Recalled/Assigned: Strome recalled from Tucson (sent down 12/19)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because Tocc doesn't want to give up 8 goals a game. That is why Duclair/Strome are out of the line up. Strome on the first line would force him to defend the other teams first line, he would get smoked on D.

So putting Strome and Duke back in the line up they would be the ones responsible for giving up 8 goals? You said yourself you have to put players in a position to succeed, so why would Strome and Duke be up against other teams top lines? We have Stepan and Richardson, both experienced centers, so give them that role. Dvo is very good defensively, I'm sure he could surprise. I'm tired of the Cousins, Rinaldo, Kempe and now Archibald of the worlds that have plenty of go but no show and are not the difference in winning or losing. If we are going to lose, let's lose with the kids who are at that stage of needing ice time and experience so give them the ice time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tocc can read these stats. Is Tocc stupid knowing we need more goals? Was Tip stupid too? Coaches watch how players play during the game and they watch tape too to see how every player reads and reacts to situations. Both Duclair and Strome are being given an opportunity, no doubt we are desperate for production.

Both Strome and Duke are inconsistent in their play, but my god, so is everyone else on this team. The leaders on this team should be the vets, yet they are the one's with inconsistent play and I think as much or more than the kids. Why hasn't Demers, Gogo, Rieder etc. sat for a game or two until they realize where their head is stuck, unless we have over valued these players and they are playing to their capacity. If Stepan is having time adjusting (poor excuse) let him sit in the press box and let him use his IQ to figure it out. That is my one knock on RT is that he has not held the vets accountable for their play.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Is Strome ready? nHL play is tentative at best. AHL was very good. Im not opposed to the team focusing on AHL results for now (expect a whole number of roster moves come the AHL roster freeze where Chychrun, Merkley, Strome, maybe even Keller are sent down and almost immediately recalled) and focus more on feeding Strome 18 mins/night post trade deadline when we clean out some bodies. I think there is a danger of losing the room if you continue to play a player in prime minutes who quite frankly hasn’t deserved it with his play. How do u preach an ice time reward system and then ignore that when it comes to Strome? At this point I think the focus with the NHL club is culture and learning how to close games.

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Tocc can read these stats. Is Tocc stupid knowing we need more goals? Was Tip stupid too? Coaches watch how players play during the game and they watch tape too to see how every player reads and reacts to situations. Both Duclair and Strome are being given an opportunity, no doubt we are desperate for production.

Two things to say about these questions. Idk if RT and Tip are stupid or not (I doubt that they are)... but they both had/have horrible records as head coach last couple of seasons. So, neither has shown that they know how to win in the NHL nowadays as a head coach. All that out the window though, let's just focus on this season. With this team's record... can anyone honestly say RT has done a good job and deserves the benefit of a doubt when it comes to his decisions? I don't think he's earned that. At least I am personally not willing to give him much leeway until he proves to me that he knows what he is doing with some tangible results. Because, with the record this team has, its not unfair to also say he has no idea what he's doing.

Reactions: RemoAZ

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Strome is a lot weaker then I thought. He doesn't compete for pucks very well. He's the type of player who needs to have the puck to maximize his assets which is mainly setting up plays. Maybe he will still develop in the AHL but I am having my doubts he will have much of an NHL career.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome is a lot weaker then I thought. He doesn't compete for pucks very well. He's the type of player who needs to have the puck to maximize his assets which is mainly setting up plays. Maybe he will still develop in the AHL but I am having my doubts he will have much of an NHL career.

Strome played very well when he was first called up and played great with Keller and Fischer. He didn't float, was involved in the play, used his body which really surprised me, back checked very well which resulted in many TA's. He started to faulter after a few games, and then RT put him back to LW where he was invisible. I have a feeling we are going to be trading Strome and Duclair for over the hill vets which will haunt us for years. What scares me is that RT has much say on the roster as Archibald was a player he wanted.

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just going to retell this story. Years ago I sat beside a flames scout watching Blake Wheeler play at UND while he was with Minnesota. This was 2-3 years after he was drafted (same age as Strome or likely older) and Wheeler was awful. Flames scout didn't think he'd play in 4th line in NHL. Something clicked his final year (when he was 22) but even then it took him to 25/26 before he looked LIke a star player.

Reactions: Heldig and RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I should also point out while I love Craig Morgan I give a shake f the head at believing everything that management says at face value. Yes " he's learned everything he can at the AHL level" is a great quote but look at this objectively. He had 15 games where he dominatedthe score sheet. Did he dictate play? Did he have a stretch where he reverted back to junior habits? Did he learn how to be resilient when things didn't go his way on his first callup? It's almost like he still has things to experience to me. Sometimes management sees what they want to see. Stats can mislead and we are desperate for good news.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad