Speculation: Summer 2018 off season roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Yeah, it'd either be Tierney or Labanc that goes with Martin to get him off the books. Boedker shouldn't be difficult to move coming off this season. A 2nd or 3rd round pick seems doable. Karlsson and his 2 mil should also go but he'll only return a 5th-7th round pick which is fine. Sorensen and Goodrow should be on the wings of the 4th line next season. If DW manages to swing those trades, that money savings should be enough for Tavares. I don't know if Fehr and DeMelo get 1 mil though. Fehr got a raw deal in Toronto and produces at a clip that could get a team to bite at 2 mil. DeMelo's production would probably put him at about 1.5 mil since I'm expecting only a one year deal for him if he signs here. Thornton you can make a guess at anywhere from 1 mil to 6 mil because of his 35+ status. If he took bonuses mostly then they can use what they have on the bonus cushion to go over the cap. I'd sell him hard on a one year, 1 mil salary with like three or four million in bonuses. But that's only if Tavares signs here. If they're going to miss out on him then you can move more of the bonuses into the salary area since it wouldn't be likely that the Sharks spent to cap.

Yeah exactly, we can wait until after Tavares signs either in San Jose or elsewhere before worrying about Thornton. Jumbo's not going anywhere and it seems like he'd be open to structuring his contract to fit the needs of the team. If Fehr won't take $1mil we can find some other fourth liner who can, it's not a big deal. Same goes for DeMelo, if he won't take a $1mil contract just trade his RFA rights or straight up let him walk and sign a defenseman who will. Ideally Tim Heed plays on the third pair next year anyway. We would probably need to sign another depth forward too but hopefully someone like Alex Chiasson, Daniel Winnik or Jimmy Hayes will be available for around $700k like they were last year. I'm all for trading Karlsson to free up cap space but you're likely just going to end up having to replace him with a forward who makes around $1mil.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah well Kane isn't walking so we need to move forward to the next thing. Kane's re-signing means a winger is going to be dealt. They need to move Karlsson regardless. Martin and Thornton's status are affected by Tavares' availability. Martin because if Tavares isn't available then they should buy him out instead of trading someone like Tierney or Labanc with him to lose the cap hit. Thornton's because they could go over the cap by giving him more performance bonuses for flexibility purposes. I sincerely doubt the organization or many fans are going to see Boedker as this untouchable that you view him as. He was good this year but he was good for a 2nd liner and his start plus last year takes him away from untouchable status. As for Tavares' availability, you're probably right that he's not available to the Sharks but you keep that door open so long as he keeps it open too. This team should make that pitch to him if he's willing to hear it. Prepare financially as if you will sign him and move forward if you don't.

If the owners fire Wilson before he can sign Kane then he might still walk and Vegas gets to throw out stupid money and term. That would the ideal solution. Sadly it's not likely to happen.
I'm not Boedker's greatest fan but he does provide good value when it matters. Fans will never like him because he's streaky and everything but flashy. Fans also disliked him in Arizona. What he does when he's sharp shouldn't be understimated though. He's responsible defensively, can play against top competition and is deadly on breakaways because he's fast, keeps it simple and is a good shooter. If you're gonna trade him then a better player needs to come back and that guy won't be easy to find.

And re Tavares, of course you have to be ready just in case...that's what makes signing Kane for 7x7 even worse.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah exactly, we can wait until after Tavares signs either in San Jose or elsewhere before worrying about Thornton. Jumbo's not going anywhere and it seems like he'd be open to structuring his contract to fit the needs of the team. If Fehr won't take $1mil we can find some other fourth liner who can, it's not a big deal. Same goes for DeMelo, if he won't take a $1mil contract just trade his RFA rights or straight up let him walk and sign a defenseman who will. Ideally Tim Heed plays on the third pair next year anyway. We would probably need to sign another depth forward too but hopefully someone like Alex Chiasson, Daniel Winnik or Jimmy Hayes will be available for around $700k like they were last year. I'm all for trading Karlsson to free up cap space but you're likely just going to end up having to replace him with a forward who makes around $1mil.

When it comes to Fehr, I think if he's willing to take 1.5 mil then you sign him. When it comes to Karlsson, no replacement is necessary. Chiasson, Winnik, and Hayes aren't needed. Are wingers are Kane, Pavelski, Couture, Donskoi, Meier, Labanc, Sorensen, and Goodrow if you move Boedker and Karlsson. The extra can come from within. Like it wouldn't surprise me if they made that extra man/4th line option spot Lukas Radil's spot to lose in training camp. You generally don't bring 27 year old players over to play in the AHL. DW has the ability obviously and gave him the extra 100k to give him this shot but I think that's the hope. If not him then someone like Praplan or Sandberg that are a little older and more developed probably have the inside track.

Reactions: seroes

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
When it comes to Fehr, I think if he's willing to take 1.5 mil then you sign him. When it comes to Karlsson, no replacement is necessary. Chiasson, Winnik, and Hayes aren't needed. Are wingers are Kane, Pavelski, Couture, Donskoi, Meier, Labanc, Sorensen, and Goodrow if you move Boedker and Karlsson. The extra can come from within. Like it wouldn't surprise me if they made that extra man/4th line option spot Lukas Radil's spot to lose in training camp. You generally don't bring 27 year old players over to play in the AHL. DW has the ability obviously and gave him the extra 100k to give him this shot but I think that's the hope. If not him then someone like Praplan or Sandberg that are a little older and more developed probably have the inside track.

Fehr can have a two way deal to play with the Barracuda for some organizational depth or leave. Sharks have better options. Praplan has all the tools. Great player but about as much of a floater as Damien Brunner. Is he willing to work on his game? I'm not sure. Maybe he'll prove me wrong but he struggled in just about every important game and returned to Switzerland rather early last season. Should have attended the NHL camp no matter what. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. It's because of players like him that many GM's are just as hesitant to sign/draft Swiss players as they are to sign/draft Russians.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the owners fire Wilson before he can sign Kane then he might still walk and Vegas gets to throw out stupid money and term. That would the ideal solution. Sadly it's not likely to happen.
I'm not Boedker's greatest fan but he does provide good value when it matters. Fans will never like him because he's streaky and everything but flashy. Fans also disliked him in Arizona. What he does when he's sharp shouldn't be understimated though. He's responsible defensively, can play against top competition and is deadly on breakaways because he's fast, keeps it simple and is a good shooter. If you're gonna trade him then a better player needs to come back and that guy won't be easy to find.

And re Tavares, of course you have to be ready just in case...that's what makes signing Kane for 7x7 even worse.

It's not merely a matter of Boedker being streaky. Boedker was bad last year and he was bad to start this year. It's hard to trust what he turned this year into because of it. But from a skills perspective he is ideal for the role. I think the winger to be dealt matter could be dealt with after the Tavares thing is put to bed once and for all. I think the telling sign as to whether DW believes Tavares to San Jose is a realistic possibility is if he pulls the trigger on trading Martin with either Tierney or Labanc to move his cap space. If he does a move like that, he's going after Tavares. I agree that Kane's signing does make that more difficult financially but it may also help to sell Tavares on coming here as it would be good odds that he'd play with Kane. We'll see.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Fehr can have a two way deal to play with the Barracuda for some organizational depth or leave. Sharks have better options. Praplan has all the tools. Great player but about as much of a floater as Damien Brunner. Is he willing to work on his game? I'm not sure. Maybe he'll prove me wrong but he struggled in just about every important game and returned to Switzerland rather early last season. Should have attended the NHL camp no matter what. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. It's because of players like him that many GM's are just as hesitant to sign/draft Swiss players as they are to sign/draft Russians.

If the Sharks offer Fehr a two-way deal, he's walking. That's pretty much a guarantee. I don't know that the Sharks have better 4C options next year from within. They have guys with talent like Gambrell and Letunov but they're probably not going to want to put them in the 4C spot.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If the Sharks offer Fehr a two-way deal, he's walking. That's pretty much a guarantee. I don't know that the Sharks have better 4C options next year from within. They have guys with talent like Gambrell and Letunov but they're probably not going to want to put them in the 4C spot.

I still wanna separate Herl and Couture and use Tierney as 4C. So Tierney with Sorensen and Goodrow could be the 4th line to start the season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I still wanna separate Herl and Couture and use Tierney as 4C. So Tierney with Sorensen and Goodrow could be the 4th line to start the season.

I'm not paying Tierney 3 million, which is probably his cap hit next season, to center the 4th line.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Yeah, Tierney is the guy you package with Martin to try and get some team to take Martin's contract off your hands. The risk is in doing that deal before free agency, losing out on Tavares and ending up without a viable third line center. But then if you wait until after the Tavares signing, teams will know they have us over a barrel in terms of cap space and may be unwilling to deal.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm not paying Tierney 3 million, which is probably his cap hit next season, to center the 4th line.

No big deal. Tampa might win the Cup this year with a 4th line almost making 9 millions. But of course trading Tierney is something I'd be open for. I wanna use Jumbo as 4C though and unless a miracle happens and Wilson lands either Tavares or Stastny it would make a lot of sense to use the best Centers in their natural position for some Center depth.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No big deal. Tampa might win the Cup this year with a 4th line almost making 9 millions. But of course trading Tierney is something I'd be open for. I wanna use Jumbo as 4C though and unless a miracle happens and Wilson lands either Tavares or Stastny it would make a lot of sense to use the best Centers in their natural position for some Center depth.

Just because Tampa is running with Callahan on their 4th line doesn't make it a good idea to pay someone 3 mil to center their 4th line. Tampa is afforded that because Point, Cirelli, Gourde, Paquette, Sergachev are cheap. Sharks aren't really capable of spending like that when their blue line needs work.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB

Just Tavares, all I want is JT. Jumbo can sign on a cheaper 1 year deal also. Stastny will get more than Kane will get. We need to go higher than we have before. I expect DW to be a super busy man. If not, that will be disappointing.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Just because Tampa is running with Callahan on their 4th line doesn't make it a good idea to pay someone 3 mil to center their 4th line. Tampa is afforded that because Point, Cirelli, Gourde, Paquette, Sergachev are cheap. Sharks aren't really capable of spending like that when their blue line needs work.

A team that can afford to pay Kane 7x7 can probably also afford to pay Tierney to play 4C. He can still play special teams or get extra shifts. If there's no Karlsson or Ward around, I expect the Sharks 4th line to be more productive anyways. Tierney would probably still get similar ice time. But then again, trading Tierney also wouldn't be the end of the world.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
A team that can afford to pay Kane 7x7 can probably also afford to pay Tierney to play 4C. He can still play special teams or get extra shifts. If there's no Karlsson or Ward around, I expect the Sharks 4th line to be more productive anyways. Tierney would probably still get similar ice time. But then again, trading Tierney also wouldn't be the end of the world.

Paying Kane 7x7 is precisely why they can't afford to pay Tierney $3mil to center the fourth line. When you pay your top players that much you have to skimp on depth.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Paying Kane 7x7 is precisely why they can't afford to pay Tierney $3mil to center the fourth line. When you pay your top players that much you have to skimp on depth.

Exactly why I mentioned it. It's stupid to overpay and give up depth. Just watch the Oilers...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Except this response glosses over the point. Tierney as a 3 million dollar 4th line center should not be prioritized over improving their blue line regardless of whether it can be afforded.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don’t normally read Ross Mckeon, and after reading that hockey intuition is telling him Tavares will stay, I’m not going to start.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Theodore scored 37 points in 50 AHL games as a 20-year-old defenseman. That is an exceptionally rare feat. Highly touted forwards often don't score that much as 20-year-olds in the AHL. At the same age, Demers scored 33 points in 78 AHL games, Ehrhoff scored 27 points in 48 German league games and Braun scored 23 points in 39 NCAA games. None of them were even comparable statistically to Theodore. Regardless of how anyone considered Theodore's defensive play, those numbers (especially in combination with his ridiculous WHL point totals) are objective evidence that he was always a very good bet to be an impact NHL defenseman.

Given how bad some of those Worcester teams were, I’d say Demers’s production is quite similar.

Theodore was thought of as someone not quite talented enough offensively to be a Campbell/Boyle type, and not solid enough defensively to be a puck-moving 3/4 type.

He had a lot of defensive issues in his game that he has ironed out very well in Vegas.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Yeah, Tierney is the guy you package with Martin to try and get some team to take Martin's contract off your hands. The risk is in doing that deal before free agency, losing out on Tavares and ending up without a viable third line center. But then if you wait until after the Tavares signing, teams will know they have us over a barrel in terms of cap space and may be unwilling to deal.
What's that about Tierney ? Not even close.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
What's that about Tierney ? Not even close.

We have no use (or room) for Tierney if we can land Tavares and bring back Joe Thornton. His value lies in dealing him to entice a team to take on Paul Martin's contract to clear up cap space for a massive Tavares offer.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Tierney is on the same career path as Tommy Wingels. Everyone wants to believe that he’s a useful player because he had a decent run for half a season. He’ll get paid for the promise he showed during that time, but his advanced stats are poor and he gradually disappeared at the end of the regular season and then completely in the playoffs. Move him now while his value is high.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Tierney is on the same career path as Tommy Wingels. Everyone wants to believe that he’s a useful player because he had a decent run for half a season. He’ll get paid for the promise he showed during that time, but his advanced stats are poor and he gradually disappeared at the end of the regular season and then completely in the playoffs. Move him now while his value is high.

I even like Tierney but now is the time to trade him

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wonder how credible the trade rumors are for Phil Kessel. That would definitely be something for DW to look into.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I wonder how credible the trade rumors are for Phil Kessel. That would definitely be something for DW to look into.

So just stack up on great wingers. No need for centers. Go the opposite route that the past shark teams have been built like lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad