Post-Game Talk: #Streakbusters 2:1 Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Maurice has to to take over the PP himself or bring someone else in to run it, Vincent sucks and has since he got here!:shakehead
(

From what I've seen at practices I've been at, Maurice is quite involved in the PP.

Last edited:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Excuse the digression, but this is why I don't understand the McDavid talk; Pavelec was below average even by his standards last year, are people expecting him to be worse?

Me? I've got high hopes for a .908. Should be good for 10th in the West, 18th in the league, and 12th at the draft. I'm confident that there'll still be a game-changer available at 12th (whether or not they're identified by True North is another matter).

[mod] If there's a game-changer at 12th, there were probably 8 game-changers and 3 busts ahead of him, so we're (partially) cancelling out the draft picks of the teams ahead of us.

This is OT for sure, but in my mind, despite the fact that having a superstar player is no guarantee of success, whoever drafts McDavid this year is going to be a perennial contender. I don't know as much about Eichel, but what I have seen tells me he's a great player, but comparing him to McDavid seems unreasonable. Anybody who drafts after 1st is doing damage control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
IMO, very boring game, glad the JETS only play NJ twice a year, cuz i don't think I could watch many more Jets/Devils games than that. Very boring IMO.

Pavs was solid tonight and the reason the JETS got 1 point, anyone blaming PAV or saying Schneider out played him are crazy... Schneider made very easy saves, and on the ones where he would have had to make a more difficult save, The JETS were trying to get too cute, tic tac DOH... pretty much.

Wheeler always looks good, Scheif has played very good every game, he is being targeted out there by opposing teams, Other teams realize how good he is and he's still getting chances, eventually they will start to go in. Guy needs some puck luck for sure.

Like i said tho, Very boring game, not much excitement at all, boring crowd too, not much noise from that tiny crowd there in Newark. Honestly thought the Devils had the way better scoring chances tonight, Pavs had to make several top notch saves... Jets controlled the play but... wouldn't shoot the puck at all... tried to get too cute all the time, like they try to score the fancy goals, the HON type of goals, They just need to shoot more and stop trying to be so pretty, if they would have shot more tonight, they probably would have won because Schneider actually didn't look very good IMO, he made a couple ok saves but mostly everything he stopped he saw, Jets get lots of shots at times but not much traffic in front when they do, If a goalie sees it, he will stop it for the most part, Schneider has actually been pretty awful this year for NJ, pretty bad GAA this season, above 3 for sure.

If i could say one thing to the JETS.. it's this..SHOOT THE PUCK MORE!!!

One would think after scoring that fluky OT winner vs Colorado that they would have learned to just shoot the damn puck... Golden chances tonight for sure, thought they controlled the play at times but NJ had some grade A chances themselves and would actually shoot the puck.

[mod] gotta say anyone blaming Pavelec for the teams losses this season, outside of the Calgary game really, You are wrong. The team can't score 2 goals a game on average, You take that 6-2 opening night victory away and we are averaging like 2 goals a game, maybe even less.. You ain't gonna win much and for people to blame the goalie always... I don't know exactly what people expect? Do you want PAV to score too cuz dude is tied with the bottom 6 pretty much minus Lowry and Buff for goals.

Ain't gonna win much when you can't score goals or even shoot the puck or not hit the net if you do shoot the puck.

Blaming PAV in any way, or saying Schneider out played him tonight.. Must have watched a different game i guess cuz IMO, PAV and i'm not a huge fan of his at all, he kept the Jets in this game tonight. 3 out of 4 points on the road? Not too bad actually, if we could actually score 2 goals a game, we would have won but most nights, we can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
(...)

If i could say one thing to the JETS.. it's this..SHOOT THE PUCK MORE!!!

(...)

Y'know: I hate people at games who yell "Shoot!" all night, but last night, even I was yelling it. Seems Beyak and Hnidy agreed as well. Very strange - they really didn't seem to want to chuck a puck at the net.

Sometimes, good stuff happens when you do that. Heck: put it low, drive the net for a rebound.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
For me, it wasn't just that they weren't shooting the puck. It's more that they gave the puck away too often, trying to make the pass when they could have at least got a half-decent shot on net instead. Even worse, you could tell the pass wasn't there, but they went for it anyway.

Although that pass by Enstrom to Wheeler off the backhand.
Now that was pretty.

With Kane back, we should see a lot more SOG. He shoots everything. :laugh:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Y'know: I hate people at games who yell "Shoot!" all night, but last night, even I was yelling it. Seems Beyak and Hnidy agreed as well. Very strange - they really didn't seem to want to chuck a puck at the net.

Sometimes, good stuff happens when you do that. Heck: put it low, drive the net for a rebound.

Agreed. It was weird. For a line that loves to shoot and can shoot, KSW sure overpassed the puck. Wheeler had problems with shooting. Think he has an injury?

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Beyak may not be all that good, but I also watched the Pens/Kings game last night - I couldn't deal with the Pens home crew for a whole season, they are so bad it made me want to mute the broadcast.

Pavelec almost stole the game for the Jets - what more could you ask of a goalie?

Devils' hockey is still Devils' hockey. Different coach, almost all different players, and the Devils still play that awful boring hockey. The Jets looked better in the defensive and neutral zones though, so I think Maurice's systems are starting to be bought into by the players.

Had the Jets converted on any one of their glorious chances and gone up 2-0, we would be celebrating the shut-out win. Wheeler, Scheifele, Postma, Little all had chances to seal the win.

I'm no Pavelec fan, but insinuating he had anything to do with the loss is delusional, IMO. If Pavy continues playing like last night, Derfel may just win his bet!

Excepting the December win streak from the first season, this team hasn't been good or great or very consistent, but it sure seems like it's on the cusp of turning things around. Even though it was a SO loss last night, I can't remember feeling this upbeat about the future.

I'm a glass half-full guy, remember! :thumbu:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Posted before the game on AIH.

Meh ok but it doesn't make any difference...

Dustin Byfuglien – 10 – 2 – 1 – 3 (none of which came while in bottom 6)
Mathieu Perreault - 10 - 0 - 3 - 3 (none of which came while in bottom 6)
Adam Lowry – 10 – 1 – 0 – 1
TJ Galiardi – 10 – 0 – 0 – 0
Jim Slater – 10 – 0 – 0 – 0
Chris Thorburn – 10 – 0 – 0 – 0
Matt Halischuk – 5 – 0 – 0 – 0
Anthony Peluso – 2 – 0 – 0 – 0

Does that really make it better? Scheifele and Wheeler were on the ice for all 3 of Perreault's assists. Byfuglien's goals were a pass from Wheeler, breakaway while on ice with Ladd and Little and assist was while he was on D vs Avs.

The bottom 6 is terrible which is something I thought Chevy was supposed to have fixed right?

I don't disagree about the bottom 6 production, but for a guy who has been advocating significant change isn't subbing in O'Dell kind of like shuffling deck chairs. For a variety of reasons the only 2 players likely to be sent down and replaced by O'Dell are Galiardi and Halischuk. Those were the players he was competing against for a roster position. From what I saw last season and put in a similar role what O'Dell could offer would be almost indistinguishable from the other 2. I guess the Jets could give it a shot, but I'd prefer a more significant upgrade to the roster. IMO shuffling in and out AHL tweeners ain't going to make much of a difference.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
The fans are dealing with it by putting thousands of tickets up on Seat Exchange, and where hundreds go unsold.

This team is like the Hangover movies. First year was amazing, but 2 sequels later, we want a bit different script.

The tickets on Seat Exchange have already been sold and paid for so stating that they are going unsold is a blatant lie. Yes the season tickets holders cannot get money for the games they cannot go to but that is not TN's problem.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The tickets on Seat Exchange have already been sold and paid for so stating that they are going unsold is a blatant lie. Yes the season tickets holders cannot get money for the games they cannot go to but that is not TN's problem.

You have to admit though that TNSE is slowly killing all the positive that they have done, on ice product sucks with little to no improvement in 4 years, exorbitant concession charges with unnecessary increases year to year, ridiculous season ticket policies......

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
You have to admit though that TNSE is slowly killing all the positive that they have done, on ice product sucks with little to no improvement in 4 years, exorbitant concession charges with unnecessary increases year to year, ridiculous season ticket policies......

I am not sure if the positivity has changed that much... people still shout 'True North' at the games and lots of excitement among people going to the games. The day people stop screaming "True North" would be interesting LOL. Like any business they are trying to charge as much as they can until there is push back from the customers and that push back hasn't happened yet. I don't like their season ticket polices but we might be a handful. Nothing is going to change until people stop renewing their tickets - TN has all the power here.

Don't get me wrong... I would like to see a much improved product on the ice as well but I am willing to be patient for a few more years.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Bottom Six Production
Player – GP – G – A – PTS
Dustin Byfuglien – 10 – 2 – 1 – 3 (none which came while in bottom 6)
Adam Lowry – 10 – 1 – 0 – 1
TJ Galiardi – 10 – 0 – 0 – 0
Jim Slater – 10 – 0 – 0 – 0
Chris Thorburn – 10 – 0 – 0 – 0
Matt Halischuk – 5 – 0 – 0 – 0
Anthony Peluso – 2 – 0 – 0 – 0

And Eric O’Dell is in St. John’s because…reasons.

Lol keep defending your boy while the rest of us realize that Chevy has done nothing for the organization and this team needs a GM with the vision to implement a plan to win hockey games.

There's always an excuse for Chevy incompetence. One day, probably very soon, TNSE is going to wake up a realize excuses are not worth diddly in pro sports.

It is still so early, I think we need to let this play out a bit more before we go using a small sample size of this season to hang Chevy on. Let's just sit tight a bit longer here and see if any progress is made with Maurice at the helm here. If it doesn't happen I do think we're going to see changes here. Yes, we're in year 4, yes, Chevy isn't an active GM, yes, some don't see nor like the direction, etc, etc, etc... I get that. I know many don't want to hear a lot of this and at this point it's just fluff and they're tired of hearing it, I get that, too.

Ladd - Little - Frolik
Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Lowry - Byfuglien

When healthy, this top 9 should be able to score enough goals and compete.

Look at the LA Kings for example, while as a team they're strong and off to a fine start, their production on many players thus far is very limited. Small sample size.

Richards - 10 - 1 - 2- 3
Williams - 10 - 1 - 1 - 2
King - 10 - 1- 1- 2
Brown - 10 - 1 - 0 -1
Clifford - 10 - 0 - 1 - 1
Stoll - 10 - 0 - 0 - 0
Nolan - 9 - 0 - 0 -0
Andreoff - 7 - 0 - 0 - 0

Looking at that, one may wonder how the Kings are 6-2-2 after 10 games. They're a one-line hockey team offensively to this point but are strong in key areas besides scoring goals that they can make up for it.

Looking a bit deeper here at some of the basic numebrs, it's interesting...

Winnipeg stands 4th best in the league in shots against per game. LA stands 27th. Winnipeg stands 13th in the league in goals against per game. LA stands 2nd in the league (great goaltending!). Winnipeg's penalty kill ranks 10th best. LA's enalty kill ranks 12th best.

Winnipeg stands 14th in shots for per game. LA stands 19th. Winnipeg stands 27th in goals for per game. LA stands 26th. Winnipeg's PP ranks 26th. LA's ranks 21st.

Does this boil down to... better goaltending? :dunno: .. Do the underlying numbers show LA as being far superior to that of Winnipeg? some of the basic stats/numbers here show two pretty comparable teams in a lot of areas, on the outside anyway. Small sample size, but pretty similar in those numbers. On the inside (underlying numbers), I'm not so sure how we compare..

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
It is still so early, I think we need to let this play out a bit more before we go using a small sample size of this season to hang Chevy on. Let's just sit tight a bit longer here and see if any progress is made with Maurice at the helm here. If it doesn't happen I do think we're going to see changes here. Yes, we're in year 4, yes, Chevy isn't an active GM, yes, some don't see nor like the direction, etc, etc, etc... I get that. I know many don't want to hear a lot of this and at this point it's just fluff and they're tired of hearing it, I get that, too.

Ladd - Little - Frolik
Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Lowry - Byfuglien

When healthy, this top 9 should be able to score enough goals and compete.

Look at the LA Kings for example, while as a team they're strong and off to a fine start, their production on many players thus far is very limited. Small sample size.

Richards - 10 - 1 - 2- 3
Williams - 10 - 1 - 1 - 2
King - 10 - 1- 1- 2
Brown - 10 - 1 - 0 -1
Clifford - 10 - 0 - 1 - 1
Stoll - 10 - 0 - 0 - 0
Nolan - 9 - 0 - 0 -0
Andreoff - 7 - 0 - 0 - 0

Looking at that, one may wonder how the Kings are 6-2-2 after 10 games.

you forgot tofolli and carter are in the top 10 for scoring. that helps immensely. plus quick is no slouch in net 1.78 ga and a .950 with 2 shutouts already.

i see your point that some main players are not contributing for the kings but they have the depth for one line and goaltending to carry the team. we do not.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

OT And I can't get to MTSC without getting some BS ticket!

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
you forgot tofolli and carter are in the top 10 for scoring. that helps immensely. plus quick is no slouch in net 1.78 ga and a .950 with 2 shutouts already.

i see your point that some main players are not contributing for the kings but they have the depth for one line and goaltending to carry the team. we do not.

Absolutely. I didn't really forget Toffoli/Carter, I left them out on purpose as the leading scorers, just as Ladd/Little/Wheeler, etc were left out on our end. I'm more so looking at the depth/secondary scorers here between the two.

It's interesting. From the outside looking in, I see two pretty comparable teams in a lot of the basic numbers/areas here... through 10 games. But, one of those teams sits in the playoffs at 6th best in the league while the other sits picking 6th overall in the draft.

But... I also see a team with a goaltender who is damn good. If Winnipeg had Quick, or a #1 with say a SV% of 917-925... where do we stand? I know nobody knows this :)laugh:), but to see so many similarities here between LA/Winnipeg is alarming, even in a small sample size of 10 games. What if we continue being a solid and respectable team on the defensive side of the game, PK, etc? Are we a goaltender away from making some noise? We are no LA, and I'm not trying to say we are, not by any means. But I do wonder here how one team can do it with great goaltending, what could we do with a above average tender or even average #1 tender?

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Just so we're clear I'm not suggesting hanging Chevy on a poor early performance from the bottom 6. The bottom 6 has not performed at all they need to be better which isn't necessarily on Chevy.

However it's just yet another nail in Chevy's coffin as he has completely failed to address a weakness that has been present since the move. He has failed on almost every level this is just yet another one he has failed to improve upon. You are completely right it is a small sample size and will start to normalize somewhat but how much though? Decisions need to be made though and you cannot always wait for sample size to become big enough. This is part of Chevy's problems, no one takes 4 years to make any decisions.

As for LA comparaison they are...laughable? Stats may look kinda similiar right now due to as you say small sample size. Kings are better than Jets at each position from top to bottom of the roster.

And I personally disagree that a youngster still should be in AHL, a defenseman and a softer PP expert makes any kind of great 3rd line. Below average 3rd line at best.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Just so we're clear I'm not suggesting hanging Chevy on a poor early performance from the bottom 6. The bottom 6 has not performed at all they need to be better which isn't necessarily on Chevy.

However it's just yet another nail in Chevy's coffin as he has completely failed to address a weakness that has been present since the move. He has failed on almost every level this is just yet another one he has failed to improve upon. You are completely right it is a small sample size and will start to normalize somewhat but how much though?

As for LA comparaison they are...laughable? Stats may look kinda similiar right now due to as you say small sample size. Kings are better than Jets at each position from top to bottom of the roster.

And I personally disagree that a youngster still should be in AHL, a defenseman and a softer PP expert makes any kind of great 3rd line. Below average 3rd line at best.

I hear ya, Holden. I have long criticized Chevy too for not doing enough to incorporate respectable NHL quality depth. I do think we have it but I do think we're in a bit of a rut right now. Perhaps the offensive funk stems from the team learning and clamping down on the defensive side/systems of the game? But, to this point we do not have the goaltending to hold the fort and push us to wins, as LA does with Quick. We'll see as this sample size grows larger. Interesting though if into December and we're still showing pretty good defensive numbers as a team..

I do agree comparing LA/Winnipeg is laughable. But just how laughable? Again, the Kings are elite, and we are not the LA Kings. BUT, with the right fixes, or... fix (goaltending), just how close could this group be to a consistent playoff team? Goals for and against play a part in winning and losing games, so I do think these numbers hold water, PK, PP, shots against, shots for, etc. all play a part and these two teams line up very similar right now (again, small sample size). LA is elite. No question about it. I admire them and the position they're in as a franchise. Like I said though, not sure what the underlying numbers show between LA/Winnipeg, but from the outside looking in, they're quite comparable to this point................ besides goaltending? :dunno:

And I agree, the young player we currently have in the AHL with 102 points in his last 108 AHL regular season games (124 pts in 147 career regular season games)... should be here. I understand he missed pre-season and has missed games recently, but I really do hope at some point this season we see him back in Winnipeg.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Absolutely. I didn't really forget Toffoli/Carter, I left them out on purpose as the leading scorers, just as Ladd/Little/Wheeler, etc were left out on our end. I'm more so looking at the depth/secondary scorers here between the two.

It's interesting. From the outside looking in, I see two pretty comparable teams in a lot of the basic numbers/areas here.

But... I also see a team with a goaltender who is damn good. If Winnipeg had Quick, or a #1 with say a SV% of 917-925... where do we stand? I know nobody knows this :)laugh:), but to see so many similarities here between LA/Winnipeg is alarming, even in a small sample size of 10 games. What if we continue being a solid and respectable team on the defensive side of the game, PK, etc? Are we a goaltender away from making some noise? We are no LA, and I'm not trying to say we are, not by any means. But I do wonder here how one team can do it with great goaltending, what could we do with a above average tender or even average #1 tender?

well said!

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Not a bad game last night. Take the loser point... I guess.
Few concerns -
Scheif - not liking the hits he is taking.
Thorbs- 3rd line- STILL??
4th line- What's the point?
Stuart- Love this guy- but he is punching WAAAY above his weight class. Don't think this will help Troubs long term. Buff back on the D- just makes more sense.
Pavs- Good game.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I hear ya, Holden. I have long criticized Chevy too for not doing enough to incorporate respectable NHL quality depth. I do think we have it but I do think we're in a bit of a rut right now. Perhaps the offensive funk stems from the team learning and clamping down on the defensive side/systems of the game? But, to this point we do not have the goaltending to hold the fort and push us to wins, as LA does with Quick. We'll see as this sample size grows larger. Interesting though if into December and we're still showing pretty good defensive numbers as a team..

I do agree comparing LA/Winnipeg is laughable. But just how laughable? Again, the Kings are elite, and we are not the LA Kings. BUT, with the right fixes, or... fix (goaltending), just how close could this group be to a consistent playoff team? Goals for and against play a part in winning and losing games, so I do think these numbers hold water, PK, PP, shots against, shots for, etc. all play a part and these two teams line up very similar right now (again, small sample size). LA is elite. No question about it. I admire them and the position they're in as a franchise. Like I said though, not sure what the underlying numbers show between LA/Winnipeg, but from the outside looking in, they're quite comparable to this point................ besides goaltending? :dunno:

And I agree, the young player we currently have in the AHL with 102 points in his last 108 AHL regular season games (124 pts in 147 career regular season games)... should be here.

I've never this team was that far from a playoff team. There has been a couple rather easy to fix holes on this roster that could have had this team in playoffs years ago. It is not that far. Chevy has failed to address those holes though.

Don't really want to talk LA, but yeah they've had a bad start. Their defense, goaltending, depth, team play, etc is all just better. LA is a big pounding defensive team. WPG is a big fast quick attack offensive team. Just not seeing it. WPG doesn't need to emulate an LA in style to be successful, IMO.

And as to your last paragraph and KingBogo yes my O'Dell point was a little tongue in cheek. But he has shown more offense than anyone else up front in that bottom 6 besides Perreault (yes I'm including Byfuglien in this since he is not a good forward). Isn't it worth a chance? It is a super easy fix swapping O'Dell for Peluso and can hold the fort while getting a chance to either develop or a better option becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad