Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Wow, you mean playing well defensively is conducive to good goaltending?

Who would've guessed?

But this team will never be good defensively. They can't draft a goalie because their drafting sucks and nobody's going to give them a good goalie.
Cant be the goalies fault at all. Nope no way.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
My confidence in our goaltending is so broken and shaken that when we shoot on an opposing goalie (doesn’t matter who it is) I expect the puck to be saved. But when the other team shoots on us, I expect that puck to go in…….every single time.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He could be better.

So could the rest of the team.

Solely putting every loss on goaltending is absolving the rest of the team for poor play.
I’m not absolving the rest of the team but he’s been bad. How many goals have been medium to long range wristers?

He is ranked 70th in GSAE… 2 spots ahead of terrible Campbell. “He could be better.” He could be a lot better.

Reactions: Drivesaitl and TB12

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I’m not absolving the rest of the team but he’s been bad. How many goals have been medium to long range wristers?

He is ranked 70th in GSAE… 2 spots ahead of terrible Campbell. “He could be better.” He could be a lot better.
I think back to that Hawks series and how they consistently threw long range floaters at us and scored frequently. The Oilers don't clear the front of the net and other teams know it.

Other teams game plan for how to beat the Oilers. The Oilers strategy to win is "Hope McDavid puts up multiple points"

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think the "book" on Skinner is go stick side up top. The opposition has used it to great advantage particularly on the screen.

Some goalies "see thru" the screen better than others and I don't think that's Stu's strength.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think back to that Hawks series and how they consistently threw long range floaters at us and scored frequently. The Oilers don't clear the front of the net and other teams know it.

Other teams game plan for how to beat the Oilers. The Oilers strategy to win is "Hope McDavid puts up multiple points"
I’m struggling to see your argument here. None of this has anything to do with Skinner getting beat by wristers all over the ice and statistically not saving what he’s supposed to.

Last edited:

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think the "book" on Skinner is go stick side up top. The opposition has used it to great advantage particularly on the screen.
I think the book is "shoot high".
He's not great stick side or glove side.
His east-west is typically bad, and when it's not it's because he is cheating.
His rebounds typically go right to the slot.

The team was good at hiding his defiencies during the streak, but now the defense looks lost and the goalies and defenses failure compound FAST

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I’m struggling to see your argument here. None of this has anything to do with Skinner getting beat by wristers all over the ice and statistically not saving what he’s supposed to.
I'm saying that while Skinner could be better the team in front of him could be better too at both ends of the ice. Seems like we give up an awful lot of odd man rushes.

This team is capable of blowing any team of the water and you're telling me they got beaten at home by the mediocre Wild and Flames?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'm saying that while Skinner could be better the team in front of him could be better too at both ends of the ice. Seems like we give up an awful lot of odd man rushes.

This team is capable of blowing any team of the water and you're telling me they got beaten at home by the mediocre Wild and Flames?
If Skinner was just letting in a bunch of odd man rushes I would agree with you but that’s not the case. Don’t we have one of the lowest high danger chances against in the league?

Yeah you usually lose if your goalie lets in 5. Did we have the better goalie in net in either of those games?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Skinner was just letting in a bunch of odd man rushes I would agree with you but that’s not the case. Don’t we have one of the lowest high danger chances against in the league?

Yeah you usually lose if your goalie lets in 5. Did we have the better goalie in net in either of those games?
No but did they deserve to beat the Flames? Not really.

I'm not even sure they deserved to win against the Wild. Lots of muffins in the third that any goalie can save. (Yes even Skinner)

I'm tired of this team slowly easing their way into games instead of imposing their will. You go up 3-0 in the first and neither the Flames or the Wild are coming back.

I'm not kidding when I say the Oilers could be the best team in the league if they wanted to be. But they choose to fall back into poor habits at both ends of the ice. Forcing passes, bad pinches, leaving players open in dangerous shooting areas...

I'm not absolving the goaltending, but this team has far more than enough firepower to only score a few against mediocre teams like the two we just played. They play like that in the playoffs and you might as well set the tee times.

Even during the win streak they'd get outplayed for looooooong stretches of hockey but they'd still win and now that's become the standard of play. Unless they course correct on that front they aren't going anywhere.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'll just leave this here:

Team(All Goalies):
GP Min GA xGA GSAx GAA xGAA
13 776.35 50.18 39.61 -10.57 3.88 3.06 Just The Jay Woodcroft Era(3-9-1)
18 1073.82 67.5 56.31 -11.2 3.77 3.14 Start to Nov 23rd(5-12-1)
27 1621.88 50.52 72.53 +22.01 1.87 2.68 Nov 23rd to All-Star Break(24-3)
10 596.31 36.91 29.9 -7.01 3.71 3.01 All-Star Break to Feb 24th(4-5-1)

(Just)Skinner:
9 509.57 30.41 22.84 -7.57 3.58 2.69 Just The Jay Woodcroft Era
13 705.12 43.06 35.06 -8.00 3.66 2.98 Start to Nov 23rd
21 1262.08 37.47 57.41 +19.94 1.78 2.72 Nov 23rd to All-Star Break
7 417.58 28.16 22.83 -5.33 4.05 3.28 All-Star Break to Feb 24th

Imagine that.

When you're goalies let's in about 1 less goal per game than they should, statistically, you go on a 24-3 run & when they let in about 1 more goal per game than they should, statistically, the team sucks.

Who'da thunk it?

Also our xGA for the last 10 games is almost as bad as the first 13 games under Woodcroft(3.06 to 3.01), who we absolutely needed to fire, so we should probably be thinking about firing this coaching staff too.

You'd almost be forced to consider it might be the players but that makes way too much sense.

Sorry it's harder to read than it showed when I typed it & I don't know how to fix it but the numbers are correct.

Last edited:

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
I think people here continue to be a little to hard on Skinner. He has played 100 games in the league and was suppose to ease his way into the starter role. Instead he has been thrown into the deepest end of the pool.

I agree that it is unsettling that we have no idea what playoff Skinner will bring. But he was thrown to the wolves in this starter position

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think people here continue to be a little to hard on Skinner. He has played 100 games in the league and was suppose to ease his way into the starter role. Instead he has been thrown into the deepest end of the pool.

I agree that it is unsettling that we have no idea what playoff Skinner will bring. But he was thrown to the wolves in this starter position
I mean exactly. It’s insane to put the most important playoff run in the McDrai era completely in the hands of a goalie who has 100 games and then have his backup be a goalie who was in the AHL for the past 6 seasons.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I mean exactly. It’s insane to put the most important playoff run in the McDrai era completely in the hands of a goalie who has 100 games and then have his backup be a goalie who was in the AHL for the past 6 seasons.
Funny thing is, not a whole lot of blame right now going to the architect of this mess. Skinner will be the first to tell you he needs to play better. A lot better. Meanwhile, the guy who is supposed to be here carrying the load is down in Bakersfield struggling with his mental problems. Problems that were there before we traded for him. And Holland continues to fiddle while watching his team burn.

Reactions: ConnorNova0929

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think the book is "shoot high".
He's not great stick side or glove side.
His east-west is typically bad, and when it's not it's because he is cheating.
His rebounds typically go right to the slot.

The team was good at hiding his defiencies during the streak, but now the defense looks lost and the goalies and defenses failure compound FAST
The two facets are very interconnected. Teams with great goaltending and shoddy defence will eventually get figured out and the damn will eventually break.

Always some one else’s fault, never Skinners

It laughable at this point
Yup, we're a juggernaut, you got it.:laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

bs Skinner is a goalie that lobbies for games and asks for them. This was established in playoffs. Skinner got all 12 starts and when asked wanted them all. Despite being pulled 4X. This was stated by Woody and Schwartz. That Skinner was asking for the starts. ALL the starts. Despite what was best for the club.

The goalie claims to be supportive of other goalies but I'm not seeing that.

This is a goalie that claims starts as his own so much that he Had Heritage Classic pads made up in the offseason just assuming the org gives him those Calgary games this season, and the team has obliged with all 3 Calgary games and counting.

I'll just leave this here:

Team(All Goalies):
GP Min GA xGA GSAx GAA xGAA
13 776.35 50.18 39.61 -10.57 3.88 3.06 Just The Jay Woodcroft Era(3-9-1)
18 1073.82 67.5 56.31 -11.2 3.77 3.14 Start to Nov 23rd(5-12-1)
27 1621.88 50.52 72.53 +22.01 1.87 2.68 Nov 23rd to All-Star Break(24-3)
10 596.31 36.91 29.9 -7.01 3.71 3.01 All-Star Break to Feb 24th(4-5-1)

(Just)Skinner:
9 509.57 30.41 22.84 -7.57 3.58 2.69 Just The Jay Woodcroft Era
13 705.12 43.06 35.06 -8.00 3.66 2.98 Start to Nov 23rd
21 1262.08 37.47 57.41 +19.94 1.78 2.72 Nov 23rd to All-Star Break
7 417.58 28.16 22.83 -5.33 4.05 3.28 All-Star Break to Feb 24th

Imagine that.

When you're goalies let's in about 1 less goal per game than they should, statistically, you go on a 24-3 run & when they let in about 1 more goal per game than they should, statistically, the team sucks.

Who'da thunk it?

Also our xGA for the last 10 games is almost as bad as the first 13 games under Woodcroft(3.06 to 3.01), who we absolutely needed to fire, so we should probably be thinking about firing this coaching staff too.

You'd almost be forced to consider it might be the players but that makes way too much sense.

Sorry it's harder to read than it showed when I typed it & I don't know how to fix it but the numbers are correct.
Imagine what. nobody is going to be able to decipher that gibberish.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Funny thing is, not a whole lot of blame right now going to the architect of this mess. Skinner will be the first to tell you he needs to play better. A lot better. Meanwhile, the guy who is supposed to be here carrying the load is down in Bakersfield struggling with his mental problems. Problems that were there before we traded for him. And Holland continues to fiddle while watching his team burn.
Yup, Holland made the teams bed. He has consistently failed to bring in a goalie good enough to win the Stanley Cup. Skinner should be backing up Campbell but Campbell has fumbled the ball too many times.

Whoever decided that Campbell was good enough should be fired.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Poor Skinner the team isn’t playing good so that’s why he isn’t
Did he bang your mom or something? Not sign an autograph for you?
Seriously, your constant comments about the player suggest something personal for you. Jeezus.

Reactions: Oil53

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
UH oh Hellenbuck just let 3 in in 16 shots......

Called Back 2 in 16 shots

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
bs Skinner is a goalie that lobbies for games and asks for them. This was established in playoffs. Skinner got all 12 starts and when asked wanted them all. Despite being pulled 4X. This was stated by Woody and Schwartz. That Skinner was asking for the starts. ALL the starts. Despite what was best for the club.

The goalie claims to be supportive of other goalies but I'm not seeing that.

This is a goalie that claims starts as his own so much that he Had Heritage Classic pads made up in the offseason just assuming the org gives him those Calgary games this season, and the team has obliged with all 3 Calgary games and counting.

Imagine what. nobody is going to be able to decipher that gibberish.
If any goalie (or player) doesn't want to start every game, I don't want him on my team. Whether he plays or not is not his decision or his fault. That is up to the organization/coach. You can fault him for his play at times, but faulting him for wanting to play is rubbish and reaching. No idea where you are getting the information that he doesn't support other goalies. Or is that just something made up to fit your narrative. Your criticisms were logical and valid before, now it seems your pulling info from who knows where. Do you have links or anything that says he never supports other goalies? Gawd, and before he was throwing his hair back like he was "trying to be like Mike Smith".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad