas Murray.
I think we're pretty set with powerplay defensemen, Enström and Jönsson are both better than Edler IMO. Besides, we need somebody who will **** up any cheapshotting Canadians.

futurekos22*

I think we're pretty set with powerplay defensemen, Enström and Jönsson are both better than Edler IMO. Besides, we need somebody who will **** up any cheapshotting Canadians.

Imo you have not watched edler. He has a bomb shot, and is a much better player than enstrom and jonsson and he can be very physical. Go look at the poll enstrom vs edler, and you can see edler beating him easily.

futurekos22*

Sundin will not be in the lineup in the Olympics (nor the WC this yr). Backstrom is way better as a C than a winger. Samuelsson in the checking line? No thank you.

And K.Jonsson is way better than Edler and I'd rather have Jonsson than Enstrom tbh.

My team:

Franzen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Holmstrom - Backstrom - L.Eriksson
Sedin - Sedin - Weinhandl/Berglund/Huselius
Axelsson - Pahlsson - Sjostrom

Lidstrom - Kronwall
Ohlund - K.Jonsson
Ericsson - Enstrom/Edler/Oduya/M.Johansson/Murray/Grossman

Lundqvist - Holmqvist/Ersberg/Liv/Markstrom perhaps

Jonsson<<Edler

One's playing in the nhl the best league and one is playing in another european league. Edler is a lock imo, He can hit, score with his big shot and is very good positionally and should be atleast 2nd pairing, this edler guy is something special. His true potential is a #1 defenseman. Jonsson is a good solid defenseman, but he is getting old now, and isn't that good anymore.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
If you had watched Kenny Jönsson since he left the NHL, you'd know he's become a much better player than he was before. Even though he's getting old, he is easily better then any swedish defender than Lidstrom.

I'm gonna get flamed for this, by people that never watch him play, but I'd say he's top-5 in the world.

My defence come 2010.

Lidstrom-Ericsson (yeah I said it, they looked amazing together this year)

Jönsson-Kronwall

Murray-Edler

futurekos22*

If you had watched Kenny Jönsson since he left the NHL, you'd know he's become a much better player than he was before. Even though he's getting old, he is easily better then any swedish defender than Lidstrom.

I'm gonna get flamed for this, by people that never watch him play, but I'd say he's top-5 in the world.

My defence come 2010.

Lidstrom-Ericsson (yeah I said it, they looked amazing together this year)

Jönsson-Kronwall

Murray-Edler

Jonsson is not even in ohlund's league but you don't even have ohlund in the roster. :shakehead

Lidstrom
Ohlund
Kronvall
Edler

are the top 4 swedish defenseman in the league

ohlund is arguably the second best swedish d-man in the league, in the future edler could be the best.

you have edler on the bottom pairing and no ohlund in your roster= fail.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Jonsson is not even in ohlund's league but you don't even have ohlund in the roster. :shakehead

Lidstrom
Ohlund
Kronvall
Edler

are the top 4 swedish defenseman in the league

ohlund is arguably the second best swedish d-man in the league, in the future edler could be the best.

you have edler on the bottom pairing and no ohlund in your roster= fail.

Jönsson is a better d-man than Öhlund is.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Yeah, I think you can ask any Swede and they will most probably say that Jönsson is ahead of any other Swedish d-men not named Lidström.

He sure is. Jönsson is not only Swedens #2 but he would be on any nations top6.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I think that Kenny Jonsson is severly underrated by people that haven't seen him play and might think that all good players are in the NHL. His only downside is that he's very injury prone and that one more concussion would force him to retire. Jonsson is today a much better hockey player than he was 5 or 10 years ago. Top5 in the world? Yes, that is not as crazy as it sounds for somebody who hasn't watch him play the last 3-4 years or so. He is definately top 15 in the world, at least. Jonssons biggest assests is his hockey sense, that is only second to Lidstrom of todays defenders, and his mobility. He can also log a huge amount of ice time and is a good leader.

Edler is a good talent but I doubt that he'll make the OG roster. He was cleary the worst player on Team Sweden last WCH. And anybody saying Edler is better than Jonsson is for me pure NHL/Vancouver or the here so famous "younger is better"-homerism. There is no coincidence that most OG rosters are made up of players around the age of 30. They are usually in their prime then.

I think these players are locks:
Lidstrom
K. Jonsson
Kronwall
Ohlund

These are very likely:
Ragnarsson
Murray
Enstrom
K. Johnsson
Tallinder

These are a long shot: (If they don't develop rapidly this autumn)
Stralman
Edler
J. Ericsson
Hjalmarsson
Lilja
M. Johansson
N. Wallin
Havelid
Grossman

My pick would be:

Lidstrom, Ohlund, K. Jonsson, Ragnarsson, Kronwall, Murray

And yes, Ragnarsson is almost as underrated as K. Jonsson. He is right now a much better defensman that Edler, Stralman, Enstrom etc. Of the younger guys I think Grossman might have a chance to get a spot if he succeeeds in this WCH.

Merla

Nov 1, 2007
Wow, can't believe Jönsson is that underrated. He is easily Sweden's #2 best d-men after Lidström. In my opinion he's way ahead of Kronwall, Öhlund, Edler etc. He's easily the best d-men in the WC, as always.

Can't believe ppl even put up Edler and Jönsson in the same league.. he's so far ahead of Edler.

futurekos22*

I think that Kenny Jonsson is severly underrated by people that haven't seen him play and might think that all good players are in the NHL. His only downside is that he's very injury prone and that one more concussion would force him to retire. Jonsson is today a much better hockey player than he was 5 or 10 years ago. Top5 in the world? Yes, that is not as crazy as it sounds for somebody who hasn't watch him play the last 3-4 years or so. He is definately top 15 in the world, at least. Jonssons biggest assests is his hockey sense, that is only second to Lidstrom of todays defenders, and his mobility. He can also log a huge amount of ice time and is a good leader.

Edler is a good talent but I doubt that he'll make the OG roster. He was cleary the worst player on Team Sweden last WCH. And anybody saying Edler is better than Jonsson is for me pure NHL/Vancouver or the here so famous "younger is better"-homerism. There is no coincidence that most OG rosters are made up of players around the age of 30. They are usually in their prime then.

I think these players are locks:
Lidstrom
K. Jonsson
Kronwall
Ohlund

These are very likely:
Ragnarsson
Murray
Enstrom
K. Johnsson
Tallinder

These are a long shot: (If they don't develop rapidly this autumn)
Stralman
Edler
J. Ericsson
Hjalmarsson
Lilja
M. Johansson
N. Wallin
Havelid
Grossman

My pick would be:

Lidstrom, Ohlund, K. Jonsson, Ragnarsson, Kronwall, Murray

And yes, Ragnarsson is almost as underrated as K. Jonsson. He is right now a much better defensman that Edler, Stralman, Enstrom etc. Of the younger guys I think Grossman might have a chance to get a spot if he succeeeds in this WCH.

:facepalm:

Ohlund actually beat jonsson in a poll 3 months ago of who is the better d.

Edler belongs in the more likely or even lock category.

Edler>>Enstrom and tallinder combined.
Edler>Murray
Edler is better than enstrom and tallinder combined while also better than murray who is better physically though.

The person who commented above doesn't even know what he is talking about, jonsson in a different league than edler? :shakehead :laugh:

Id bet if edler was playing in the same league as jonsson is, you guys would easily change your mind and opinion about edler.

Edler was the worst player in that last year WCH because he was basically worn out, from playing top minutes for the canucks injury proned d, and 2 years before he wasn't even in the nhl, he was in ahl's farm team.

If you watched you would know that edler is something special. He has the hardest shot even beating s.salo who is notabley has the hardest shot, on the pp look at how great his stats are, hes getting better each year and hes far younger than jonsson. He can hit hard, play physical, solid defensivally and has great he reminds me of a young lidstrom but obviously not better ofcourse. He's only 22 while jonsson is in his 30s.

I think you swedes need to watch the nhl more, and watch canucks players ohlund and edler more often and even watch kronvall, ericsson from detroit.

Edler is easily imo better than k.jonsson, and you swedes saying that hes a top 5 best player is downright laughable. If jonsson was so good why isn't he playing in the best league NHL now. Because he is old, injury proned.

The person who commented above me doesnt know what he is talking about.
K.jonsson isn't in edler's league imo, edler is far the better player, and k.jonsson is only better defensivally by not much. I actually like k.jonsson i was a huge fan of his when he played for the islanders to bad he was injury proned. Edler is playing in the better league, and you guys don't watch him, kronvall and ohlund that much because they are easily the top 3 swedish d behind lidstrom.

Edler will have a huge chance to play for the olympics in vancouver in 2010, where he's playing great hockey representing that city.

Best swedes defenseman currently are in order
1.Lidstrom
2.Ohlund/Kronvall
3.Kronvall/Ohlund
4.Edler
5.Jonsson
6.K.johnsson
7.Enstrom
8.Murray
9.Tallinder
10.Havelid/Oduya

Heck I would even say that k.johnsson, murray and enstrom are better than jonsson but I wouldn't rank them highter than jonsson because you swedes will get offended. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

futurekos22*

Edler has developed quite nicely and is a top 4 defenseman in most teams in the nhl. Kronvall imo is a 1st pairing defenseman on most teams as well. You swedes are severly underrating edler, ohlund and kronvall, especially edler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad