Streit placed on waivers (Update: contract terminated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I didn't care about the signing when it happened because it was a dirt cheap contract and it gave an opportunity for a young guy to outplay him as his $700k salary didn't guarantee him anything. He's been outplayed by Mete, Jerabek, Davidson and even Morrow looked better, odds are he ends up retiring or going back to Switzerland.. Streit was a class act and I loved having him here to start his career, hopefully he retires where he started his career.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Will someone ask Marc Bergerien and his friends why the **** he was signed in the 1st place? Was he supposed to replace Markov? :laugh:

The issue here is he was not suppose to replace Markov and only some of the fan based tied this together to critize our GM for it later if it didn't work out.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
People getting all worked up over a nothingburger. He was basically on an extended PTO. People really need to get over Markov too, I am. I love him but he was declining quickly as a NHLer. Calling him a "#2 D-man" is just not true.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
If MB had been paying attention during last seasons playoffs when Streit couldn't even crack an injury riddled Pens D he would've seen this as a terrible move.

I don't see any other reason... they were so sure that Markov would come back on THEIR terms that they had to sign a replacement and the only one was Streit.... not signing Markov is one of the worst move Bergevin did.

The gamble didn't work (and it was a long shot given his play in the NHL playoffs .. or non-play last year), but it was nothing. Again, who cares ? At least, they are going in another direction fast. The big problem remains.... we lost Markov for nothing.

When you have 4 d-men competing for 1 roster spot, you don't need to sign a 39 year old d who was clearly finished the year prior. It was a silly signing then and it remains so.

The 1 million that MB did not want to budge on Markov is now sitting as deadcap space. Sigh.

Would you gamble in a game you'd know FOR SURE you'd lose? I love those no big deals fans who, based on the money and term, feel that it's not that big of a deal....yep, based on that it's not. What I DO mind is that going for him and thinking he actually could do it means that he's not looking for somebody else who might actually have. Just like going for Hemsky, who is surely the next in line while we could have gambled with somebody else.

It's not about costing anything. A signing doesn't have to negatively impact a team for it to still be redundant and stupid.

Streit made no impact, and predictably so. That's why it's dumb.

DL9ARjPW4AAgWAH.jpg

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
While the size of contract isn't a big deal, by far the most troubling aspect to me is that every last bit of information available during the off-season said Streit was done.

But nope... our organization was smarter. They didn't believe it and went and signed him only to find out that when information from all sources unanimously agrees it is actually usually right. Where the hell is the pro scouting for this team?

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
While the size of contract isn't a big deal, by far the most troubling aspect to me is that every last bit of information available during the off-season said Streit was done.

But nope... our organization was smarter. They didn't believe it and went and signed him only to find out that when information from all sources unanimously agrees it is actually usually right. Where the hell is the pro scouting for this team?

It's a panic move because they were sure that Markov would be back. It's obvious.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
so if Bergevin is the best scout of talent in the league why does he keep just trying every cheap scrub and hoping they won't fail before they eventually fail

this guy is such a bad GM this might not be the end but it's definetly getting closer

whats really incredible is that he didn't get any juicy bites from the other GMs lining up when he dangled Streit as trade bait i mean the phone must have been ringing non stop

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Brisebois, Mara, Bouillon, Streit...

Who is the next D man to be brought back;

A) Brent Sopel
B) Chris Campoli
C) Yannick Weber
D) Davis Drewiske
or
E) Josh Gorges

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Markov had his press conference about not returning and Streit was signed almost at the identical same time.

I guess Hemsky was suppose to replace "Radulov" then eh? Sorry, I don't buy it. Hemsky and Streit were low risk moves with the hope they might work. Who cares if they don't work out.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I guess Hemsky was suppose to replace "Radulov" then eh? Sorry, I don't buy it. Hemsky and Streit were low risk moves with the hope they might work. Who cares if they don't work out.

Uh, yeah, essentially.

They missed on Radulov and Markov.. and they gambled on Streit and Hemsky.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010

They are busy scouting Brian Gionta and prepping a nice contract to get him here.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
IMO, Streit was brought in to replace Markov's PP only and failed. Mete (and probably Shlemko) took his spot.
That probably means that Mete will make the team for the whole season

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
If MB had been paying attention during last seasons playoffs when Streit couldn't even crack an injury riddled Pens D he would've seen this as a terrible move.

MB probably considers him a good depth guy with great character :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->