Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not to mention that Pickard has only started 11 games. Skinner has started almost 4 times that amount (41 games) but apparently that doesnt matter to some posters.
It should matter because Pickard has been progressively playing worse with each game showing why he is a NHL/AHL tweener.
I think that Skinners max is between 45-50 games in a season. he is approaching that now. Thats why I think the team needs a strong tandem goalie. Pickard isnt that goalie.
As a matter of fact Pickard isnt the answer to any question thats worth answering.
Yes, good logical post, after several incoherent ones on here, thankyou!

Reactions: guymez

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not to mention that Pickard has only started 11 games.
Skinner has started almost 4 times that amount (41 games) but apparently that doesnt matter to some posters.
It should matter because a goalies numbers typically go down with more games played. Pickard has been progressively playing worse with each game showing why he is a NHL/AHL tweener.
I think that Skinners max is between 45-50 games (45 games would be ideal) in a season. He is approaching that now. Thats why I think the team needs a strong tandem goalie. Pickard isnt that goalie.
As a matter of fact Pickard isnt the answer to any question thats worth answering.

The real reason why this team has a goaltending issue is the GM. He created the scenario whereby Skinner is forced to become a starter (and play 50+ games) when he clearly isnt ready for that role yet.
If Pickard let in 26 GA his last 6 games played what would happen to him?

Pickard is a better option then Skinner right now

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If Pickard let in 26 GA his last 6 games played what would happen to him?

Pickard is a better option then Skinner right now
If you are suggesting that Skinner needs some rest then I agree.

Aside from that (a few starts before March 8th) if Pickard is still here when the trade deadline has passed then this team isnt doing much of anything in the playoffs.
Unless of course they play the tight defensive game they were playing on the win streak.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
If you are suggesting that Skinner needs some rest then I agree.
Hes only played 7 games in the last 29 days, not sure how much rest is going to do.

But yeah he should lose the net for a while after that stretch, its as bad as you will ever see from a goalie.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hes only played 7 games in the last 29 days, not sure how much rest is going to do.

But yeah he should lose the net for a while after that stretch, its as bad as you will ever see from a goalie.
Yeah...the team in front of him has been hot garbage defensively. Why are you not highlighting that?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Yeah...the team in front of him has been hot garbage defensively. Why are you not highlighting that?
Pickard hasnt let more then 3 GA since the all star break and has as many of wins in less half the games.

So one goalie isnt struggling as bad as the other.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pickard hasnt let more then 3 GA since the all star break and has as many of wins in less half the games.

So one goalie isnt struggling as bad as the other.
That's a debateable take but it doesnt answer my question.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Any long range one on one shot chance goes in 70 perecent of the time on this guy the other 30 percent is when they miss the net.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When they know they need 5 or 6 or 7 even to win they know they have to open it up. Its just a fact.
Nonsense.
A team doesnt play bad defence because they think they need to score a lot of goals.
Playing bad defence is a choice.

Sometimes a choice born out of a lack of energy or out of bad habits and a lack of commitment.

Last nights game looked like a lack of commitment right from the begining of the game to me. Just look at the Flames first couple of goals and McDavids poor back checking effort.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Package Skinner for Saros. If people are unhappy with Pickard. Trade him and a pick for 50% Nedeljokovic

Roll with Saros, Campbell and Nedeljokic

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
So is the teams plan to get the fans to hate Skinner and start booing him and calling him out when they see him or his family out in public? At that point then trade him for a 4th or a 5th round pick?

Why can't they not throw him under the bus like this and get him some f***ing help?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nonsense.
A team doesnt play bad defence because they think they need to score a lot of goals.
Playing bad defence is a choice.

Sometimes a choice born out of a lack of energy or out of bad habits and a lack of commitment.

Last nights game looked like a lack of commitment right from the begining of the game to me. Just look at the Flames first couple of goals and McDavids poor back checking effort.

Every team in the league has a game or two like last night every 10-15 games. Do you think all these other teams never allow chances against?

Do you want to guess which team in the NHL (all situations) is no.1 in the league right now for fewest high danger chances against?

It's (gasp) the Oilers.

Our goaltenders having the mediocre numbers given that fact is an embarrassment. Plain and simple. Skinner is a large downgrade from a 40 year old Mike Smith who was basically playing his final year here injured all year long.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
When Skinner is giving up 3 in the first 20 mins on 7 shots they have to score 5 to 7
When the team allows guys free passes to good shooting positions because they are thinking points and fast breakouts those 3 goals will happen.
It isn't rocket science that Skinner isn't playing lights out so stop those high percentage chances.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
When the team allows guys free passes to good shooting positions because they are thinking points and fast breakouts those 3 goals will happen.
It isn't rocket science that Skinner isn't playing lights out so stop those high percentage chances.
Never Skinners fault I forgot sorry.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Every team has nights like that. That was their 3rd game in 4 nights and a bunch of players were likely playing with the flu. This is a high scoring era we are in for people who didn't get the memo.

And still the Oilers had more high danger chances for than the Flames did.

Make a goddamn save.

.901 save percentage on a team that is among the best in the NHL for limiting high danger chances against is a complete embarrassment.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Every team has nights like that. That was their 3rd game in 4 nights and a bunch of players were likely playing with the flu.

And still the Oilers had more high danger chances for than the Flames did.

Make a goddamn save.

.901 save percentage on a team that is among the best in the NHL for limiting high danger chances against is a complete embarrassment.
Sure haven't been limiting those lately

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad