Speculation: Summer 2018 off season roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Previously: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ter-discussion-iii-offseason-edition.2461113/

Sharks pending RFAs:

• Antoine Bibeau resigned 3/13/18
    Dylan DeMelo (arb rights)
    Tomas Hertl (arb rights)
    Radim Simek resigned 4/27/18
    Chris Tierney (arb rights)

Sharks pending UFAs:

• Eric Fehr
    Jannik Hansen
    Evander Kane resigned 5/24/18
    Brandon Mashinter
    Joe Thornton
    Joel Ward

Barracuda pending UFAs:

• Spencer Auschak
    Emerson Clark
    Matt Fonteyne?
    Zach Frye
    David Makowski
    Bryan Moore
    Evan Weinger?
    Stephon Williams

Prospects needing contract this year:

• Mark Shoemaker (sign by 6/1 or goes back to draft)

7 college guys, but none graduating. Two 2017 draftees need bonafide offer by 6/1 to retain their rights.

Sharks also have rights to defected player Danill Tarasov for one more year.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If we miss out on Tavares, should we offer sheet Sam Reinhart ?

I am not saying they are the same, but Sam Reinhart could very well end up as a 1C, he could be a solid consolation prize.

As for Buffalo's matching our offer, that's another story..........

Can't. Sharks don't have their 2019 1st to use.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Can't. Sharks don't have their 2019 1st to use.

That will depend on whether or not they sign Kane. But then Buffalo probably wouldn’t be interested in sending us back our 2nd in order to make that offer sheet and I highly doubt they wouldn’t match anything that wouldn’t cost at least a 1st+2nd.

I would gladly take a buy low on Reinhart, but I don’t think he is our answer at #1C. If we miss out on Tavares, I’m looking at William Karlsson and Tyler Seguin.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
We haven't re-signed Kane yet. So we technically still have our 2019 1st.

Speaking of that, is the conditions of that 2019 1st that we re-sign him before he hits free agency?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Paul Martin should get bought out, that should free up $3.2M in cap space.

We’ve got plenty of cap space, although I think that would only save $2.8M. I’ve also talked with a few fans of different teams who said they would take him on for a 2nd round pick.

The more I look at the available RFAs, the more I feel like we really need that 2nd round pick back from Buffalo. I would offer sheet Mark Stone or William Karlsson at $8.1M/7Y. We’ve got more than enough cap space to go after one of those guys (and even bring back Kane) if we strike out on Tavares.

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
If DW can trade Martin, more power to him! A 2nd rounder would be sweet! Would probably just transfer that pick to Buffalo ;)

Per buyout IIRC $4.85M x 2/3 spread out over 2 years = $1.63M per year cap hit.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If DW can trade Martin, more power to him! A 2nd rounder would be sweet! Would probably just transfer that pick to Buffalo ;)

Per buyout IIRC $4.85M x 2/3 spread out over 2 years = $1.63M per year cap hit.

Just to be clear here, we would have to add the 2nd rounder to Paul Martin and the other team would send us future considerations.

CapFriendly has his buy out as costing just over $2M.

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
Ahhh I checked that link. His actual salary for next year is only $4.25M, but the cap hit is $4.85M.

Captain Serious

Aug 20, 2010
Anyone on Carolina worth trading for? Skinner and Fault are the big names I can see Doug going for if he feels Tavares and Kane won't work out.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Anyone on Carolina worth trading for? Skinner and Fault are the big names I can see Doug going for if he feels Tavares and Kane won't work out.

Noah Hanifin. Two years ago, Carolina offered Hanifin and a draft pick straight up for Couture. I'd wager that Hanifin's stock has only dropped since then.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Hopefully all of those UFA's in the AHL are gone. Only Hertl is re-signed from our RFA's and that Wilson gets rid of Paul Martin via equipment allergies.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Noah Hanifin. Two years ago, Carolina offered Hanifin and a draft pick straight up for Couture. I'd wager that Hanifin's stock has only dropped since then.

Can I see a source on this? I’ve generally known you to be very credible and so I’ll take your word for it if it’s one of your sources, but you speak of it here as if it’s something Bob McKenzie confirmed. And do we know what draft pick that was?

Talking to Carolina fans re: Hanifin, they’re really only interested in a straight up deal for a forward of similar value. Meier, Hertl, and Couture may all fit that bill, but I don’t want to trade any of those players.

I could see Hanifin taking a Seth Jones type stride if he leaves Carolina, but I really think we need somebody on the right side. Really, I think our left side is pretty much fine. Dillon is great on the bottom pair if he’s playing with a good two-way defenseman.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Can I see a source on this? I’ve generally known you to be very credible and so I’ll take your word for it if it’s one of your sources, but you speak of it here as if it’s something Bob McKenzie confirmed. And do we know what draft pick that was?

Talking to Carolina fans re: Hanifin, they’re really only interested in a straight up deal for a forward of similar value. Meier, Hertl, and Couture may all fit that bill, but I don’t want to trade any of those players.

I could see Hanifin taking a Seth Jones type stride if he leaves Carolina, but I really think we need somebody on the right side. Really, I think our left side is pretty much fine. Dillon is great on the bottom pair if he’s playing with a good two-way defenseman.
3 Teams Want to Trade Up for Coyotes 3rd Overall Pick

Maybe he's basing it off this?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Looks like that’s just a baseless rumor from the person who runs the website. Craig Custance only said some teams are looking at the #3OV but never mentioned us.

The only thing I could find about it was a thread about this very link from the Sharks Reddit, and even they thought that it was a joke and a baseless “rumor”, which is pretty embarrassing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hanifin is a really interesting player in that he’s not at all what he was supposed to be. I watched quite a bit of him in the two years before his draft and I really wanted him back then. He was so great defensively both with the NDTP and at Boston College. Sublime skating, great stick, flawless gap control, excellent positioning. He was a zone entry breakup machine. He was no slouch offensively but he also wasn’t a dynamic offensive player like Werenski. I imagined he’d turn out to be a Vlasic with better stretch-passing.

In the NHL, he’s been more like Burns than Vlasic. He put up a nice offensive season last year, potting ten goals despite his weakness going into the draft being his shot. But he was also prone to defensive lapses and giveaways. It’s just bizarre. He’s become the opposite player of what I thought he’d be.

Interesting player for sure, but I don’t think I’d give up the type of value that the Canes would want for him. I’d imagine they’d ask for Hertl or Meier+, and that’s an absolute no-go for me.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

It was something I heard from a "source" (if you want to use that word) back in the 2016 offseason.

I remember it being a second-round-pick, but I'm not sure if that was actually the case or just something theorized.

That is from 2015, though if true, would suggest the Sharks had an interest in Hanifin.

Hanifin is a really interesting player in that he’s not at all what he was supposed to be. I watched quite a bit of him in the two years before his draft and I really wanted him back then. He was so great defensively both with the NDTP and at Boston College. Sublime skating, great stick, flawless gap control, excellent positioning. He was a zone entry breakup machine. He was no slouch offensively but he also wasn’t a dynamic offensive player like Werenski. I imagined he’d turn out to be a Vlasic with better stretch-passing.

In the NHL, he’s been more like Burns than Vlasic. He put up a nice offensive season last year, potting ten goals despite his weakness going into the draft being his shot. But he was also prone to defensive lapses and giveaways. It’s just bizarre. He’s become the opposite player of what I thought he’d be.

Interesting player for sure, but I don’t think I’d give up the type of value that the Canes would want for him. I’d imagine they’d ask for Hertl or Meier+, and that’s an absolute no-go for me.

I agree because trading those players just opens up another hole, and both players are ones you want to keep even while tanking. But Couture is expendable to a team that doesn't want to compete. Not sure why Carolina would make that trade today considering Couture's contract and their own situation.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The chances that Couture to Carolina was anything close to resembling realistic with his three team trade list are probably next to zero if it isn't zero.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm on the fence about Kane. I do think he's a volume shooter, but he did play well before he got hurt. His injury history really worries me. I just don't think committing what it would probably take to get him (I'm thinking 6 x 6M) is a wise move. Sure, if they miss out on Tavares, they'd have a bunch of cap space. And they already have Kane's rights, so they might as well look into re-signing him. But I'm not sure if it's the right move considering the contract he'll probably demand to go with his injury history.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Main thing for me is that I think we can use Kane on a 2-3 year deal. After that, I'm not sure if we need him long term.

If Kane wanted to sign a 3 year, 21 million dollar deal then I'd seriously consider it but I don't see a good reason for him to accept that. The thing is that I'm more interested in addressing bigger long-term issues with the team than upgrading a spot that we have a decent amount of talent already on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad