TV: Survivor 46

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Then it's even worse than I had feared. He's a man pretending to be a p***y.
Eh, he's just another reality TV person trying to ham it up and spring-board. Just like a lot of the asshole characters who really aren't as much of assholes as they portray, but need to go overboard for TV.

I think it's kind of disingenuous for them to glaze over the fact that he's actually a legitimate actor, but that wouldn't sell his shtick as much, I guess.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
lol he even had an uncredited role in the Holdovers which was nominated for Best Picture this year.
They've casted quite a few struggling actors over the years and give them what they are primarily doing. First ones that come to mind are Jenn Lyon(RIP) in Palau (listed as Nanny) and Sugar in Gabon (listed as Pin-up model). Or sometimes people who are still actors but have transitioned to other roles (Penner being an actor, but I believe listed as a producer).

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Anyone else starting to think bhanu is just a straight up production plant? This guy claims to be a super fan and love survivor so much yet it appears he knows very little about it. Plus the whole being an actor thing...

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Just finishing up Edge of Extinction now (I'm on the finale episode, so no spoilers please). Pretty good season, but I have a feeling I know where it's going to go and I'm going to be sorely disappointed if it happens.

Entertaining season with interesting characters, but quite a lot of passengers. And the actual Edge is pretty depressing. Even moreso than it was during Winners at War, IMO.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I don't like the 90 minutes episodes, they're too long and not necessary 1 hour is all that I can take at one time,
I'm with you for this season... But I think if the cast or gameplay were better the 90 minutes would be great. But these seasons have been pretty weak.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I don't like the 90 minutes episodes, they're too long and not necessary 1 hour is all that I can take at one time,
whole heartedly disagree with you. Love the 90 minute eps, perfect size for Survivor. Works great for Australia as well.

Hate them for Amazing Race and actually stopped watching last season because of that, but for Survivor they are perfect. Helps if the cast is fun which isn't the case so far this season so I do get the frustration.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
whole heartedly disagree with you. Love the 90 minute eps, perfect size for Survivor. Works great for Australia as well.

Hate them for Amazing Race and actually stopped watching last season because of that, but for Survivor they are perfect. Helps if the cast is fun which isn't the case so far this season so I do get the frustration.
I absolutely loved them for Australian Survivor. But the gameplay is a much higher level than recent US seasons.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Just finishing up Edge of Extinction now (I'm on the finale episode, so no spoilers please). Pretty good season, but I have a feeling I know where it's going to go and I'm going to be sorely disappointed if it happens.

Entertaining season with interesting characters, but quite a lot of passengers. And the actual Edge is pretty depressing. Even moreso than it was during Winners at War, IMO.
Well that was f***ing depressing and lame.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Well that was f***ing depressing and lame.
EOE is a bottom tier season for me. I hate battleback twists in general, and they destroy the premise of the game. Add in you get to bond with the jury outside the game, and know what they are going to vote based on. EOE was clearly designed to get Joe into the end game, although, I'm very glad that failed (similar to how Redemption Island in SOPA was designed to save Ozzy). They have to edit Devens into this massive threat to even attempt to justify the win.

It's even worse when you find out, the entire edge agreed to vote for whoever came back if they executed the strategy that Chris used, and Wardog came up with the entire plan. The only edger not to vote for him was Wentworth (and technically Devens who was on the edge before the plan), and the only person who didn't go to the edge who voted for Chris was Victoria. EOE was truly a gamebreaking twist, and Gavin was basically put in a position where he had to argue that what people on the edge did for however long they were there was invalid (which only pisses off the jury).

There are some good season with Battlebacks (WaW and Pearl Islands), but in general I despise the twist. EOE and RI are both bottom tier seasons, and SOPA is only bailed out because Coach managed to create a cult, and it's even funnier when you realize some people in that religious alliance were athiest.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
EOE is a bottom tier season for me. I hate battleback twists in general, and they destroy the premise of the game. Add in you get to bond with the jury outside the game, and know what they are going to vote based on. EOE was clearly designed to get Joe into the end game, although, I'm very glad that failed (similar to how Redemption Island in SOPA was designed to save Ozzy). They have to edit Devens into this massive threat to even attempt to justify the win.

It's even worse when you find out, the entire edge agreed to vote for whoever came back if they executed the strategy that Chris used, and Wardog came up with the entire plan. The only edger not to vote for him was Wentworth (and technically Devens who was on the edge before the plan), and the only person who didn't go to the edge who voted for Chris was Victoria. EOE was truly a gamebreaking twist, and Gavin was basically put in a position where he had to argue that what people on the edge did for however long they were there was invalid (which only pisses off the jury).

There are some good season with Battlebacks (WaW and Pearl Islands), but in general I despise the twist. EOE and RI are both bottom tier seasons, and SOPA is only bailed out because Coach managed to create a cult, and it's even funnier when you realize some people in that religious alliance were athiest.
Agreed with pretty much everything you said there. Battlebacks are lame. What irritated me most is that Chris didn’t really outplay, outwit, or outlast anyone. Once he got voted out he was under zero threat to actually be eliminate. On top of that he got to shmooze the jury for basically the whole season.

I didn’t know about the collusion to vote for the returnee. That’s scummy.

Also I literally LOL’d at your comment about SOPA. Sophie played that so well. Especially when coach was praying to god that they find the idol that he had in his pocket and trying to tell Brandon who god wants them to vote for. Lost the little bit of respect I had for Coach when that happened. Using religion to manipulate people to their faces like that goes deeper than survivor strategy and is just morally bankrupt behavior.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed with pretty much everything you said there. Battlebacks are lame. What irritated me most is that Chris didn’t really outplay, outwit, or outlast anyone. Once he got voted out he was under zero threat to actually be eliminate. On top of that he got to shmooze the jury for basically the whole season.

I didn’t know about the collusion to vote for the returnee. That’s scummy.

Also I literally LOL’d at your comment about SOPA. Sophie played that so well. Especially when coach was praying to god that they find the idol that he had in his pocket and trying to tell Brandon who god wants them to vote for. Lost the little bit of respect I had for Coach when that happened. Using religion to manipulate people to their faces like that goes deeper than survivor strategy and is just morally bankrupt behavior.
I don't think Coach is actually strategic enough to use religion as strategy. He basically used it to calm down an insane person, and it spiraled from there. Brandon Hantz is probably someone who never should have been cleared to play Survivor, and we saw how it eventually blew up in Caramoan.

I will say, if people make religion part of the game, then it is fair to use it as manipulation. The only reason the cult held together was that Albert and Sophie wanted it too, since it advanced their games. I believe she said on RHAP, if I'm in an alliance where people believe they are going to go to hell if they vote me out, I'm gonna use it. And, if it rubs people the wrong way, don't vote for that person on FTC.

I believe the deal in EOE was, you had to get Lauren to play her idol on you at 6 (and they were given a letter from Wentworth to trust the player coming in to give to Lauren), play your idol successfully at 5, and then win immunity and go to fire. If you did all those things, the edge would vote for you. It truly broke the game. Thankfully, we didn't see something like that in WaW, and the only votes there were due to personal relationships outside the game, and the fact the other 2 votes never met the frontrunner.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
it's amazing you guys can talk about old Survivor seasons off the top of your head. No joke, I can't even remember what happened last season or even picture/name one person on it. Gun to my head I would end up with a bullet in my head if I was asked to name the winner of last season.
How could you forget home-wrecking Dee with her massive toes??

Just Superfans doing Superfan things... LOL jk... In all honesty though, a lot of these older seasons I've watched pretty recently. I spend a lot of time discussing the seasons with my wife as well and reading about them after I finish them so that helps.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
How could you forget home-wrecking Dee with her massive toes??

Just Superfans doing Superfan things... LOL jk... In all honesty though, a lot of these older seasons I've watched pretty recently. I spend a lot of time discussing the seasons with my wife as well and reading about them after I finish them so that helps.

it's crazy, but you say Dee and I still have no recollection of who that is. And I am a superfan, just a superfan who's smoked way too much weed in his life and has lost his memory.

Oh wait, now I remember Dee. She was with that dude, Austin who was one of the worst players in Survivor history. Now I remember. And the tall nerdy ginger with the glasses. And the old lady. It's all coming back to me now.

• Haha

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
it's crazy, but you say Dee and I still have no recollection of who that is. And I am a superfan, just a superfan who's smoked way too much weed in his life and has lost his memory.

Oh wait, now I remember Dee. She was with that dude, Austin who was one of the worst players in Survivor history. Now I remember. And the tall nerdy ginger with the glasses. And the old lady. It's all coming back to me now.
I feel you, I have a shit memory too for most stuff (same reason as you lol) but for some reason survivor stuff sticks with me.

Yes absolutely. She played her “showmance” like a fiddle, won the million, and then f***ed Wendell while he was in a relationship.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I absolutely loved them for Australian Survivor. But the gameplay is a much higher level than recent US seasons.
i only watched the first 2 seasons a couple years back, I'm not sure if they still do it but the transition shots were sooo long and drawn out, it would be like 5 seconds of a wave crashing, 5 seconds of a snake, then like a 5+ sec zoomed in shot before they would actually get to the scene

lol I have smoked too much weed and have a shit memory too, but my ability to remember all the Survivor winners has just pushed out important shit from my brain, like algebra

also, to just state again, this cast reallyy sucks

• Haha

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I feel you, I have a shit memory too for most stuff (same reason as you lol) but for some reason survivor stuff sticks with me.

I have a good memory for some of the old stuff. For instance, I can probably recite every line Boston Rob ever said on the show lol.

Would love to see Boston Rob on the next season of Traitors. We should make a Traitors wish list of contestants. is there even a Traitors thread? I'm watching the UK version now. First season has been great. They even have a little person. I'm obsessed with little people. Can't take my eyes off them. It's not a sexual thing lol.

• Haha

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Honestly, that might have been the worst episode of survivor in the history of the show.

How pitiful and idiotic. Idk if I’m being paranoid or whatever but Bhanu seems like a fake plant. It’s hard to imagine he’s even a real authentic person. I’m glad we don’t have to see him anymore, I was sick of him after episode 1.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Honestly, that might have been the worst episode of survivor in the history of the show.

How pitiful and idiotic. Idk if I’m being paranoid or whatever but Bhanu seems like a fake plant. It’s hard to imagine he’s even a real authentic person. I’m glad we don’t have to see him anymore, I was sick of him after episode 1.
I'm just glad he's gone.

People complain about too many gamebots and Superfans, but Bhanu is the otherside of that coin. Someone playing completely for screentime with limited intention or ability to win.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I'm just glad he's gone.

People complain about too many gamebots and Superfans, but Bhanu is the otherside of that coin. Someone playing completely for screentime with limited intention or ability to win.
And this is what goes beyond annoyance and into infuriating for me. There are thousands of people out there who try to get on the show and would be great in it. Then you give screeen time to someone like him?

Apparently Bhanu had 35 confessionals in the 4 episodes. Insane and sort of insulting to the rest of the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad