Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Wanted to throw this out there.

While Skinner was very average for many playoff starts this spring, now is not the time to panic and give up on him or throw him away.

He's a Calder finalist, and was good enough to win the starters crease and saved our regular season from being a total disaster with Campbell.

Further more, we've seen Skinner's game, and mental game grow stronger season by s season and there's no reason to believe that this trend will not continue. The team may need a better insurance policy behind Skinner, but Skinner himself will keep improving and in the long run the Oilers will be a better team for keeping him as a 1 or 1a rather than tossing him aside as a knee jerk reaction. Especially with the team friendly contact he's on.

That's my two cents

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He's like 35 other goalies in this league, all totally replaceable. Big guy take up space, no athleticism on display that is it.

They way goaltending has been taught and developed in this league has been a total crime and now that many players have figured out the style there are way more chances to let in bad looking goals.

Never come out to cut down the angle.

Go down on your knees the moment the puck comes across the blue line and stay on your knees.

I would have no issue if we had two new goalies next year. I'm sure we will have the same tandem though. The team still loves Skinner, you can't get rid of Campbell

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
He's like 35 other goalies in this league, all totally replaceable. Big guy take up space, no athleticism on display that is it.

They way goaltending has been taught and developed in this league has been a total crime and now that many players have figured out the style there are way more chances to let in bad looking goals.

Never come out to cut down the angle.

Go down on your knees the moment the puck comes across the blue line and stay on your knees.

I would have no issue if we had two new goalies next year. I'm sure we will have the same tandem though. The team still loves Skinner, you can't get rid of Campbell

These are all things that I think Skinner will figure out and be stronger for it.

Remember when he had his first start against Ottawa a couple seasons ago and got lit up I the third period of that game??

He took it as a wake up call as to how much his game would have to improve to step into the NHL. Given Skinner's mental make-up, I have full confidence that Skinner will look at what aspects of his current game failed him these playoffs, and comeback as a stronger positional goalie, and when it's ok to abandon the system a bit to make the bigger saves he will have to make in pressure cooker situations.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not a goaltending guru by any means, but my own observations are these are some things he needs to work on

- his decision making with the puck and his puck work need some maturing and refining. Crazy to say that about a goalie, but in reality, in this day and age, goalies need to not only stop the puck but make crisp smart decisions in a millisecond and handle the puck competently.

- his lateral movement is not very good at this point. Too slow coming across, and not nearly aggressive enough. Kelly Hrudey pointed this out last night, showing how Hill attached the puck with his stick when a guy tried to come in front with it, and for the most part was very successful.

- he still has difficulty tracking the puck at times, especially when it's down around his feet. I think that's why both LA and Vegas went after getting pucks low to the net and then crashing it.

- guessed wrong on numerous occasions. I don't think I've ever seen as many empty nets and relatively easy goals as I did this year. It just seemed like LA and Vegas had some really easy goals, and ours had to be incredible effort or near perfect shots. I think maturity and experience should take care of a lot of this.

Lastly, I blame Campbell for most of Skinner issues these playoffs. If he comes in and performs as they expected him to, and worthy of a fat contract, then Skinner is the one who does a bit of mopup, and is never put in the pressure situation of being the starter every playoff game in his first full year.

Reactions: Oilers

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If this team trades Skinner and keeps Campbell then thats confirmation that they have no idea what they are doing.

Skinner as a rookie did a remarkable job considering what was hoisted onto him.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thought I'd bump this thread because Skinner has been playing very well. Yeah his technique leaves something to be desired but he could wear a tutu and I could care less as long as the puck stays out of the net. His stats over the win streak have been very, very good as we continue to engage in tight games.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I said it before and will repeat: I think we have our starter goalie. Now we need to avoid wearing him down before the playoffs and see if we have a capable backup in one of those young guys.
Skinner is improving but I dont think he is where he needs to be (as a legit starter) just yet.
I am concerned about him being over worked.
A 1A/1B combo is what I would like to see.
A tandem that allows the team to run with either goalie... even for an extended period of time if necessary but allows for a very reliable goalie to come in when one falters.
I am in the group of posters that didnt give up on Skinner.
I see him as being a legit starter in due time. He just needs a reliable Vet goalie to help that process along.
Campbell was a complete failure in that role...he actually undermined Skinners development IMO.
His signing was a massive kick in the junk for this team and a significant portion of his contract (at the very least) has to go away.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I don’t see potential, slowest goalie in league, worst rebound control I have ever seen. It make the game an adventure and if our defense aren’t playing an almost perfect game he’s letting in goals. They bail him out way too often. He should be bailing them out.

Playoffs he will get lit up like a Christmas tree again due to rebound control

Reactions: GrumpyKoala

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I don’t see potential, slowest goalie in league, worst rebound control I have ever seen. It make the game an adventure and if our defense aren’t playing an almost perfect game he’s letting in goals. They bail him out way too often. He should be bailing them out.

Seams like you just don’t like the player and hold his faults against him instead of looking at the bigger picture. He’s giving the Oilers good enough goaltending to win games, and goalies tend to hit their prime in their late 20s at the earliest except for some exceptions.

Looking at his work since Campbell was sent down he’s been reliable and shows potential to be a decent starter in time.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Were you drunk or high? Or both?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad