TV: Survivor 46

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Crikey

Survivor 46: Annoying Island

I believe Bhanu broke the record for the earliest crier in a Survivor season. And what the hell was with him hand-feeding Jalensky like he's a baby bird? Is he going to chew his food for him too? The only dude who ever sticks his fingers in my mouth is my dentist.

Jalensky is a flake, Bhanu is waaaay too emotional, and I did not see a single contestant that stood out to me as appealing and someone I could side with. I know others will disagree, but that's the worst season opener I can recall.

Survivor 46, episode 1 WTF moment.

ezgif-1-5b1ba46654.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Satans Hockey

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Looks like another tribe that's going to be absolutely decimated early. Purple tribe has the incoherent and non-sleeping Jess and the ultra quitter Jelinski. I was worried for a second that the rest of them were going to keep Jelinski, at least Jess didn't give up and got a few puzzle pieces in the challenge. I've never seen someone quit so much and often as that Jelinski guy, like why even bother applying to the show if you have no interest in playing the game? I'm sure the producers sat down after that and went "where did we go wrong with casting him?". Jeff seemed to be actively encouraging the group to vote out Jelinski at tribal, we all know how much he hates quitters so it makes sense but at the same time I don't think I've ever seen that. The problem was that Jess continued to shoot herself in the foot whenever Jeff gave her a chance to easily make her case.

Luckily the right choice was made. I think Purple probably gets decimated again like Kaleb/Emily's tribe did last season. Which is unfortunate. And I think this is exposing the big trouble with the small starting tribes. Nowhere to hide is what they like about it, but when the producers screw up and burden a team of 6 with useless people it crushes that tribe. With 2 tribes of 10 it's easier for tribes to overcome a couple weak links and get them out early to strength the tribe. It's harder with 6. I'd like to see them go back to 2 tribes of 10 to start.

Anyways, I liked them showing the casting videos in the episode, that was a fun touch. Otherwise yeah not many people standing out in a good way yet. We'll see though it's really early.

Anyone here every watched "One Piece"? Naming the orange tribe "Nami" just had me thinking of this...
64ee071e8f9177001939e9fb

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Jelinski's voice was so annoying that I'm happy he's the first one out. I didn't like the guy but it really didn't look like they were gonna finish that challenge so I get the aspect of saving your strength and energy on a challenge that didn't look like they could finish.

Putting holes in the buckets seemed to make it impossible so not sure why neither of them wrapped the buckets in their shirts though to keep as much water in as possible. Might have been the only way that could have been completed.

Gonna be interesting to see how the one with all the allergies fairs since there doesn't seem like there's much she can eat. Plus the one who can't sleep and could barely talk at tribal. Wonder if we get a few people this season who have to leave because of medical reasons.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Jelinski's voice was so annoying that I'm happy he's the first one out. I didn't like the guy but it really didn't look like they were gonna finish that challenge so I get the aspect of saving your strength and energy on a challenge that didn't look like they could finish.

Putting holes in the buckets seemed to make it impossible so not sure why neither of them wrapped the buckets in their shirts though to keep as much water in as possible. Might have been the only way that could have been completed.

Gonna be interesting to see how the one with all the allergies fairs since there doesn't seem like there's much she can eat. Plus the one who can't sleep and could barely talk at tribal. Wonder if we get a few people this season who have to leave because of medical reasons.
I coulda got over the quit on the sweat challenge. It was quitting on the journey halfway through the challenge that got me. If he'd started with giving it up, he might have gained trust with the other tribes. But halfway through like that? No one could respect that. I'd have targeted him first in merge if he was somehow still around if i was the other tribe ppl, not someone you can trust. And he needed to lie to his tribe about happened no doubt, particularly about quitting. Why not just say you lost at least? Why admit the quit? He needed to go.

Yeah I forgot the allergies woman. I assume she can eat rice, so she's holding out for that I guess? Yeah we might see some medical DQs. Hard to tell though, sometimes the edits just build that up to highlight how tough it is.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Jelinsky seems like he wanted to be Tyson without any of the skill, strategy, or gusto of Tyson. What a loser. He quit multiple times and repeatedly said he wasn't quitting. The guy folds every single time... In two challenges and just about every conversation.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I am just reading the exit interview with Jelinsky and he says they were told explicitly they could not wrap their shirts around the bucket. They had to use their fingers to try to plug the holes. Still these things are tested, they CAN be done, but obviously it's very hard.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I am just reading the exit interview with Jelinsky and he says they were told explicitly they could not wrap their shirts around the bucket. They had to use their fingers to try to plug the holes. Still these things are tested, they CAN be done, but obviously it's very hard.

Cool thanks for the info on that one. I don't remember hearing it on the show but it feels like something that should be mentioned really quickly.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I just read his exit interview myself and I do not believe 90% of what's in there lol.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jelinsky is the most memorable first boot since Zane Knight. Thankfully, he also didn't quit at tribal like last years first boot. Sometimes to make the game more entertaining you need some bad players. But, Yanu is giving Ua, Tika and Lulu vibes where they may be the messiest tribe of the season. Granted, being the starting tribe with the least numbers come merge worked out great for Tika and Matsing.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I coulda got over the quit on the sweat challenge. It was quitting on the journey halfway through the challenge that got me. If he'd started with giving it up, he might have gained trust with the other tribes. But halfway through like that? No one could respect that. I'd have targeted him first in merge if he was somehow still around if i was the other tribe ppl, not someone you can trust. And he needed to lie to his tribe about happened no doubt, particularly about quitting. Why not just say you lost at least? Why admit the quit? He needed to go.

Yeah I forgot the allergies woman. I assume she can eat rice, so she's holding out for that I guess? Yeah we might see some medical DQs. Hard to tell though, sometimes the edits just build that up to highlight how tough it is.
Or to build a redemption arch for someone who goes far/perseveres.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Jelinsky seems like he wanted to be Tyson without any of the skill, strategy, or gusto of Tyson. What a loser. He quit multiple times and repeatedly said he wasn't quitting. The guy folds every single time... In two challenges and just about every conversation.

that's why I loved the casting of Jelinsky. Survivor loves to teach the viewers a lesson in the first episode. Last season the lesson was "its so much harder in real life than it looks on TV" and to teach us that they filled the cast with quitters who couldn't hack it day 1. Unfortunately they did such a good job casting for that role that it backfired and we ended up with two quitters instead of the intended one.

This year the lesson was a little different. This year's lesson was aimed at all the armchair strategists who think they would dominate the game if they got to play it. The title of the episode was Jelinsky's quote "this is where the legends are made". Then they gave him several sound bites about how he was going to dominate the game etc. They even gave him the seldon achieved honor of being mentioned only by his last name. And then we got to see him fail miserably at every turn....quitting two challenges, poor performance at Tribal council etc.

I predicted he would be the boot 10 minutes into the episode. Seen enough of Mark Burnett's heavy handed editing over the decades where it doesn't take long for me to be able to read the writing on the wall.

Overall looks like a pretty weak cast, but that's the norm for the Woke Survivor era we are living in these days.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
that's why I loved the casting of Jelinsky. Survivor loves to teach the viewers a lesson in the first episode. Last season the lesson was "its so much harder in real life than it looks on TV" and to teach us that they filled the cast with quitters who couldn't hack it day 1. Unfortunately they did such a good job casting for that role that it backfired and we ended up with two quitters instead of the intended one.

This year the lesson was a little different. This year's lesson was aimed at all the armchair strategists who think they would dominate the game if they got to play it. The title of the episode was Jelinsky's quote "this is where the legends are made". Then they gave him several sound bites about how he was going to dominate the game etc. They even gave him the seldon achieved honor of being mentioned only by his last name. And then we got to see him fail miserably at every turn....quitting two challenges, poor performance at Tribal council etc.

I predicted he would be the boot 10 minutes into the episode. Seen enough of Mark Burnett's heavy handed editing over the decades where it doesn't take long for me to be able to read the writing on the wall.

Overall looks like a pretty weak cast, but that's the norm for the Woke Survivor era we are living in these days.
Pretty sure Jelinsky is a legend. He's on the mount rushmore of first boots with Wendy Jo and Zane Knight.

Him, Ben and Soda are probably gonna be the unintentionally hilarious characters of the season. Ben reminds me of every single person I knew in high school whose entire identity was going to the next Phish show. And how Soda basically ripped the immunity idol from Venus's hands was priceless.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Wow, Jelinsky was a huge clown. One of the worst survivors of all time, quite the accomplishment for only being out there for 3 days.

My early early prediction to win it will be the tattoo girl who was on his tribe. Forgot her name but I can see her going far.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wow, Jelinsky was a huge clown. One of the worst survivors of all time, quite the accomplishment for only being out there for 3 days.

My early early prediction to win it will be the tattoo girl who was on his tribe. Forgot her name but I can see her going far.
Venus was my pick in pre-season, since the GTA women have dominated the game since they've been allowed to play starting in the New Era, and they haven't cast one since Maryanne and Erika. I'm getting a vibe the dominant tribe this season is going to be the Orange one, with Hunter and Tevin probably at the center of it.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Bring back villains Jeff 😡

Survivor thrived and got where it is today on the backs of those villains.

I gotta say, this new era is really starting to drain me of the excitement i used to have with this show. I'm getting tired of listening to Jeff hype up Survivor like it is the greatest experience ever in life and you should be so grateful for this opportunity to find yourself when youre out there. We have a million confessionals throughout every season now of contestants just going on about what survivor means to them, and what its taught them. This is okay to hear every once in awhile, but when it gets forced down your throat over and over again it loses its appeal and authenticity.

I hate being a debby downer about this stuff, but it comes from a place of caring and watching this show from the beginning. Survivor is just too positive overall now. You need conflict, you need drama, you need hatred to make iconic and memorable tv. Jeff is trying to avoid all of these things at all costs.

All these seasons just blend together now. I couldnt tell you who came from what season anymore. The people being cast are just recycled architypes every year. You have to be a white collar worker or going to some ivy league school with a bunch of past trauma and an insane love for survivor to get on this show nowadays.

Sure we get a diverse cast now based on appearance, but thats the furthest from the truth when you look at the diversity of personalities.

Superfans make awful TV.

Reactions: Jovavic and Zeppo

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Sure we get a diverse cast now based on appearance, but thats the furthest from the truth when you look at the diversity of personalities.
Unfortunately, CBS is more concerned with this and trying not to offend a very small majority of their viewership. Remember, someone got offended when Jeff would say "COME ON IN GUYS!" and they had to stop saying that :facepalm:

They don't want villains anymore because someone will get up and arms over them.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

I gotta say, this new era is really starting to drain me of the excitement i used to have with this show. I'm getting tired of listening to Jeff hype up Survivor like it is the greatest experience ever in life and you should be so grateful for this opportunity to find yourself when youre out there. We have a million confessionals throughout every season now of contestants just going on about what survivor means to them, and what its taught them. This is okay to hear every once in awhile, but when it gets forced down your throat over and over again it loses its appeal and authenticity.

I hate being a debby downer about this stuff, but it comes from a place of caring and watching this show from the beginning. Survivor is just too positive overall now. You need conflict, you need drama, you need hatred to make iconic and memorable tv. Jeff is trying to avoid all of these things at all costs.

All these seasons just blend together now. I couldnt tell you who came from what season anymore. The people being cast are just recycled architypes every year. You have to be a white collar worker or going to some ivy league school with a bunch of past trauma and an insane love for survivor to get on this show nowadays.

Superfans make awful TV.
I couldn't agree more and I've been saying that for a couple of years now. We need more Rudys and Russells. Give us the best contestants, not contestants that fill some sort of niceness quota.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Superfans make awful TV.
The issue on why we won't get outright villains again is more on the fanbase/society than the show in my opinion. Bruce got death threats last year for not even being a real villain just out of touch with some of his younger tribe, people were messaging Jelinsky all types of messed up stuff for just being comically bad at Survivor. They don't want to subject the people they cast to that.

There is a subsect of superfans who are legitimately insane, like the people who message professional athletes if they cost their fantasy team the week vile things like wishing injury or worse. The big thing there is, that athletes are more than well compensated and that's part of the downside of being a public figure. Not that, that excuses it in anyway. Survivor players unless you make the final 3 probably get less than 20k even with the 10k reunion bonus (yes they still get that, even with no live reunion).

I'm sure there have been people who easily could have been edited into villains in the New Era. Jesse for his cut-throat gameplay, or Shan, but they chose not to. While, I miss villains (although, outside players like Russell, most are in a grey area, like how is Parv a villain, but Amanda and Cirie a hero they played pretty much the same game in Micronesia etc.). Also, if you go too heavy on the recruits you end up with horrific seasons like Redemption Island or One World.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The issue on why we won't get outright villains again is more on the fanbase/society than the show in my opinion. Bruce got death threats last year for not even being a real villain just out of touch with some of his younger tribe, people were messaging Jelinsky all types of messed up stuff for just being comically bad at Survivor. They don't want to subject the people they cast to that.

There is a subsect of superfans who are legitimately insane, like the people who message professional athletes if they cost their fantasy team the week vile things like wishing injury or worse. The big thing there is, that athletes are more than well compensated and that's part of the downside of being a public figure. Not that, that excuses it in anyway. Survivor players unless you make the final 3 probably get less than 20k even with the 10k reunion bonus (yes they still get that, even with no live reunion).

I'm sure there have been people who easily could have been edited into villains in the New Era. Jesse for his cut-throat gameplay, or Shan, but they chose not to. While, I miss villains (although, outside players like Russell, most are in a grey area, like how is Parv a villain, but Amanda and Cirie a hero they played pretty much the same game in Micronesia etc.). Also, if you go too heavy on the recruits you end up with horrific seasons like Redemption Island or One World.
Yeah, I totally agree that social media is the biggest to blame, and has really shaped reality tv for the worse imo. I just see villains in other shows still. While its more rare, and not always as intense as it used to be, they still exist. Jeff himself said he doesnt want villains on the show anymore, period, which is rather unfortunate.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, I totally agree that social media is the biggest to blame, and has really shaped reality tv for the worse imo. I just see villains in other shows still. While its more rare, and not always as intense as it used to be, they still exist. Jeff himself said he doesnt want villains on the show anymore, period, which is rather unfortunate.
I saw him say that on RHAP, I think a bit of it is taken out of context. They don't want manufactured villains like what they tried to do with Ami in Vanuatu (they censored the peace sign she gave after being voted out to make it look like she was flipping the bird). If someone goes on and acts like Russell Hantz, that will likely be reflected in the edit. But, they aren't going to edit Jesse from 43 as a villain just because they can, as while he was ruthless, it never went past the game.

I think the other part of it is, they cast World's Apart to be filled with conflict, and production loved that season because the cast gave them what they wanted. But, in the end, it was one of the worst-received seasons of the New Era whereas Cambodia which was more-heavy on game-bottyness which directly followed it up, is probably held up as the best season of the 30's alongside DvG.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

Superfans make awful TV.
Great points here man. I’m currently finishing up Australian Survivor 2023 (Heroes vs. Villains). And the clashing between the two styles is absolutely incredibly entertaining.

Supervillain George amazingly entertaining. Possibly the best season I’ve seen aside from Winners at War which is an outlier for obvious reasons. .

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Unfortunately, CBS is more concerned with this and trying not to offend a very small majority of their viewership. Remember, someone got offended when Jeff would say "COME ON IN GUYS!" and they had to stop saying that :facepalm:

They don't want villains anymore because someone will get up and arms over them.

when it's said and done, historians will say the shows Jump the Shark moment was the 5 minute discussion on the beach about whether they should keep saying "come on in guys". It really made me consider just pressing the delete button and moving on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad