Recalled/Assigned: Strome recalled from Tucson (sent down 12/19)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
From what I gleaned off Twitter...

Keller - Richardson - Strome

... was one combo they had at practice but Strome also worked with Stepan and (I think) Fischer.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Stupid but not surprising coming from the Coyotes. Let's help our two best offensive prospects along by playing them with a 4th line center and playing Strome at right wing where he's played like not at all. Brilliant! What is it with this organization and trying to play bottom six guys in top six roles? It's been going on for decades. The current fascination with Rieder, Richardson, Rinaldo, Kempe, etc is just mind boggling.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Stupid but not surprising coming from the Coyotes. Let's help our two best offensive prospects along by playing them with a 4th line center and playing Strome at right wing where he's played like not at all. Brilliant! What is it with this organization and trying to play bottom six guys in top six roles? It's been going on for decades. The current fascination with Rieder, Richardson, Rinaldo, Kempe, etc is just mind boggling.
They are trying to keep Strome from getting killed on D down low in his own zone. That is smart, takes pressure off of him on D without the puck. Many good C's played plenty of wing at first for the same reason.

Reactions: Jakey53 and slv

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Nothing else has worked with this kid, at this level. He went to the AHL and basically started tearing it upon almost immediately, after not showing anything special in the big show. Perhaps this will prove to allow him to assimilate to the next step.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's a terrible combo. Ewww.

Sometimes hockey isn't like setting up a fantasy lineup.

Moving Keller down has spread the offense out, making it harder to key against any one line. It has also helped with Keller's defensive game. Richardson is the best possession center the team has and the best FO guy, he can help shelter the two. He isn't nearly as useless as everyone makes him out to be. Is there a better winger on this team than Keller for Strome to be paired with anyways? Putting them with Stepan and then feeding them a ton of ozone starts didn't exactly work if you were paying attention at all.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Yeah, Keller still doesn't fit with Richardson. It has stifled his offense when he's out there with him. There's no one for him to work with. Keller's defensive game was fine and as with most players who don't mind putting in effort, it would have come to him regardless. Also, I don't think Richardson is useless, I really think he has a place on this team, I just don't like Keller being stuck with him.

And yes, almost anyone is better on Strome's wing as they play very, very different styles. We saw this already. When Strome has been put on the same line as speedy players he simply cannot keep up. When he's at center he's too slow to hit the wingers in time for a zone exit and I imagine at wing he will be trailing all the time causing the rush to slow down for him and potentially allow the backcheckers to get back into position.

Am I saying this is how it will go when he's with speedy linemates? Not for certain. But that is how it has gone in the past. The plus side is that Keller isn't just fast, he's smart so he will likely be able to adjust to whatever style Strome plays.

Reactions: Yandover and RemoAZ

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah, Keller still doesn't fit with Richardson. It has stifled his offense when he's out there with him. There's no one for him to work with. Keller's defensive game was fine and as with most players who don't mind putting in effort, it would have come to him regardless. Also, I don't think Richardson is useless, I really think he has a place on this team, I just don't like Keller being stuck with him.

And yes, almost anyone is better on Strome's wing as they play very, very different styles. We saw this already. When Strome has been put on the same line as speedy players he simply cannot keep up. When he's at center he's too slow to hit the wingers in time for a zone exit and I imagine at wing he will be trailing all the time causing the rush to slow down for him and potentially allow the backcheckers to get back into position.

Am I saying this is how it will go when he's with speedy linemates? Not for certain. But that is how it has gone in the past. The plus side is that Keller isn't just fast, he's smart so he will likely be able to adjust to whatever style Strome plays.

Keller was getting stifled before he got moved down.

And has been pointed out the team started scoring from the other lines as a result.

I fully expect lines to get moved around during games and if that leads to us rolling at least the top three lines then does it really matter who’s playing where??

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If the team wants to try him at wing why didn't they do it down in Tucson?
They didn't need to do it in Tucson, he was easily good enough to play center there. The NHL is a different beast and it is usually a learning curve for young players, especially centers who aren't overly strong. The Leafs started Matthews on the 3rd line last season and I don't think they hurt his growth any?? And they use Nylander on the wing with future plan for him to be a center, he isn't hurting from the plan.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I recall throughout the years that prized young centers were started at forward to ease the responsibility on the NHL ice for their first full campaign. I like putting Strome on the wing and easing him into his center roll. I would also like to see him on second line power play as well.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I like putting Strome on Richardson's wing. Of all our "grinder" guys, he's my favorite - he's a solid veteran presence, good leadership, and has enough grit to be able to watch out for Dylan while the kid gets acclimated. No, he's not going to set Strome up for a ton of points, but he's going to let Dylan figure out the NHL game without a huge load of responsibility from the get-go and without having to be looking over his shoulder every time he's on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sthlmyote

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
If the team wants to try him at wing why didn't they do it down in Tucson?
A valid question and point. Switching to wing from center is not as simple as some seem to think. There is less responsibility, but it is still a different role and if you've been playing center with a conscience, it can be difficult to pull in the reins and remain disciplined with the restricted role.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Slightly off-topic here, but we really need a scorer (a la Vrbata) to put with Keller in order for him to succeed.

Personally, I think Strome could play relatively well with Richardson and Fischer or perhaps Stepan and Fischer

Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Keller - Stepan - Perlini
Strome - Richardson - Fischer
Martinook - Rinaldo - Rieder​

Perhaps we could trade Rieder + to a team for a scoring RW?

Reactions: Yandover

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think a Domi - Strome combo could be good. Reality is it likely wont make a difference. Young guys are not ready.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Slightly off-topic here, but we really need a scorer (a la Vrbata) to put with Keller in order for him to succeed.

Personally, I think Strome could play relatively well with Richardson and Fischer or perhaps Stepan and Fischer

Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Keller - Stepan - Perlini
Strome - Richardson - Fischer
Martinook - Rinaldo - Rieder​

Perhaps we could trade Rieder + to a team for a scoring RW?

I’d trade a Rieder for a Ryan White jersey and a Coke Zero if it meant getting his bum ass out of AZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad