Recalled/Assigned: Strome recalled from Tucson (sent down 12/19)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't mind him spending time in the A. What I don't like is them deciding he made the team and then sending him down after two games. They should have been able to identify if he wasn't ready for the NHL in training camp.

Losing teams generally panic and pull what levers they can. To include blaming young players for not immediately having an impact. He's better off centering an AHL 1st line vs getting crap time on a bad NHL team's 3rd line with scrub wingers.

I don't expect him to be a revelation or to really help the team right away. He's just not that type of player. He has more offensive vision than Richardson but he's still very raw in every other aspect.

Reactions: Yandover

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Keller Stepan Fischer
Domi Dvo Duclair
Perlini Strome Rieder
Martinook Richardson Rinaldo

Thanks my guess. Doubt Strome gets two scoring wingers. He'll be lucky to get one.

I wouldn't mind these. I definitely think Keller needs to get away from Richardson. I'm not sure two speedsters fit well with Strome, though. We'll find out soon enough.

Reactions: Yandover

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't mind him spending time in the A. What I don't like is them deciding he made the team and then sending him down after two games. They should have been able to identify if he wasn't ready for the NHL in training camp.

Was that in any way due to the AHL starting their season later? My take is that he is already here, the staff probably told him that Tucson was likely, but we keep him up in case he shows us something and to help in drills, etc.

I also don't like people talking about Dvorak in that sense, but the over-arching message is that we have youth and sometimes we need to get them comfortable, and that may include some time in the AHL, for nothing more than the sake of playing with some players who are not necessarily peers.

Yes, Dvorak was playing strong and clearly carved out a nice niche after those injuries brought him right back up.

No, I don't think it was wrong for the staff to to attempt to do with Dvorak exactly what was being done with Strome, even though the potential talent gap between last and this year's time was wider and Dvorak was clearly able to play a role.

Good for Strome for earning it.

Good for management for bringing him up and carving a path of things to work on, the same as any young player should have. Just because the path has a few more obstacles with this player over another doesn't mean that past and present aren't trying to rebuild players differently.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The way the minutes have been getting dished out the last 3-4 games have been very even between lines 1,2, and 3. All 3 are playing about second line minutes right now. Where as early in the year Domi-Stepan-Keller were playing all the prime minutes. If it stays as it has been he'll have plenty of chances.
That I would be ok with.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sending him back down will probably be the result of how he plays.

Dvorak went up and down a couple of times last year before staying.

Let’s wait and see how he performs with the big club before making any more presumptions.

How he plays will dictate if he stays or gets demoted. It took them 20 games to decide on Kempe instead of 2.

Martinook and Reider are way better then Strome/Merckley/Crouse on D, forechecking, back checking, anywhere without the puck. They don't produce as many points but we have other guys that can score. We need more team D not less. If you noticed Chayka's comment he said Strome improved what he was asked to work on, and produced too. The production was an after thought. Strome will produce with minutes, I don't doubt that. He has to be solid without the puck, that is what will determine if he sticks or not. I hope he is ready this time but it could still be a work in progress, might take time, being up and down a few times like DVO last year.

Every player has to play D on the team, and some more than others, but Strome was not brought up for his D, rather his offense. The other guys that you say that can score have not when given the chance. RT said as much the last two games when he said we had chances but could not capitalize. I think only about 5 or 6 teams have scored less than us so we need goal scoring help. I think the biggest problem with Strome is he liked to coast a bit too much and was told to keep his feet moving, be more aggressive on the forecheck etc. Like you said, he has to be solid without the puck.

I would have preferred they waited until an injury or something but can't deny Strome has been dominant in the AHL. I just hope RT doesn't stick him on a grind line while giving him 10 minutes a night.

Why wait? Let's see what happens. I hope they continue to bring up and demote others as well. Tucson is close for a reason and we have talent down there that we have to evaluate this year to see what we have.

The way the minutes have been getting dished out the last 3-4 games have been very even between lines 1,2, and 3. All 3 are playing about second line minutes right now. Where as early in the year Domi-Stepan-Keller were playing all the prime minutes. If it stays as it has been he'll have plenty of chances.

With Keller slowing down a bit and other players playing better, it makes sense to share the minutes. You need more than one line to be successful in the NHL.

Eventually you just can't turn a blind eye to what he's been doing in the A.

Exactly.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that the team has decided that Strome's chance is now. They will play him for the rest of the year. To send him back to the A for a fourth time would just announce to the world that Strome is a bust.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think that the team has decided that Strome's chance is now. They will play him for the rest of the year. To send him back to the A for a fourth time would just announce to the world that Strome is a bust.
It would announce no such thing. All players develop at their pace and they don't all follow the same path. Did the Leafs harm Kadri or announce he was a bust when he went back and forth with the Marlies for a season? I suspect the Coyotes have a plan for Strome and it just might include getting your feet wet a few times in the NHL and going to an easier League to perfect his trade for long term success. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Best news for me is that the development process seems to be working as it should:

Stage 1 - Good camp = starts in the NHL
Stage 2 - Some issues to be worked on whilst playing with the Coyotes = sent to the AHL
Stage 3 - Progression on the issues and start to totally dominate in Tucson = call up to the NHL

Stage 2 and 3 might repeat themselves as stage 4 and 5 but this sounds a great approach to Strome development.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Excited to see how his game has developed and how he translates that to the NHL. I am a bit surprised he is called up so soon, though. Thought maybe he would stay down for at least 25 games in the AHL.

Will be very interesting to see who his linemates will be.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
How he plays will dictate if he stays or gets demoted. It took them 20 games to decide on Kempe instead of 2.

I believe I said that. :help:

And it took 20 games for them to decide if Strome was ready to be moved up. Obviously they weren't interested in bringing anyone else. :rolleyes:

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Saw this and immediately I am pleased that Strome has another chance. He's certainly proved that he can put the points up in the AHL. People in this thread have made good points, at least imo. He needs to be given the right line-mates and minutes to get things done.

I also am of the mind that he will be beneficial for this team in many ways. He's going to need players that can get open for him and then finish when he gets them the puck. I really would like to see how he and Keller would play together at some point. Idk if it would work since they both like handling the puck... but both can make great passes and the vision/IQ is great. So there could be some potential there!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He won't be a 1.5 PPG playerin the NHL.
I'm not worried about his production, he will produce points for sure, he is so good with the puck. I'll be watching him without the puck, that will determine if he sticks or not. He doesn't have to be great without the puck, just can't be a disaster.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I don't even know how to feel about this. I loved what he was doing in Tucson and loved seeing the dominance. I do worry about Tucson's success moving forward without Strome. They have a championship worthy team.

That said, Strome could play well enough up here to make it that much harder to play against the Coyotes.

I'm stoked either way. I hope he gets in the right situation and he continues to show that he can keep progressing as a player.

Reactions: CC96 and _Del_

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I believe this is the same Craig Morgan that completely butchered "tonight's line pairings" not long ago.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ugh, we need a #1 center, not a top line winger

Strome wasn't going to morph into that over night, playing center or not. This way they can ease him in, see how he does, and feed him PP minutes. If he can't make faster decisions and be better away from the puck then he goes back down. My impression was that the recall was a reward for playing well (He can earn a weeks worth of NHL paycheck before the Roadrunners play again + get some looks) more than a coronation or an arrival.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Forward Dylan Strome (playing wing).......Twitter meltdown coming in 3, 2, 1.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad