Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Great start to the season with a big win - and with a depleted defence.

Delic - gotta think he's on the short-list for most underrated players in the league. Know what you're gonna get every night.

Really liked Anania & Chromiak top pairing tonight. Looks like Anania is part of the leadership group this year. Chromiak looks trimmer, faster, and all of a sudden wants to instigate with everybody. Looks like a completely different player to me this year.

Villeneuve is going to be one of our top players this year.

Power play really struggled. I'm confused because back when I watched the first preseason game vs PBO we were using a different power play set up with a player in the middle playing the bumper and facilitating passes. I thought it was looking really good & I haven't seen it again since. Tonight looked like same old power play of last season.

Reactions: CTrain10

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
Great game...good crowd...gotta admit I was very concerned with how easy that first Brantford goal was

• Haha
Reactions: cub

NickelCity

Aug 30, 2023
Small sample size to judge Vondras' game tonight, but I thought he made a couple pretty high risk decisions playing the puck right out in front of the net

Pucks Deep

Apr 4, 2020
Decent win for game 1. Would love that 1st goal to be a stop for our goalie 🫣. But good after that. Delic, Goyette great as usual.
Anania was good I thought on the back end. But our other overagers playing 4th line minutes is embarrassing. Time to upgrade. As much as I want to see Mccallum succeed, he is just a bonehead. And Larmand just isn’t quite good enough. If Wolves are “going for it” we need to make a couple more moves. Just my opinion after game 1

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Can't believe Larmand is wearing an "A" for this team. Season opener once again demonstrated, Delic is the engine of this team.

PP is lost without Mania and Musty as well. Good result but a lot of things to work on.

Really happy with the trade neither Pryce nor Chitaroni can defend at an OHL level, need to get them out of the lineup.

Thought Coughlan played really well too, definitely the bright spot compared to the undisplined play of McCallum, Yearwood and Larmand.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
As a side note about Djibril Toure, I found an article showing that Belleville currently has 10 Dmen currently signed and on there roster, so is still think that it’s a long shot but in theory, DT could still get sent back to Sudbury.

I wouldn’t say that he dominated here last here, and imo I think that he could absolutely benefit from being in Sudbury this year, if that were to happen, just some of my scattered thoughts! :)

Article is right here:

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Be interesting to see who would move if DT does come back. Surely has to be one of Larmand or McCallum

An upgrade on the OA forwards would be great. McCallum can go anytime since it’s pretty much a certainty that he will take penalties at the worst possIble time, not a top six forward and sets a poor example for the rest of the team. Good on the coach for sitting him a few shifts.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Can't believe Larmand is wearing an "A" for this team. Season opener once again demonstrated, Delic is the engine of this team.

PP is lost without Mania and Musty as well. Good result but a lot of things to work on.

Really happy with the trade neither Pryce nor Chitaroni can defend at an OHL level, need to get them out of the lineup.

Thought Coughlan played really well too, definitely the bright spot compared to the undisplined play of McCallum, Yearwood and Larmand.
Not sure I thought Pryce played a pretty good game. Not sure why the expectations are so high on him. But for the most part when others come back you know he will be a depth piece or bottom pairing guy. Which won’t hurt us. I think it would be fair to give him some slack. As for Chitaroni he won’t be here when the full roster is back but he too can just be a guy hanging with the Cubs or Espo to call up in the event of an injury or suspension.

Nice to get a solid 19 year old from Windsor. If we can get Toure back then Larmand can go first. We need overage players to be more impactful. I think McCallum still holds value in this line up. But he plays on that line and needs to pick his spots better. But I really do like guys that are pests. Pilons were no different.

WJ

Pucks Deep

Apr 4, 2020
Not sure I thought Pryce played a pretty good game. Not sure why the expectations are so high on him. But for the most part when others come back you know he will be a depth piece or bottom pairing guy. Which won’t hurt us. I think it would be fair to give him some slack. As for Chitaroni he won’t be here when the full roster is back but he too can just be a guy hanging with the Cubs or Espo to call up in the event of an injury or suspension.

Nice to get a solid 19 year old from Windsor. If we can get Toure back then Larmand can go first. We need overage players to be more impactful. I think McCallum still holds value in this line up. But he plays on that line and needs to pick his spots better. But I really do like guys that are pests. Pilons were no different.

WJ
Well put WJ. Great points. Excited to see where this year goes

cub

Apr 11, 2012
not sure how Pryce and Chitaroni gets the criticism on here after watching 1 season game. Pryce a Goal, and Chitaroni with 2 assist. They did not look out of place to me, team limited 13 shots, so Defence have big part of this. These are two older guys that have experience at this level of hockey and added depth. I say let's see them in a number of games before we are quick to judge.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
As a side note about Djibril Toure, I found an article showing that Belleville currently has 10 Dmen currently signed and on there roster, so is still think that it’s a long shot but in theory, DT could still get sent back to Sudbury.

I wouldn’t say that he dominated here last here, and imo I think that he could absolutely benefit from being in Sudbury this year, if that were to happen, just some of my scattered thoughts! :)

Article is right here:
Seems like I might have been right about Toure No way I move him if he comes back.

;)
not sure how Pryce and Chitaroni gets the criticism on here after watching 1 season game. Pryce a Goal, and Chitaroni with 2 assist. They did not look out of place to me, team limited 13 shots, so Defence have big part of this. These are two older guys that have experience at this level of hockey and added depth. I say let's see them in a number of games before we are quick to judge.
I was thinking the same here regarding Pryce. Like I was watching a different game.

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
Really happy that Goyette got the C. The kid plays hard all the time and his linemates look like superstars and its been like that for three years. He does all the little details right. His zone exits were super fast all night. I hope Delic and Konyen can play the same way on the second line when we get support to play with Musty and Goyette on the first line. The team will be electric !!

McCallum plays like he knows he’s leaving very soon. I Hope Martin joims the team soon as an OA. Melee would be such a great addition too can play up and down the line up and was very good on the PK last playoffs.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Seems like I might have been right about Toure No way I move him if he comes back.

;)

I was thinking the same here regarding Pryce. Like I was watching a different game.
Pryce was the best D on the ice for the Wolves and should have got a star

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Really happy that Goyette got the C. The kid plays hard all the time and his linemates look like superstars and its been like that for three years. He does all the little details right. His zone exits were super fast all night. I hope Delic and Konyen can play the same way on the second line when we get support to play with Musty and Goyette on the first line. The team will be electric !!

McCallum plays like he knows he’s leaving very soon. I Hope Martin joims the team soon as an OA. Melee would be such a great addition too can play up and down the line up and was very good on the PK last playoffs.
I don't see konyen finishing the year as a wolf, if paps makes the right/proper additions.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Prob has the most value for a trade option. I think that would be a smart play if Paps can find the right fit for the team
Disagree: One of the best players on the ice Friday night. Konyen May lack the flash and dash of his line mates but the kid is tuff/fearless and cerebral. What 19 year old is better as a replacement and at what cost? IMO he is a keeper and focus for improvement must be elsewhere….

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Goyette, Delic, & Konyen are fine together I think. I’d rather see a winger for Villeneuve & Musty to give the wolves two real scoring lines and get Villeneuve drafted to the NHL in the first round.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Goyette, Delic, & Konyen are fine together I think. I’d rather see a winger for Villeneuve & Musty to give the wolves two real scoring lines and get Villeneuve drafted to the NHL in the first round.
Does Pharand work on that Villy/Musty line if the Wolves tell him he needs to be the Zach Hyman workhorse type.

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Konyen had a strong game on Friday. In my opinion he is good when he plays with Delic & Goyette, but on any other line I find him invisible and a passenger.

I think he has good hockey sense and natural goal scoring ability but struggles lower in the lineup because he lacks speed & strength.

If we bring in some better players via trade, I agree, I'm not sure I see a place for him on the team later in the season.

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
Villy will NOT play with Musty lol he’s shown nothing offensively to earn that promotion. He will play 3rd line or 4th line minutes depending who comes in in the near future.

Reactions: armchaircoaches
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad