Streit placed on waivers (Update: contract terminated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't see Streit playing in the AHL. His contract is most likely terminated.

I'm not quite familiar with that aspect, but I believe Streit has to retire for the cap hit to go away. I don't think terminating the contract is not enough.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone looking at this like "lol Bergevin what a terrible signing" has no idea how being a GM works. Streit was signed to compete with Davidson, Mete, Jerabek, and Lernout for a roster spot. He didn't make it, he's cut. That's it.

You forgot Morrow and Redmond. You also have to notice that he was the last guy signed and not so long after Markov said he was going back in the KHL. That's way too many defencemen to battle for a roster spot. You could even add Gelinas on top. As someone else said, he should have been offered a PTO. It is an useless signing and contract

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
When you have 4 d-men competing for 1 roster spot, you don't need to sign a 39 year old d who was clearly finished the year prior. It was a silly signing then and it remains so.
I know, totally, it's really going to cost us going forward. :help:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The gamble didn't work (and it was a long shot given his play in the NHL playoffs .. or non-play last year), but it was nothing. Again, who cares ? At least, they are going in another direction fast. The big problem remains.... we lost Markov for nothing.

Would you gamble in a game you'd know FOR SURE you'd lose? I love those no big deals fans who, based on the money and term, feel that it's not that big of a deal....yep, based on that it's not. What I DO mind is that going for him and thinking he actually could do it means that he's not looking for somebody else who might actually have. Just like going for Hemsky, who is surely the next in line while we could have gambled with somebody else.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You forgot Morrow and Redmond. You also have to notice that he was the last guy signed and not so long after Markov said he was going back in the KHL. That's way too many defencemen to battle for a roster spot. You could even add Gelinas on top. As someone else said, he should have been offered a PTO. It is an useless signing and contract
What's the downside? Who knew Mete was for sure ready? What happens if we have a rash of injuries on D?

Again, this was a nothing signing, and nothing came out of it. Just an insurance policy we didn't end up needing.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I'm not quite familiar with that aspect, but I believe Streit has to retire for the cap hit to go away. I don't think terminating the contract is not enough.

If he's not claimed, they will put him tomorrow on Uncondionnal waivers to terminate his contract. His cap hit will be what he costs at this point roughly 30 000

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It's not about costing anything. A signing doesn't have to negatively impact a team for it to still be redundant and stupid.

Streit made no impact, and predictably so. That's why it's dumb.
If you're complaining about this, you just want to complain. Good day.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Would you gamble in a game you'd know FOR SURE you'd lose? I love those no big deals fans who, based on the money and term, feel that it's not that big of a deal....yep, based on that it's not. What I DO mind is that going for him and thinking he actually could do it means that he's not looking for somebody else who might actually have. Just like going for Hemsky, who is surely the next in line while we could have gambled with somebody else.

It's not a big deal but I will say again the big deal it's losing Markov for nothing.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
If you're complaining about this, you just want to complain. Good day.
I'm actually not complaining about this at all. I'm laughing at how silly the whole thing was and how non-experts saw this back in August.

I'm waiting with a bag of popcorn to see all the backtracking from the "trust experts" crowd.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Anyone looking at this like "lol Bergevin what a terrible signing" has no idea how being a GM works. Streit was signed to compete with Davidson, Mete, Jerabek, and Lernout for a roster spot. He didn't make it, he's cut. That's it.

Don't understand. So...who else did that this summer? Who else gave that many contracts to d-men? And mostly d-men everybody knew it wouldn't work out? Aside from PTO I mean, 'cause a PTO, THAT what it does....players that can compete for a roster spot with no attachment. So if the answer is not a whole lot of GM's...do they not know how a GM works? Since when is Bergevin the role model for what a GM is and isn't?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Also, lol to Wilde just shrugging this off after his propoganda campaign and assault on "haters" and "non-experts" all summer.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
If he's not claimed, they will put him tomorrow on Uncondionnal waivers to terminate his contract. His cap hit will be what he costs at this point roughly 30 000

I'm fairly certain that to place a player on Unconditional Waivers you have to offer a buy-out.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
What's the downside? Who knew Mete was for sure ready? What happens if we have a rash of injuries on D?

Again, this was a nothing signing, and nothing came out of it. Just an insurance policy we didn't end up needing.

Weber, Petry, Alzner, Schlemko, Benn, Jerabek, Morrow, Davidson, Redmond, Lernout and Mete. (and Markov)

He had more than enough dmen to compete for roster spots. Streit was only signed because Markov didn't, the same way Hemsky signed when Radulov didn't. I agree that those signings are probably more insurance policies than anything else... but they're stupid as we didn't really need these guys. I had no hope for Streit but I was expecting more (than nothing) from Hemsky

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I'm fairly certain that to place a player on Unconditional Waivers you have to offer a buy-out.

Here's an example less than a month ago.

The Tampa Bay Lightning have placed forwards Brian Hart and Cam Darcy on unconditional waivers for the purposes of contract termination as reported by CapFriendly.com.

https://www.rawcharge.com/2017/9/18...n-hart-prospects-sergachev-howden-nhl-yzerman

Or Semin:

https://www.nhl.com/news/canadiens-semin-agree-to-terminate-contract/c-791905

"Alexander Semin cleared unconditional waivers by the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday and the Canadiens announced they had mutually agreed with Semin and his advisers to terminate his working agreement."

Semin declined his assignment to St. John's of the American Hockey League after clearing waivers Tuesday.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Are you saying that if Mete is not ready, we are keeping Streit? You don' t think we have enough of the others to compensate even if it would mean a terrible defense? Is Joe Morrow a gamble when Julien knows this guy day in, day out? Why do you think we cannot have a rash of injuries on D now?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Here's an example less than a month ago.

The Tampa Bay Lightning have placed forwards Brian Hart and Cam Darcy on unconditional waivers for the purposes of contract termination as reported by CapFriendly.com.

https://www.rawcharge.com/2017/9/18...n-hart-prospects-sergachev-howden-nhl-yzerman

Or Semin:

https://www.nhl.com/news/canadiens-semin-agree-to-terminate-contract/c-791905

"Alexander Semin cleared unconditional waivers by the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday and the Canadiens announced they had mutually agreed with Semin and his advisers to terminate his working agreement."

Semin declined his assignment to St. John's of the American Hockey League after clearing waivers Tuesday.

But none of those guys were on 35+ contract so the cap hit should remain for Streit no ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad