TV: Survivor 46

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Bring back villains Jeff 😡

Survivor thrived and got where it is today on the backs of those villains.

I gotta say, this new era is really starting to drain me of the excitement i used to have with this show. I'm getting tired of listening to Jeff hype up Survivor like it is the greatest experience ever in life and you should be so grateful for this opportunity to find yourself when youre out there. We have a million confessionals throughout every season now of contestants just going on about what survivor means to them, and what its taught them. This is okay to hear every once in awhile, but when it gets forced down your throat over and over again it loses its appeal and authenticity.

I hate being a debby downer about this stuff, but it comes from a place of caring and watching this show from the beginning. Survivor is just too positive overall now. You need conflict, you need drama, you need hatred to make iconic and memorable tv. Jeff is trying to avoid all of these things at all costs.

All these seasons just blend together now. I couldnt tell you who came from what season anymore. The people being cast are just recycled architypes every year. You have to be a white collar worker or going to some ivy league school with a bunch of past trauma and an insane love for survivor to get on this show nowadays.

Sure we get a diverse cast now based on appearance, but thats the furthest from the truth when you look at the diversity of personalities.

Superfans make awful TV.
great post. Couldn't agree more. Previous casts got ripped on because they included too many strong dudes and good looking girls. Need more diversity! Now we have casts that are even less diverse. They make look more diverse, but upon closer inspection its just a collection of purple hairs, game bots and pronoun police who all share the exact same world views.

Game has gotten boring with game bots obsessed with building resumes through big moves rather than building relationships and having a social game.

It is what it is. We still watch. But, when you watch US survivor and then watch some Australia Survivor it really stands out how much better the foreign versions are.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Took the advice of this thread and started watching Traitors. Love that show. Loved the first season because I'm a huge Cirie fan. So far second season has been great and playing much different than the first season. No spoilers please as I'm only at the part where one of the traitors got banished and an offer was made to a new recruit.

The traitor who was banished played an absolutely terrible game. Which was shocking to see.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Yanu tribe seem like they've been plucked straight out of Survivor Gabon.

The decision to put Jelinsky, Jess and Bhanu on the same tribe feels like a straight-up troll job by the producers lol.

Also, enjoying people on Reddit crying about "bullying" after spending the whole off-season complaining about how we don't have villains anymore.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

The decision to put Jelinsky, Jess and Bhanu on the same tribe feels like a straight-up troll job by the producers lol.

Also, enjoying people on Reddit crying about "bullying" after spending the whole off-season complaining about how we don't have villains anymore.
I believe there is a cursed beach in the New Era. I'm not sure if Yanu is on it, but I believe Tika, Ua and Lulu were. If Yanu is on it, it's priceless.

As I've said before, the reason we don't have outright villain edits anymore is because of a few deranged superfans on twitter. People sent Bruce death threats last year and he wasn't even a villain. People for some reason feel entitled to message and even DM horrible things at athletes and celebrities who while this is messed up, atleast make a fortune. Survivor players outside the one winner make nothing close to deserve the insanity. And, I say this when most of my favorite players of all time were on the villains tribe (Sandra, Coach, Courtney, Tyson) or would be labelled villains (Tony), only exceptions are Keith Nale and Jeremy.

This tweet was gold though.

Although, if he was a comedic genius, it would say several feet long.

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
This cast is insane, not in a good way but also not in a bad way. Its just a cluster f***, so entertaining.

But boy oh boy, the edit of Soda trying to steal the immunity idol off Venus' hands, not once but twice was something else. Venus is playing a bad game, isolating herself sometimes and then killing the mood because of her toe after a big win, but that's just straight up villain vibes from Soda.

Bhanu is cringe every time he speaks, Liz singing/cheering so loud during the challenge was annoying as f***. There's just something off about almost every player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This cast is insane, not in a good way but also not in a bad way. Its just a cluster f***, so entertaining.

But boy oh boy, the edit of Soda trying to steal the immunity idol off Venus' hands, not once but twice was something else. Venus is playing a bad game, isolating herself sometimes and then killing the mood because of her toe after a big win, but that's just straight up villain vibes from Soda.

Bhanu is cringe every time he speaks, Liz singing/cheering so loud during the challenge was annoying as f***. There's just something off about almost every player.
Are you saying Gabon 2.0?

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago

thought the same thing last night. They threw 3 total clowns on the same tribe. Bhanu gives off serious work place mass shooter vibes. I sure wouldn't want to upset him. He's batshit.

I believe there is a cursed beach in the New Era. I'm not sure if Yanu is on it, but I believe Tika, Ua and Lulu were. If Yanu is on it, it's priceless.

As I've said before, the reason we don't have outright villain edits anymore is because of a few deranged superfans on twitter. People sent Bruce death threats last year and he wasn't even a villain. People for some reason feel entitled to message and even DM horrible things at athletes and celebrities who while this is messed up, atleast make a fortune. Survivor players outside the one winner make nothing close to deserve the insanity. And, I say this when most of my favorite players of all time were on the villains tribe (Sandra, Coach, Courtney, Tyson) or would be labelled villains (Tony), only exceptions are Keith Nale and Jeremy.

This tweet was gold though.

Although, if he was a comedic genius, it would say several feet long.

LOL during that challenge I mentioned to my wife that they really needed Jelinsky's length in that challenge.

I have a hard time believing what you are saying about the reasoning behind no more villains. I just don't buy it that the producers care that much if contestants get mean DMs. Was there an interview where Probst said that?

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago

yea this season is gonna be a shit show. At least all the pre-merge stuff. So much cannon fodder.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
thought the same thing last night. They threw 3 total clowns on the same tribe. Bhanu gives off serious work place mass shooter vibes. I sure wouldn't want to upset him. He's batshit.

LOL during that challenge I mentioned to my wife that they really needed Jelinsky's length in that challenge.

I have a hard time believing what you are saying about the reasoning behind no more villains. I just don't buy it that the producers care that much if contestants get mean DMs. Was there an interview where Probst said that?
No, it just seems pretty obvious. But, it is documented they were upset about the season 30 situation with Will where Shirin went on social media got the narrative out of control at least according to Mario Lanza who has multiple sources within production.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Watching the episode felt like a fever dream...

The screaming montage, cringe trash talking before the challenge, Liz being straight up delusional, bhanu just being insane. Randomly interjecting so he can get some cringe speech in, that scene of him putting blood on his forehead, cracking once again at tribal...

I couldn't imagine being on a beach with half this cast. Tevin seems annoying too. Man thinks his shit don't stink and he's the greatest thing out there.

Bizarre, bizarre, bizarre...

Jeff has lost his mind too

Reactions: Zeppo

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Episode 2

Bhanu sets a new record for neediness and insecurity. There seems to be at least one like him every season. Sorry folks, I do not find that an appealing character trait.

The Taylor Swift v. Metallica argument provided the answer to the age-old question, "Is it possible for thirtysomethings to be boring and annoying at the same time?"

Reading recent comments in here, I am apparently in the minority. :laugh:

Just about every other season I'm always able to find a contestant I like and who I can root for. I haven't found that person yet, and it is definitely not Soda.

Here it is, your moment of WhatThef***ness:

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Episode 2

Bhanu sets a new record for neediness and insecurity. There seems to be at least one like him every season. Sorry folks, I do not find that an appealing character trait.

The Taylor Swift v. Metallica argument provided the answer to the age-old question, "Is it possible for thirtysomethings to be boring and annoying at the same time?"

Just about every other season I'm always able to find a contestant I like and who I can root for. I haven't found that person yet, and it is definitely not Soda.

Here it is, your moment of WhatThef***ness:

Haha I mostly agree with you. Me and my fiancee always pick a player each in ep 1 to cheer for. Neither of us have really solidified any choices this time. It's early but not many standouts in a good way. I think my favourite so far is the "I hate camp songs" guy, and I can't even remember his name lol. Maybe cheering for Venus, but she seems on the outs already. T-Swift Boi is really annoying, and I'm not even a Taylor Swift hater. I do dislike the rabidness of her hard-core fanbase though haha.

Banu-Jess-The Legendary Jelinski. What a way to kneecap a tribe sticking these 3 together. I'm not sure Q, Tiffany, or Kenzie are any good at survivor yet, but I feel bad for all 3 being stuck with those 3 starters. Banu is an idiot. Only morons would keep him into a merge/swap scenario, guy can't help but tell whomever is getting eliminated that they are getting eliminated. I'd be shocked if purple manages to win next week, I think they'll likely be down to 3 after next ep Banu banishment meaning they'll have to do a tribe swap. We haven't even gotten to the crazies elsewhere like CEO woman who needs to drop kicked out asap as well. Hopefully they start to eliminate the dead weight soon (Banu, CEO woman, T-Swift guy at least).

Reactions: LadyJet26

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Haha I mostly agree with you. Me and my fiancee always pick a player each in ep 1 to cheer for. Neither of us have really solidified any choices this time. It's early but not many standouts in a good way. I think my favourite so far is the "I hate camp songs" guy, and I can't even remember his name lol. Maybe cheering for Venus, but she seems on the outs already. T-Swift Boi is really annoying, and I'm not even a Taylor Swift hater. I do dislike the rabidness of her hard-core fanbase though haha.

Banu-Jess-The Legendary Jelinski. What a way to kneecap a tribe sticking these 3 together. I'm not sure Q, Tiffany, or Kenzie are any good at survivor yet, but I feel bad for all 3 being stuck with those 3 starters. Banu is an idiot. Only morons would keep him into a merge/swap scenario, guy can't help but tell whomever is getting eliminated that they are getting eliminated. I'd be shocked if purple manages to win next week, I think they'll likely be down to 3 after next ep Banu banishment meaning they'll have to do a tribe swap. We haven't even gotten to the crazies elsewhere like CEO woman who needs to drop kicked out asap as well. Hopefully they start to eliminate the dead weight soon (Banu, CEO woman, T-Swift guy at least).
If I'm rooting for anyone it's Venus due to Soda treating her like crap. I would love to see some karma served up there. :laugh:

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yea i'm definitely all on the Venus bus. She's also the only eye candy in the show so that doesn't hurt. She also seems like the most normal player in a long time.

Get Soda the f*** out. Can't stand her.

• Haha

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bhanu is finished. You can’t play a tribal like that unless you are playing an idol or your shot in the dark.

The players I like so far are Q, Kenzie, Venus, and Maria.

This cast is crazy, and that might not be a bad thing. Still to be seen if that makes for a good season.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Weird to see people liking Venus. She seems like a petulant brat.

She whined and whined about her toe being run over in the heat of a challenge... Like, lady... this is a SURVIVOR challenge, not an afternoon stroll down pushing a pram down a foot-path.

They won the challenge and she whined like a child because it didn't happen just how she wanted it to. Be happy you're not going to tribal council and start gaming. She's making herself into a pariah. IIRC she was the one talking about flipping on her entire tribe if she can make it to merge.

Which leads me to another thing, even as early as episode 1 people are talking about merge. I understand you gotta have a long-term vision of the game overall, but it seems wild to me how much they've been mentioning merge already.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Episode 2

Was awaiting your comments on Bhanu. This dude is unhinged. I thought he was going to be more zen and a calming force and he's the exact opposite lol.

As for the Metallica Taylor Swift thing, I think there's only so much you can do to entertain yourself when you're sitting around stranded on an island. Apparently Metallica actually responded to the moment and called him out for saying they have some terrible albums lol.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I was hoping they would have flipped the votes to Bhanu with how he acted during that tribal. They really need to find a better way to cast people who aren't super fans.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Was awaiting your comments on Bhanu. This dude is unhinged. I thought he was going to be more zen and a calming force and he's the exact opposite lol.

As for the Metallica Taylor Swift thing, I think there's only so much you can do to entertain yourself when you're sitting around stranded on an island. Apparently Metallica actually responded to the moment and called him out for saying they have some terrible albums lol.
Bhanu was likely picked by the producers for his flakiness.

I totally get what you're saying about the Metallica Taylor Swift thing and you're right. You gotta entertain yourself in situations like that. Does that necessarily entertain an audience of millions to be a witness to it? In my case, no. :laugh:

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Bhanu was likely picked by the producers for his flakiness.

I totally get what you're saying about the Metallica Taylor Swift thing and you're right. You gotta entertain yourself in situations like that. Does that necessarily entertain an audience of millions to be a witness to it? In my case, no. :laugh:
My guess was CBS trying to capitalize on the Swift-mania any way they can lol.

Bhanu is one of those guys I think of as a casting director's delight. He's out of touch, irrational, and full of himself. I think of guys like Coach, Ace, Jean-Robert, etc.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bhanu is finished. You can’t play a tribal like that unless you are playing an idol or your shot in the dark.

The players I like so far are Q, Kenzie, Venus, and Maria.

This cast is crazy, and that might not be a bad thing. Still to be seen if that makes for a good season.
I like Charlie too.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Which leads me to another thing, even as early as episode 1 people are talking about merge. I understand you gotta have a long-term vision of the game overall, but it seems wild to me how much they've been mentioning merge already.

hey, at least they're not blabbing about trying to improve their Survivor resumes already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad