Recalled/Assigned: Strome recalled from Tucson (sent down 12/19)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yeah, I just reviewed previous deadline deals...very probably I was overly optimistic.

Still, there could be a bidding war of sorts. :crossfing With the Treviling connection I can see Calgary being interested in him.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, I just reviewed previous deadline deals...very probably I was overly optimistic.

Still, there could be a bidding war of sorts. :crossfing With the Treviling connection I can see Calgary being interested in him.

Was going to suggest Calgary as well. They need a top 9 winger and the Don was always high on Toby.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Rieder certainly doesn't look the same to me, but his production is still alright especially given his minutes have been cut.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
It looks to me like Strome would be better suited to spending some more time in the A. There's not much question he's at that stage where he's almost too good to be playing downt here but he's not making a difference at the NHL level either. Best to keep him under the 40 game threshold while he gains more experience and confidence in the A. He would probably aid the Roadrunners in making the playoffs as well.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
It looks to me like Strome would be better suited to spending some more time in the A. There's not much question he's at that stage where he's almost too good to be playing downt here but he's not making a difference at the NHL level either. Best to keep him under the 40 game threshold while he gains more experience and confidence in the A. He would probably aid the Roadrunners in making the playoffs as well.

No doubt. Bring in a bottom six vet center. Leave Strome and Merkley in Tucson. Let these guys destroy that league

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Strome and Duke did not play well last game, but putting Stome on the wing is not putting him in a position to succeed. He looked fine at center.

Reactions: Yandover

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
We have enough bottom six vets centers, like all of them.

I get that. But Strome and Merkley are not learning to be winners in Glendale, where our AHL counterparts are literally crushing the league. Send them back down, maybe win them a championship down in Tucson, and try again next year. The NHL season is not salvageable at this point.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I get that. But Strome and Merkley are not learning to be winners in Glendale, where our AHL counterparts are literally crushing the league. Send them back down, maybe win them a championship down in Tucson, and try again next year. The NHL season is not salvageable at this point.

I understand and that may happen, but we have to see if either of them will be in our long term plans, so I would play them as much as possible to see what we have. That also goes with other players playing in Tucson.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like Jake's proximity logic with Tucson recalls. It's down the road and guys should be rewarded. At the same time confidence is a concern. It's a tough call on how to handle Strome. He was about to lead the damn league in scoring. A meritocracy begs a recall. That said, he's probably now feeling pretty damn fragile after being a total flop yet again in the NHL. Don't want to give him a complex. All you can do is keep giving him chances and hope he's mentally tough enough to succeed.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I like Jake's proximity logic with Tucson recalls. It's down the road and guys should be rewarded. At the same time confidence is a concern. It's a tough call on how to handle Strome. He was about to lead the damn league in scoring. A meritocracy begs a recall. That said, he's probably now feeling pretty damn fragile after being a total flop yet again in the NHL. Don't want to give him a complex. All you can do is keep giving him chances and hope he's mentally tough enough to succeed.

There is that gamble with his confidence. But they've probably discussed this move with Strome already and what more they expect form him while he's down there. If he treatsit like he did earlier this season and keeps working his ass off I have no doubt he'll be back.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Some might feel that going to Tucson is more rewarding than playing with us (as of late)

Reactions: Jmmack

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Every time he fails to stick at the NHL level, my confidence that he becomes a NHL 1C fades.
Early Thornton was before my time, how long did it take him?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Every time he fails to stick at the NHL level, my confidence that he becomes a NHL 1C fades.
Early Thornton was before my time, how long did it take him?
19 year old Joe Thornton
81 GP
16 Goals
25 Assists

20 year old Joe Thornton
81 GP
23 Goals
37 Assists

I remember him from those Boston days, was a pretty feisty player too and stood up for himself.

Anyway, the Thornton/Strome comparison has sailed.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Thornton first year he only had 7 pts in 55 games, however his 2nd year (draft + 1) he had 41 pts and then 60 pts in draft + 2 and then 71 pts in Draft + 3 and off to the races thereafter.

Strome will need to continue to work on his quickness to succeed at the NHL level. His skill level can dominate at the AHL level, that has been shown. We needed a #1 Center so badly, we reached on Strome and then fueled the flames even more by acquiring Stepan, who is also clearly not a #1.

Right now, we've got 2 #3s, and a whole host of #4s...and we wonder why we suck.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Dylan Strome = Andy Miele, great minor league numbers, play with the big boys, vanishes into nothingness. Time to move on from him...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I don't think Strome needs to learn how to be a winner. He's won at every level.

He needs to learn to mold his game to work at the NHL pace and competition level. He's already ripped up Tucson once, what's another few months gonna do? He'll put up gaudy numbers against meh competition with linemates who are physically imposing like Crouse. If he's ever going to be a useful player for the Coyotes he can't only ever perform in the best of situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad