Recalled/Assigned: Strome recalled from Tucson (sent down 12/19)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know how Strome will develop but if I was ever an NHL GM I would not draft any player that wasn't a well above average skater, the game has changed and when you skate well you have a significantly greater chance of at worst not busting. If you can't skate you have to be exceptional to play these days.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't know how Strome will develop but if I was ever an NHL GM I would not draft any player that wasn't a well above average skater, the game has changed and when you skate well you have a significantly greater chance of at worst not busting. If you can't skate you have to be exceptional to play these days.

I think his skating was a problem but I'm not sure it still is. He mostly keeps up with players through the neutral zone and chasing down skaters behind the net. Strome's game is the "slows the game down" type but he can't do that to NHL players right now. His reaction times are off, you'll see him move his stick toward a puck carrier or try and dodge a defender but by the time he makes the move the other player is gone or taken the puck. He's not strong enough, kinda doughy and I'm not sure he'll ever be a fit for the Tocchet push as fast as you can offense.

But I'm definitely not convinced him spending the next 4 months dunking on mostly non-NHLers is going to do much for him. He's not like Crouse who needs to outright develop an offensive game.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

KG

Sep 23, 2010
He also, to me, still looks way too skinny. How hard is it to bulk up? Kid is a pro athlete now.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He's like the proverbial 4A baseball player. He crushes is at the AHL but his skills just don't translate to the NHL.

Bust.

Reactions: Yandover

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Not sure what to think here. It's better to get top minutes in Tucson than crap minutes here. Those shouldn't be the only two options though. Also, no matter how much time we give him in the AHL, one day he's going to have to adapt to the NHL, or not be an NHL player. I don't think we're at that point yet, but no amount of ahl seasoning is going to make him not need an adjustment period. Maybe it's good just to get him away from this nightmare we call a team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
19 year old Joe Thornton
81 GP
16 Goals
25 Assists

20 year old Joe Thornton
81 GP
23 Goals
37 Assists

I remember him from those Boston days, was a pretty feisty player too and stood up for himself.

Anyway, the Thornton/Strome comparison has sailed.
Thornton was a badass in his early days. Mean as piss.

Ryan Johansen has to be our new glimmer of hope. Johansen is a good skater though. So that's tough. He was a great AHL, not great NHLer at D+3 which is where Strome is at. Spezza was slightly ahead but only slightly. He also had skating issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZviaNJ and CC96

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I wouldn't feel too bad if I were Strome, the Roadrunners could probably beat the Coyotes, despite playing the same system.. apparently.

Hmmm, exhibition match for the All-star break? It's not like the coyotes really deserve a break with the number of periods they failed to "show up" to.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think blaming the organization for his development is a little simplistic. Sending him to juniors last year was the right call. He's not producing in the NHL at even Zach Rinaldo levels. So obviously he's not an NHL player today. That said, we sent him to the minors and he immediately made the league his jail house girlfriend. So why not reward him? If you call him up on merit, why not give him a long look? If after a long look he's still producing Rinaldo numbers, why not demote him? Right now there's a 33% chance he becomes an impact player. There's a 33% chance he becomes a marginal player. There's a 33% chance he's a total bust.

We might get a Ryan Johansen, we might get a Sam Gagner or we might get a complete bust.

This is what 3rd overalls look like (it's mostly not great):

2013Jonathan DrouinLWHalifax (QMJHL) Tampa Bay Lightning
2012Alex Galchenyuk CSarnia (OHL) Montreal Canadiens
2011Jonathan HuberdeauC/LWSaint John (QMJHL) Florida Panthers
2010Erik Gudbranson DKingston (OHL) Florida Panthers
2009Matt DucheneCBrampton (OHL) Colorado Avalanche
2008Zach BogosianDPeterborough (OHL) Atlanta Thrashers
2007Kyle TurrisCBurnaby (BCHL)Phoenix Coyotes
2006Jonathan ToewsCNorth Dakota (WCHA)Chicago Blackhawks
2005Jack JohnsonDU.S. Junior National Team (Intl)Carolina Hurricanes
2004Cam BarkerDMedicine Hat Tigers (WHL)Chicago Blackhawks
2003Nathan HortonCOshawa Generals (OHL)Florida Panthers
2002Jay BouwmeesterDMedicine Hat Tigers (WHL)Florida Panthers
2001Alexandr SvitovCOmsk Avangard (Russia)Tampa Bay Lightning
2000Marian GaborikLWDukla Trencin (Slovak)Minnesota Wild
1999Henrik SedinCModo Hockey Ornskoldsvik (SEL)Vancouver Canucks
1998Brad StuartDRegina Pats (WHL)San Jose Sharks
1997Olli JokinenCHIFK Helsinki (FNL)Los Angeles Kings
1996J.P. DumontRWVal-d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL)New York Islanders
1995Aki-Petteri BergDTPS Jrs. (Finland)Los Angeles Kings
1994Radek BonkCLas Vegas Thunder (IHL)Ottawa Senators
1993Chris Gratton
C
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I don't blame management on this one. The kid needs to show something. I mean it's not like there's no room for a new player to stand out on this team consider how much everyone struggles.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
How many players have dominated the AHL as 20 year olds and never contributed descently in the nhl? I think he’s just going to take some time

Reactions: Sthlmyote

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You know, I'm not ready to give up on Strome yet. Call me crazy, but NOBODY on this team is playing up to potential - not even Keller, who has cooled off considerably. How is it possible to accurately judge Strome in the middle of an unrelenting sewer of a season like this one?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You know, I'm not ready to give up on Strome yet. Call me crazy, but NOBODY on this team is playing up to potential - not even Keller, who has cooled off considerably. How is it possible to accurately judge Strome in the middle of an unrelenting sewer of a season like this one?
This season makes any evaluation difficult. He might be a bust or just need more time to round out his game and might be best for him to do that in the AHL for now.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Strome doesn't have the power of a power forward or center and doesn't have the speed or acceleration of a shifty center.

Can't shove, can't shift, can't fly. Pure AHL talent.

Reactions: zz

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I'm not usually cynical when it comes to young players, but i have never liked the pick since the day it happened. Not only due to our shit luck making us miss out on McEichel, but also due to the fact that if only Matthews was born a few days earlier, we could've had him...and i liked Marner's skillset more than Strome's. Strome seems like a great kid and i feel for him, but i dont think he'll ever work out. At least not for the Coyotes. Maybe elsewhere, but at this point we may not even get a decent package for him. I think he's a bust.

We have the worst luck when it comes to drafting our hopeful "number one centers." Or 3rd overall for that matter.

Reactions: Yandover

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
The kid demolished the AHL in a month and a half, won every possible accolade during that period. Now in the NHL, looks like he is playing another sport.

I find it hard to evaluate him at this point; his highs and lows are such extremes and I do not wish to rush into any conclusions.

Perhaps it will come at time later on to give him proper 1st/2nl liner NHL minutes for a few games and see what happens; because really we cannot suck much more than we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad