Post-Game Talk: #Streakbusters 2:1 Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
Wheeler and the Golden Boy have to pick it up, the Golden Boy tied for 312th in NHL scoring 10 games in is anything but good.

A trade to acquire any of about 25 other NHL teams #5 C drastically improves our 4th line C immediately. Put a fork in Slater he's done. His partner on the line mashed vegetables was done before he even started. A real 4th line with Galardi and two NHL level players would help the team immensely.

too many variables to agree...

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
I am not sure if the positivity has changed that much... people still shout 'True North' at the games and lots of excitement among people going to the games. The day people stop screaming "True North" would be interesting LOL. Like any business they are trying to charge as much as they can until there is push back from the customers and that push back hasn't happened yet. I don't like their season ticket polices but we might be a handful. Nothing is going to change until people stop renewing their tickets - TN has all the power here.

Don't get me wrong... I would like to see a much improved product on the ice as well but I am willing to be patient for a few more years.

They were booed off the ice in the first two homes games of the season...

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm actually feeling slightly more optimistic right now about the Jets. In spite of the fact that we've been without a top scorer since the 3 minute mark of game 1 and we're stuck in a pretty freakish scoring slump...we've still managed to put up the same record as the past two seasons first ten. On top of that, I've started to feel like the team is playing a bit different game than the past few seasons. They seem to be more composed and in control generally. With Kane back I actually like our top 3 lines. I'm hopeful that other teams have to spread their resources around to cover all three lines since they all have the potential to do some harm. That should open things up a bit for everybody.

So yes...I'm saying there's a chance...

dumb-and-dumber-jim-carrey.jpg

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I guess the million dollar question is can TNSE build up their prospect quantity and quality fast enough for the kids to push out the vets or will they just replace them at some point? Is prospect supply going to create a logjam or not?

To the second bolded part I do think TNSE want to remain competitive now to keep sales and demand as strong as possible. I don't think they want to take a step backwards with their stakeholders.

When I watch our organizations actions to date I believe we are 50-50. One foot in winning today and one foot in winning tomorrow. Hopefully it all works out but either way I am not going anywhere.

GJG

Jack of all trades, master of none.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
That was a forced pass by Trouba into Ladds skates, we were up 1-0 and the smart play was to take it behind the net. The moment Trouba released that pass I said "Oh No" out loud. Not sure why when the pressure was not on the back boards and Stewies was on the other side of the net, Trouba did not reverse the puck back around to Stewie. There was only 3.5 min left, they needed to go shutdown mode and slow it down.

If Trouba has a choice to make a short pass or reverse it to Stu on a heavy forecheck I hope he takes the pass most often. I'll have to watch it again but at the time I placed the blame on Ladd I don't think it was a bad pass but maybe you're right..

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am not sure if the positivity has changed that much... people still shout 'True North' at the games and lots of excitement among people going to the games. The day people stop screaming "True North" would be interesting LOL. Like any business they are trying to charge as much as they can until there is push back from the customers and that push back hasn't happened yet. I don't like their season ticket polices but we might be a handful. Nothing is going to change until people stop renewing their tickets - TN has all the power here.

Don't get me wrong... I would like to see a much improved product on the ice as well but I am willing to be patient for a few more years.

A few more years? Really? I believe in patience. I really do. But I thought the off-season just past was the time to make a move. It didn't happen. I managed to persuade myself to be patient one more year based on my hopes for Hutch and Morrissey. Well Morrissey was put off another year and Hutch hasn't been able to make a difference yet. This is the last year of my patience. After next off-season I will be pretty PO'd if there hasn't been some substantive progress made. This is our 4th year! We didn't start from 0. We were not an expansion team. It is high time we saw some action. I want play-offs. I want a team that commands a little respect around the league.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've never this team was that far from a playoff team. There has been a couple rather easy to fix holes on this roster that could have had this team in playoffs years ago. It is not that far. Chevy has failed to address those holes though.

Don't really want to talk LA, but yeah they've had a bad start. Their defense, goaltending, depth, team play, etc is all just better. LA is a big pounding defensive team. WPG is a big fast quick attack offensive team. Just not seeing it. WPG doesn't need to emulate an LA in style to be successful, IMO.

And as to your last paragraph and KingBogo yes my O'Dell point was a little tongue in cheek. But he has shown more offense than anyone else up front in that bottom 6 besides Perreault (yes I'm including Byfuglien in this since he is not a good forward). Isn't it worth a chance? It is a super easy fix swapping O'Dell for Peluso and can hold the fort while getting a chance to either develop or a better option becomes available.

Compare to Snow. Yes I know he is in a much different position with a loaded system but ...... He identified the weaknesses in his roster and targeted specific fixes for those holes. Chevy is now into his 4th year of evaluating what he has.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lots of positives last night:

KSW is going to be dynamite. They looked dangerous every shift out there and that's with Kane's rust. Give them two or three more games and watch out. (if they actually shoot the puck).

Postma continues to impress me. IMO he is our second or third best D out there the past two games. He looks like he's improved leaps and bounds this year.

The team as a whole looks more organized and energized all game long. Definitely buying into the team strategy and fitness work.

Pavs has been solid so far.

A couple of things still need work:

PP looked pretty good from a possession standpoint, but they still are looking for the one big shot from the point when they have plenty of looks from down lower with someone in front of the net.

Like many others have said, just shoot the damn puck when you don't have a good passing lane.

Overall pleased with our play last two games and overall things look to be improving.

I have liked the LOOK of much of our play. Our first 3 lines all LOOK like they should be scoring. Scheifele should have about a dozen goals by now. Our PP LOOKS like it should be scoring. How long is this inability to actually score going to go on? When it finally normalizes we are going to win a couple of games by scores like 11-2. What a waste! It will still only be 1 game. Our 3rd line is still getting trapped in our own end too much. Our team D is limiting the number of chances but too many of them are still too good. Our goaltending has still looked shaky even in the good games. Last night was the first game I thought Pavs looked confident and in control. Is it progress or just his standard inconsistency? I think we will soon know.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess the million dollar question is can TNSE build up their prospect quantity and quality fast enough for the kids to push out the vets or will they just replace them at some point? Is prospect supply going to create a logjam or not?

To the second bolded part I do think TNSE want to remain competitive now to keep sales and demand as strong as possible. I don't think they want to take a step backwards with their stakeholders.

When I watch our organizations actions to date I believe we are 50-50. One foot in winning today and one foot in winning tomorrow. Hopefully it all works out but either way I am not going anywhere.

GJG

Yes they want to remain competitive but have they? I think they have consistently fallen just a little short of that. To be competitive they would have to be making the play-offs. Not even getting in to the dance is not competing.

Trying to do everything, trying to please everyone and succeeding at nothing.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
No, but that was hilarious. Even the biggest homer, couldn't help himself after Wheeler passed the puck into Severson's body.

Timing was great too, he was half way through a play by play sentence "SHOOT THE PUCK!", and carries on with his play by play call.

I liked it when Beyak appeared to get riled by that; seems 'just like an average fan' that way. He also sounded noticeably annoyed when Enstrom passed it off when he had the puck right in the slot - like you could visualize him shaking his head. :shakehead

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm actually feeling slightly more optimistic right now about the Jets. In spite of the fact that we've been without a top scorer since the 3 minute mark of game 1 and we're stuck in a pretty freakish scoring slump...we've still managed to put up the same record as the past two seasons first ten. On top of that, I've started to feel like the team is playing a bit different game than the past few seasons. They seem to be more composed and in control generally. With Kane back I actually like our top 3 lines. I'm hopeful that other teams have to spread their resources around to cover all three lines since they all have the potential to do some harm. That should open things up a bit for everybody.

So yes...I'm saying there's a chance...

dumb-and-dumber-jim-carrey.jpg

I agree with this. In fact I think our play has been a little better than in the last 2 years. If not for the ****** SH% our record would reflect that.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
A few more years? Really? I believe in patience. I really do. But I thought the off-season just past was the time to make a move. It didn't happen. I managed to persuade myself to be patient one more year based on my hopes for Hutch and Morrissey. Well Morrissey was put off another year and Hutch hasn't been able to make a difference yet. This is the last year of my patience. After next off-season I will be pretty PO'd if there hasn't been some substantive progress made. This is our 4th year! We didn't start from 0. We were not an expansion team. It is high time we saw some action. I want play-offs. I want a team that commands a little respect around the league.

I'm in it for the long haul. Until I die, I figure. There will be bad stretches like this, where I may buy less tickets, but I will still buy tickets. And there will be good seasons, where I will buy a few more, admittedly.

But when you 'run out of patience', then what? Do you stop becoming a fan? Stop caring or following? Abandon this pleasant distraction of following a local sports team totally? Jump to another team? What sort of action can you take? Stop attending games to 'force the hand of the management'? I don't know if that ever works.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
IMO we lost a point, more than won one. Lost to a bad team.....again.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm in it for the long haul. Until I die, I figure. There will be bad stretches like this, where I may buy less tickets, but I will still buy tickets. And there will be good seasons, where I will buy a few more, admittedly.

But when you 'run out of patience', then what? Do you stop becoming a fan? Stop caring or following? Abandon this pleasant distraction of following a local sports team totally? Jump to another team? What sort of action can you take? Stop attending games to 'force the hand of the management'? I don't know if that ever works.

:laugh: Yeah, futile. I'm here until the dementia makes being a fan impossible. That may not be long. I can't afford a lot more patience. Quite seriously the grim reaper becomes a factor at my age.

When I lose patience the anti-Chevy postings become more vitriolic. That'll fix him! :) :laugh:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Compare to Snow. Yes I know he is in a much different position with a loaded system but ...... He identified the weaknesses in his roster and targeted specific fixes for those holes. Chevy is now into his 4th year of evaluating what he has.

Snow did what I've noticed a lot of GMs doing lately. He's been their GM for 8 years now and they were awful for the majority of it and he did little to help them and waited until he had that loaded system before bringing in players that would help the team. He didn't walk into a New York team with a loaded system, the system became loaded by him doing what you accuse Chevy of doing right now, which is sitting on his hands and waiting for high draft picks to pan out. He waited until the system was loaded and only then did he move to fill those holes. So maybe not the best comparison to get your point across.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Single point against an Eastern team with a better record than us. I'll take it. At this point in the season I'm more concerned with how we're playing as a team...there's more potential in this group this season than there was last year at this time...I can just tell.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes they want to remain competitive but have they? I think they have consistently fallen just a little short of that. To be competitive they would have to be making the play-offs. Not even getting in to the dance is not competing.

Trying to do everything, trying to please everyone and succeeding at nothing.

Yea I think they are scared to take a step backwards. I think up until this past season they probably felt close to the playoffs. Not sure what they are feeling now?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
:laugh: Yeah, futile. I'm here until the dementia makes being a fan impossible. That may not be long. I can't afford a lot more patience. Quite seriously the grim reaper becomes a factor at my age.
When I lose patience the anti-Chevy postings become more vitriolic. That'll fix him! :) :laugh:

The funny thing is that, if you took a poll, I'll bet you would find the young posters to be the most impatient and vitriolic.
At the risk of generalizing, I think age teaches you to appreciate what you have, and that an investment of time in anything important makes the end result sweeter.
As for your dementia, I wouldn't worry about it, as you won't remember whether we've won or lost anyway.:laugh:

PS-It appears to me as if you have become more patient since you first arrived here.:nod:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Snow did what I've noticed a lot of GMs doing lately. He's been their GM for 8 years now and they were awful for the majority of it and he did little to help them and waited until he had that loaded system before bringing in players that would help the team. He didn't walk into a New York team with a loaded system, the system became loaded by him doing what you accuse Chevy of doing right now, which is sitting on his hands and waiting for high draft picks to pan out. He waited until the system was loaded and only then did he move to fill those holes. So maybe not the best comparison to get your point across.

... it's a little early for me to commit my GM of the year vote to Snow. After all, his team just lost to Chevy's sorry team, and then lost 5-zip to the Avs.

Also, Snow drafted his "generational" player 6 years ago and they haven't exactly set the league on fire since then. Meanwhile, he's traded away his 1st round pick in the stacked 2015 draft for basically nothing, and that line-up doesn't look like a SC champion to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad