GDT: Stranger Things - Devils vs. Kings - 7:00PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
hahaha...Severson had a couple bad plays but he led the way by a mile in corsi. 73.9 CF%. Completely dominated play with him on the ice.
He had more than "a couple bad plays", he was turning the puck over all night. This is why just looking at a corsi stat from a single game is meaningless, it doesn't really tell you how they played.

Reactions: Patrik26

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I thought he played well for sure
I thought he played a decent game. There was one play where it looked like he was shot from a cannon coming from our end into the Kings zone...it’s frustrating that we don’t see that every shift from him. At times he moves like he’s one of our slowest forwards, but he has pretty good wheels.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He had more than "a couple bad plays", he was turning the puck over all night. This is why just looking at a corsi stat from a single game is meaningless, it doesn't really tell you how they played.

Depends how much they play and how they compare to the team score IMO. Severson played the least minutes on D (which can warp his totals) and was probably sheltered towards the end.

The problem with Severson has always been he makes costly turnovers, but he more often than not pushes the play up the ice.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Luckily I watched every second of the game and saw that we had the puck all night with Severson on the ice. He made a few blunders but probably 10 times as many subtle, positive plays to generate offense/get it out of the zone cleanly.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Does anyone have a good comparable to Bratt as far as playing style? I can't think of any. I'm excited for what he can become. He's so slick and exciting with the puck but so sound everywhere else too. I don't really see any holes in his game so far. His projection is skyrocketing.
Martin St. Louis?

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Best comparison for Bratt is probably Zuccarello.

St. Louis was a lot more fiery/flashy than Bratt.

I don't know, Zuccarello is definitely pretty fiery too haha. I think he is a pretty good comparison for playing style though. Just a little less sandpaper in Bratt's game so far at least.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't know, Zuccarello is definitely pretty fiery too haha. I think he is a pretty good comparison for playing style though. Just a little less sandpaper in Bratt's game so far at least.

Bratt's still young though. I'd expect him to develop some of the feistiness of Zuccarello as he gets older.

He (and Hischier) have shown a willingness to step up for teammates. I'd like to think both of them will develop more of an edge as they fill out and get older. Right now, they know they will get destroyed by some of the guys in this league.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Hey, you never know. He's only 19, he'll develop that fire as he takes the next step. :)

I can't believe what a gem Bratt is.

19 year old sixth round pick excelling in a first line wing role? It's still hard to believe. These are the kinds of picks that elluded us for so long. We finally got lucky. And the fresh take on drafting from the new scouting regime certainly helps as well.

Last edited:

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Bratt's still young though. I'd expect him to develop some of the feistiness of Zuccarello as he gets older.

He (and Hischier) have shown a willingness to step up for teammates. I'd like to think both of them will develop more of an edge as they fill out and get older. Right now, they know they will get destroyed by some of the guys in this league.

True. Zuccarello was also 23 when he was a rookie, so being more physically mature definitely helps add that element to your game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Luckily I watched every second of the game and saw that we had the puck all night with Severson on the ice. He made a few blunders but probably 10 times as many subtle, positive plays to generate offense/get it out of the zone cleanly.
We had the puck all night with most players last night. We controlled most of the game.

Severson has always been good at possession, but his turnovers often cost us goals and he needs to clean that up if he hopes to take the next step as a player. Just because it didn't cost us tonight, doesn't mean I'm not still concerned about it and it doesn't excuse that he was our worst defenseman in the game.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
He got crossed up with Moore coming out of the box. It could happen to any defenseman. Some people on this board talk about every turnover he makes so damn much that I swear it's all they're looking for with him.
I never talk about Severson but you’re damn right I’m going to complain about the terrible turnover that nearly changed the game. It was 0-0 and he coughed the puck up in the neutral zone. Moore didn’t touch Sevs, his stick, or the puck at all.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I definitely wouldn't call Bratt feisty, but he hardly shies away from going to the corners or grinding it out along the boards either.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We had the puck all night with most players last night. We controlled most of the game.

Severson has always been good at possession, but his turnovers often cost us goals and he needs to clean that up if he hopes to take the next step as a player. Just because it didn't cost us tonight, doesn't mean I'm not still concerned about it and it doesn't excuse that he was our worst defenseman in the game.
giphy.gif

No way. Orders of magnitude better than Greene and Santini.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Just what the doctor ordered last night, strong and needed W after they way they've played the last couple of weeks.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
giphy.gif

No way. Orders of magnitude better than Greene and Santini.
By what, possession stats? Greene and Santini played a safe game and gave up very few chances. The team had the puck more with Severson on the ice, but his blunders lead to some of the Kings best chances in the entire game.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I never talk about Severson but you’re damn right I’m going to complain about the terrible turnover that nearly changed the game. It was 0-0 and he coughed the puck up in the neutral zone. Moore didn’t touch Sevs, his stick, or the puck at all.

He didn't touch him, but it did throw him off and he made a mistake. The problem I have is that he gets crucified when he turns the puck over, but the same people crucifying him don't say a damn word about the numerous times per game he does something good with the puck. He's going to screw up more than a safe shutdown defenseman who wants to handle the puck as little as possible. That's a risk I'm willing to accept if he does more good than harm, which he usually does.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
By what, possession stats? Greene and Santini played a safe game and gave up very few chances. The team had the puck more with Severson on the ice, but his blunders lead to some of the Kings best chances in the entire game.
Greene played less at 5 on 5 than Severson and wasn't very good at all. Greene-Santini was same old, same old, a punching bag generating no offense. Vatanen, Moore, Severson, and Butcher were all good.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

DQ7v-IyWkAYr2So.jpg

Greene and Santini gave up 10 and 14 shot attempts respectfully

Severson gave up 7.

so, not really sure what you're referring to.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
DQ7v-IyWkAYr2So.jpg

Greene and Santini gave up 10 and 14 shot attempts respectfully

Severson gave up 7.

so, not really sure what you're referring to.
Shots from the outside and high quality shots like the ones Severson gave up are not equal. I'll take getting peppered with shots from the side wall all game over allowing multiple guys to skate up the middle of the ice and get a prime shot on Corey. We played so well defensively tonight because Severson was the only one giving up those chances, unlike our last few games where everyone was.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Shots from the outside and high quality shots like the ones Severson gave up are not equal. I'll take getting peppered with shots from the side wall all game over allowing multiple guys to skate up the middle of the ice and get a prime shot on Corey. We played so well defensively tonight because Severson was the only one giving up those chances, unlike our last few games where everyone was.

I mean thats just factually incorrect, but think whatever you want I guess

Like I said, people get this opinion of Severson that hes bad because he turns the puck over. You have to HAVE the puck to turn the puck over. Greene and Santini never have the puck, so they don't turn it over as much.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Should be noted that Severson and Butcher played the easiest 5v5 minutes. Sami prob played the toughest.

Context of those possession #'s need to be considered.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
severson is probably our best D at keeping the puck at the blueline and getting it deep. there are plenty of examples of him keeping the play alive and that's worth a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad