Post-Game Talk: #Streakbusters 2:1 Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
It is still so early, I think we need to let this play out a bit more before we go using a small sample size of this season to hang Chevy on. Let's just sit tight a bit longer here and see if any progress is made with Maurice at the helm here. If it doesn't happen I do think we're going to see changes here. Yes, we're in year 4, yes, Chevy isn't an active GM, yes, some don't see nor like the direction, etc, etc, etc... I get that. I know many don't want to hear a lot of this and at this point it's just fluff and they're tired of hearing it, I get that, too.

Ladd - Little - Frolik
Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Lowry - Byfuglien

When healthy, this top 9 should be able to score enough goals and compete.

Look at the LA Kings for example, while as a team they're strong and off to a fine start, their production on many players thus far is very limited. Small sample size.

Richards - 10 - 1 - 2- 3
Williams - 10 - 1 - 1 - 2
King - 10 - 1- 1- 2
Brown - 10 - 1 - 0 -1
Clifford - 10 - 0 - 1 - 1
Stoll - 10 - 0 - 0 - 0
Nolan - 9 - 0 - 0 -0
Andreoff - 7 - 0 - 0 - 0

Looking at that, one may wonder how the Kings are 6-2-2 after 10 games. They're a one-line hockey team offensively to this point but are strong in key areas besides scoring goals that they can make up for it.

Looking a bit deeper here at some of the basic numebrs, it's interesting...

Winnipeg stands 4th best in the league in shots against per game. LA stands 27th. Winnipeg stands 13th in the league in goals against per game. LA stands 2nd in the league (great goaltending!). Winnipeg's penalty kill ranks 10th best. LA's enalty kill ranks 12th best.

Winnipeg stands 14th in shots for per game. LA stands 19th. Winnipeg stands 27th in goals for per game. LA stands 26th. Winnipeg's PP ranks 26th. LA's ranks 21st.

Does this boil down to... better goaltending? :dunno: .. Do the underlying numbers show LA as being far superior to that of Winnipeg? some of the basic stats/numbers here show two pretty comparable teams in a lot of areas, on the outside anyway. Small sample size, but pretty similar in those numbers. On the inside (underlying numbers), I'm not so sure how we compare..

You better believe that the difference between us & LA has been goaltending. In the 8 games Quick has played this year, he's faced an average of 35.5 shots per game versus Pavs only facing 25.5/game in the 10 games he's played. That's 10 shots/per game less!

In spite of that huge advantage in shots, Pavs has given up more than half a goal more per game. And that's with Pavs currently playing at a .908 pace which I doubt he can sustain.

We'll never go anywhere as long as we have Pavs in net and that's a fact. If they want to buy some MORE time before they decide what they are going to do with him, I'm out. I just can't get behind this outfit as currently constructed, so count me in full time for a retool/tank

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Lots of positives last night:

KSW is going to be dynamite. They looked dangerous every shift out there and that's with Kane's rust. Give them two or three more games and watch out. (if they actually shoot the puck).

Postma continues to impress me. IMO he is our second or third best D out there the past two games. He looks like he's improved leaps and bounds this year.

The team as a whole looks more organized and energized all game long. Definitely buying into the team strategy and fitness work.

Pavs has been solid so far.

A couple of things still need work:

PP looked pretty good from a possession standpoint, but they still are looking for the one big shot from the point when they have plenty of looks from down lower with someone in front of the net.

Like many others have said, just shoot the damn puck when you don't have a good passing lane.

Overall pleased with our play last two games and overall things look to be improving.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Hurts to lose the extra point in that game, but I saw more positives than negatives overall.

Good road game, team played good overall. One nice bounce to get the second goal and it's close to a textbook road game.

3 out of 4 to start the road trip. On to the next.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Just so we're clear I'm not suggesting hanging Chevy on a poor early performance from the bottom 6. The bottom 6 has not performed at all they need to be better which isn't necessarily on Chevy.

However it's just yet another nail in Chevy's coffin as he has completely failed to address a weakness that has been present since the move. He has failed on almost every level this is just yet another one he has failed to improve upon.

Another nail in his coffin? Heh. He has nearly four years left to run on his contract and the backing of his employer. Just because they aren't running the team in a manner that you personally would agree with does not mean that they aren't running the team exactly as they wish, and that is their prerogative.

I get that people have wanted changes made to speed competitiveness, but it is my understanding that significant changes won't be made until they get a push from the prospects. When your kids push out vets, then you can move the vets to aid other areas. They need a solid foundation in other words prior to adding onto the house. Why shuffle deck chairs right now if you don't believe you are good enough relative to the balance of the league?

In the meantime, they must also balance the need to remain somewhat competitive against a sold out arena; those people didn't pay to watch a full rebuild.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think we are playing better defensively than we ever have before. Our team that previously liked saving energy for offense in transition and the D zone is now shutting teams down. At least in our road games. We needed to learn this before we'll be anything regardless of talent.

Back to the regular Pavelec bashing lmao

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think we are playing better defensively than we ever have before. Our team that previously liked saving energy for offense in transition and the D zone is now shutting teams down. At least in our road games. We needed to learn this before we'll be anything regardless of talent.

Agree 100% - learning and adhering to the team defence strategies being employed by Maurice will eventually become second nature. Once that happens, I think the offensive chances and output will return. Right now they're having trouble skating and chewing bubble gum, but I think that'll sort itself out once it's rote.

Back to the regular Pavelec bashing lmao

Luke_NOOOOOO.jpg

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I really hope Postma gets more and more minutes as the season goes on.

Stu is not a top 4 defensemen and tbh I wonder if Bogo is either. He has all the tools but not toolbox, regularly makes stupid decisions and doesn't know how to use his offensive talent to be effective. Postma should definitely be on the PP before him imo.

Thought the Jets looked okay tonight, but its the same old **** here, not good enough for playoffs not bad enough for bottom of the league.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Some people here have never played competitive hockey I think. Sometimes the better team loses, that's why the playoffs are seven game series. Both goalies had a great game, who gives a **** about a skills competition.

Scheif needs an empty net goal or a tap in. He is creating such beauty scoring chances and ringing it off the post or passing into a defender, I think he needs a lucky bounce to get going.

Postma looked great, Trouba looked great, Ladd had a tough game. What can you do. That tieing goal was just unfortunate the way I saw it, Ladd couldn't handle a nice breakout pass.

That was a forced pass by Trouba into Ladds skates, we were up 1-0 and the smart play was to take it behind the net. The moment Trouba released that pass I said "Oh No" out loud. Not sure why when the pressure was not on the back boards and Stewies was on the other side of the net, Trouba did not reverse the puck back around to Stewie. There was only 3.5 min left, they needed to go shutdown mode and slow it down.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Saw a good tight game.

Good goaltending, good defense, and a Jet team that couldn't put the puck in the ocean if they were on a boat in the middle of it.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I'm not exonerating the rest of the team nor am I saying Pavs played poorly. Simply the guy at the other end outplayed him.

Pavs was the better goalie last night, made more saves than Schneider, and made better saves as well. Not sure what you were watching but I don't think it was this game.

Does being outplayed mean making less saves? Weird.

Blows my mind some are trying to turn yesterdays goalie performance into a negative, like we expect more than a goal against per game. Guess that is why I tend to stay away from this board, skewed perspectives that make me shake my head.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Another nail in his coffin? Heh. He has nearly four years left to run on his contract and the backing of his employer. Just because they aren't running the team in a manner that you personally would agree with does not mean that they aren't running the team exactly as they wish, and that is their prerogative.

Every GM in the league has full backing of management until the second he doesn't and gets fired. That's how this business works.

I get that people have wanted changes made to speed competitiveness, but it is my understanding that significant changes won't be made until they get a push from the prospects. When your kids push out vets, then you can move the vets to aid other areas. They need a solid foundation in other words prior to adding onto the house. Why shuffle deck chairs right now if you don't believe you are good enough relative to the balance of the league?

Actually people seem to be completely ok not speeding competitiveness. In fact the opposite many people want to delay it to build a better foundation. The problem is that Jets are trying to do everything and accomplishing nothing. Teams don't stay competitive and rebuild at the same time. That doesn't work.

In the meantime, they must also balance the need to remain somewhat competitive against a sold out arena; those people didn't pay to watch a full rebuild.

What? Every team rebuilds and everyone knew that the team was a mess when arrived. The perfect time to rebuild was in the first years. All they've done is delay the rebuild to a point when fans won't be as understanding of a rebuild as they should have done it 4 years ago.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Every GM in the league has full backing of management until the second he doesn't and gets fired. That's how this business works.

Heh. Thanks for the business lesson. They just extended his contract last year though. His employer essentially as such just said they are more than willing to be patient and is tacitly endorsing a strategy that excludes short-term performance standards as an arbiter of when to make changes. You appear to want changes made yesterday, but they are simply biding their time until they get a push.

Yeah that wasn't me. I was merely responding to a post which quoted me in it.

You talk about the Kings on this board a great deal of the time, actually. This is not the only thread where that happens. Carry on as you wish.

johnnynucleo

SleepyBeepy
Aug 29, 2011
anyone have the audio of beyak screaming shoot the puck?

No, but that was hilarious. Even the biggest homer, couldn't help himself after Wheeler passed the puck into Severson's body.

Timing was great too, he was half way through a play by play sentence "SHOOT THE PUCK!", and carries on with his play by play call.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
you forgot tofolli and carter are in the top 10 for scoring. that helps immensely. plus quick is no slouch in net 1.78 ga and a .950 with 2 shutouts already.

i see your point that some main players are not contributing for the kings but they have the depth for one line and goaltending to carry the team. we do not.

I think the comparison goes a little closer than that. We also have the one line but we don't have the goaltending. We did last night. Unfortunately the 1 line didn't have their best game, didn't produce. Overall though that comparison to LA is interesting and holds up pretty well.

Last night we just couldn't score (again). I was hoping that having finally scored a few in the 2 preceding games they would loosen up and the scoring would come but apparently not. I think the over-passing and under-shooting is a result of the scoring frustration. They are trying too hard to make a shot where the goalie can't beat them instead of just shooting the puck.

The overall play, the zone times, the possession, the scoring opportunities appears good. The goaltending is still a little erratic but has been what should be good enough. But until the SH% gets to something more normal it is going to be very difficult to judge anything else.

What I guess we would see if the SH% were normal would be a defensively better team winning more often than it loses. The SA are reduced but they are still giving up too many very high quality opportunities. The goaltending is still not making enough saves on those high quality opportunities. I think those will also be reduced as the team adapts to new systems. They are coming off failure to stay with the systems which will become less frequent. At that point we would have the offense, the defense and no more excuses for the goaltending. It is either good enough or not. If it is like last night it is good enough.

All this is speculation assuming the puck starts going in the net. It remains to be seen if we can start scoring without giving up the improved defense and it remains to be seen if the goaltending is going to continue like last night (I know what history says about that). Right now the lack of scoring is very frustrating. It is masking any other problems we might have.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

By the way, all of the LA Kings chatter in a Jets post-game thread on a Jets board is pretty much OT is it not? Perhaps Kings talk is better served on another board? You seem to do a lot of that here? Boring, IMO.

I guess the million dollar question is can TNSE build up their prospect quantity and quality fast enough for the kids to push out the vets or will they just replace them at some point? Is prospect supply going to create a logjam or not?

To the second bolded part I do think TNSE want to remain competitive now to keep sales and demand as strong as possible. I don't think they want to take a step backwards with their stakeholders.

When I watch our organizations actions to date I believe we are 50-50. One foot in winning today and one foot in winning tomorrow. Hopefully it all works out but either way I am not going anywhere.

GJG

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Any road points are good points, I suppose.

I only saw the highlights. Sounds like Pavs was solid. Also, he made the highlight reel on the NHL channel for that diving over cross crease save with his glove (?).

He committed early and over committed on the shootout goal, though.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Once we get KSW to get going, we'll be just fine.

Wheeler and the Golden Boy have to pick it up, the Golden Boy tied for 312th in NHL scoring 10 games in is anything but good.

A trade to acquire any of about 25 other NHL teams #5 C drastically improves our 4th line C immediately. Put a fork in Slater he's done. His partner on the line mashed vegetables was done before he even started. A real 4th line with Galardi and two NHL level players would help the team immensely.

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Wheeler and the Golden Boy have to pick it up, the Golden Boy tied for 312th in NHL scoring 10 games in is anything but good.

A trade to acquire any of about 25 other NHL teams #5 C drastically improves our 4th line C immediately. Put a fork in Slater he's done. His partner on the line mashed vegetables was done before he even started. A real 4th line with Galardi and two NHL level players would help the team immensely.

Well IMO totally out to lunch picking on those two because they are basically all we have for offense most nights. Scheif has hit so many posts already; guy is snake-bitten that's all.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The bottom 6 is terrible which is something I thought Chevy was supposed to have fixed right?

Chevy can't fix it until he evaulates the top six, the defence, the goaltending, the P.A. and light guys, the trainer, the stick boy and the Zamboni driver. Give him a chance, he hasn't even had four years yet.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Well IMO totally out to lunch picking on those two because they are basically all we have for offense most nights. Scheif has hit so many posts already; guy is snake-bitten that's all.

Well they are supposedly your #1 line and the production out of both is sub-par, the biggest part of being an offensive player is the ability to put the puck in the net.

Board Bard: We've had 4 years to evaluate Chevy, my grade for him is an F!

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012

Scheif will break out- only so many times he can hit a post before a few go in. That being said- he is hilarious to watch just because he doubles for a Zamboni a lot. He is the least of my worries in our line up though.

Completely agree about our 4th line. It is scary to think that on the road these guys have to match up against a scoring line because of the last change.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
No, but that was hilarious. Even the biggest homer, couldn't help himself after Wheeler passed the puck into Severson's body.

Timing was great too, he was half way through a play by play sentence "SHOOT THE PUCK!", and carries on with his play by play call.

It was hilarious - and even more so for me because I was watching the game in a public place with lots of other people around chattering but for some reason there was a perfect lull in the chatter right at the same time as he yelled it. The timing was just right so that "shoot the puck" came through really clearly - people had a good laugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad