Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Funny how nobody is talking about the Oilers being a defensive powerhouse. Almost as if they’re not.

Yeah terrible goaltending have a tendency to expose a defense too.

Every error get magnified when the puck goes in the back of the net.

Our defense is way over league avreage and our goaltending is not.

I understand the urge to disagree with statistical evidences. I still cherish my Pat Fallon limited pro set recrue foil, and I swear one day it will amount to a huge payload of Benjamin's.

Reactions: frag2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah terrible goaltending have a tendency to expose a defense too.

Every error get magnified when the puck goes in the back of the net.

Our defense is way over league avreage and our goaltending is not.

I understand the urge to disagree with statistical evidences. I still cherish my Pat Fallon limited pro set recrue foil, and I swear one day it will amount to a huge payload of Benjamin's.
Then I guess it’s some other crazy reason that Ceci has sucked his entire career.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I didn’t read through the entire thread. I know earlier i the year, there were rumours about him being fat. I wasn’t sure if it was a joke or legit. But were there actual rumours about him being out of shape? I only ask because his athleticism and lateral mobility seem pretty bad. I don’t remember it being as bad last year.

I also think it’s troubling if Skinner is feeling tired. Oilers schedule has been so lax.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Then I guess it’s some other crazy reason that Ceci has sucked his entire career.

He not the best and definitely on the back side, but he was well loved In Pittsburgh. The jury is very up and down on him.

Definitely disagree with the "has sucked his entire career" statement.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ceci sucks so much that his +/- is 10 and his partner Nurse is 5.
He not the best and definitely on the back side, but he was well loved In Pittsburgh. The jury is very up and down on him.

Definitely disagree with the "has sucked his entire career" statement.
The Nurse/Ceci pairing was a combined -13 against Vegas.

They're not a good pairing.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
The Nurse/Ceci pairing was a combined -13 against Vegas.

They're not a good pairing.

So we went from Skinner is not very good to:
It's because of Ceci to:
Because of Ceci when paired with nurse to:
When they play again Vegas.

How tiny the point of data need to be so It fit the narrative?

Reactions: LTIR

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Funny how nobody is talking about the Oilers being a defensive powerhouse. Almost as if they’re not.

The power of narrative can be quite strong in sports. Not saying we are world beaters but "Oilers suck at D" has been the default position for 15+ years around the league and it is hard to shake.

It took a long time before people were even willing to admit the Oiler were an okay team after years in the cellar. Hell, we went to the Western Conference Final and people were still talking about how terrible we were.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So we went from Skinner is not very good to:
It's because of Ceci to:
Because of Ceci when paired with nurse to:
When they play again Vegas.

How tiny the point of data need to be so It fit the narrative?
+/ is a very flawed stat. But I suppose in this case it somehow indicates that Ceci > Nurse. Is that correct?

This is the same defense that couldn’t get it done last year and right now they’re struggling just as the goaltending is.

Let me put it to you another way. Do you think the defense is good enough to win the Cup?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I think the guy you quoted doesn't really know what a good defenseman looks like.
In 2022 the Flames top line had the best +/- in the league.

McDavid and Draisatl ventilated that line, including in the series winning goal.

It’s a stat that can show you whatever you want it to. It’s hardly definitive.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Yea I don't think the guy ranking 6th in +/- in the whole team being the main problematic to fix
An upgrade on Ceci is probably the most impactful move the organization can make. I cannot fathom watching the Oilers and coming to the conclusion that Ceci isn't a huge part of the problem. I knew reading this and other threads on the board that a lot of people don't know what they're watching but this beggars belief.

I also LOL'd a few pages back reading that Skinner was the reason Campbell didn't rebound! If only Skinner, a professional athlete, didn't want to start and instead let his good friend take his job, then Campbell would be brick-walling us to the Cup! Something in the water, indeed.

PS Fatboi Stu had a great game last night. :)

Reactions: Stoneman89

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If any upgrade on D needs to be made, it is definitely Ceci. I like him as a person and think he's a really good teammate, but anything other than bottom pairing minutes is too big of an ask from him.

Reactions: mcdingdong

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Skinner has more clownshow goals than any goalie I remember here in recent memory. Conklin comes to mind.

What kind of doofus does this in the NHL several times?

This is basically Skinner in a nutshell. This is the worst single play by an NHL goalie I've ever seen. But Skinner has done this multiple times and only once (playoffs) was due to a broken stikc.

not only does Skinner make the worst goalie play, he stumbles after, then falls on his ass and shits on the ice.

Then the Camera pans to the Oilers bench and Nuge asking what that was and Derek Ryan raising eyebrows, then closing eyes like its the worst goal he's seen in his pro career.

That Skinner is so casual in front of his net playing the puck is incredible. That he's a pro goalie and doesn't even practice this regularly worse. That even if he had put the puck where he wants he's not putting it to a good space. At best just a suicide hot pass to Bouchard who would get mauled.

Nor was this intense pressure. The dump was made with Devils at Center ice. Skinner so slow ass getting to puck and deciding what to do the pressure arrived by the time his neurons fired.

This play was when I first started questioning this guy. So bad. Debrusk almost manages to be worse in his play call.

FF to last night and two mins into third period Skinner is behind his net and not even aware the first incoming player is a Bruin. Who swoops right in on Skinner. he never even saw it. He just assumed in his brain that it would be an Oilers D arriving first. He didn't even look. This guy is so lacksadiasical and dangerous with the puck.

Anybody remember the goof star play he made earlier this year where he comes out 50ft to try to reach a puck and loses by 10ft resulting in an easy GA? Skinners postgame assessment that it was "a 50/50 so I went for it". Thats his dimbulb thought process. .

Another game this season Skinner is trying to skate pregame. does a couple pushes across pretending to do it, falls on his ass, does a tumble into opponent zone, they all look at him remembering who this clown is and pump 4 goals by him quickly in first period. lol Skinner was a joke in the game before it even started.

Good memory but short?

Smith let n a goal during the playoffs from the opponent's blue line if I remember correctly. Has to be top 3 worst goals against ever. I am not sure if your example cracks the top 10. And he lets in toooons of bad goals from his wandering out of the net. Just a guess of 10 goals a year from adventuring out of the crease.

Talbot let in something like the first goal on the first shot in 4? consecutive games. Do not fact check me, apologies if wrong, but I think he had a record for most first goal first shots allowed. Talbot couldn't stop a beach ball in half the games he was an Oiler. Joking, but it sure felt that way.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
SKINNER Last 2 games --> 0.950 vs LA 0.941 vs StL
Comments - 1

Prior 2 starts --> 4 pages of hate.

Reminds me of when my wife and I get into it and the old "you never....." or "you always...." shit comes out and I have to remind her to stop with the absolutes and that a single negative is powerful enough to completely negate a hundred positives.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
SKINNER Last 2 games --> 0.950 vs LA 0.941 vs StL
Comments - 1

Prior 2 starts --> 4 pages of hate.
At least Skinner has a thread.

Want further proof that the most overlooked contribution on the team, the most scapegoated player, is Draisaitl. He doesn't even have a thread, hasn't had a thread for ages and I can't even remember the last appreciation thread. Nowhere else would this be the case. Half a dozen players have dedicated threads on front page. Not Leon, rarely Leon.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Want further proof that the most overlooked contribution on the team, the most scapegoated player, is Draisaitl. He doesn't even have a thread, hasn't had a thread for ages and I can't even remember the last appreciation thread. Nowhere else would this be the case. Half a dozen players have dedicated threads on front page. Not Leon, rarely Leon.
I don't think you would enjoy reading majority of the posts in the said Drai thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
As someone who's seen a lot of people butt heads on here about Skinner, I suppose it's time for me to voice my current opinion. I can't figure Skinner out. I don't hate him nor do I love him. I'm neutral on him. To me he's a goalie that plays for the Edmonton Oilers and that's about it. He's very streaky but still young.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

1709405171854.png

• Haha
Reactions: guymez and harpoon

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Shore up the D, and goalie. We will get beat in the playoffs, unless we get better.

Ceci no
Skinner no

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad