Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
My girlfriend and a couple of my friends gathered some money for my birthday to buy me a stick. I went home with the 2016 1X in my usual specs. Tried it a little bit yesterday, I love it for stickhandling. My favourite features on it is the round corners of the shaft and the very low kick.

Midvinter

Jul 15, 2011
What available stick is The most similar to mako 2, 75 flex?

I don't havet The best shooting mechanics. But the whipiness, and kickpoint on The mako 2 worked wonders for me.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It's not going to be the exact same, but I would suggest looking at a True A-series stick (i.e A6.0, A5.2, A4.5 etc.).

Reactions: Midvinter

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Kickpoint not as low as the 1X, shaft shape isn't as round and is a touch bigger. Blade feel is different as well; the 1X is more responsive imo.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Where is everyone buying sticks online these days? It seems like my usual go-tos have all raised their prices significantly. I'm always looking for older/clearance INT sticks in the $100-$150 price range. As recently as last year I used to get great sticks in that range. I'm currently using a Sherwood T120 that I got for like $130. Something changed though, now I can't find anything decent at that price range. And by decent I mean light. Weight is a big factor for me since I'm small.

Hockeymonkey was never cheap, but their clearance selection has been terrible lately, at least for righties. Hockeygiant and Purehockey seem to have merged, since they have the exact same website, stock and prices. Prices are up, of course. Icewarehouse has a lot of options, but nothing compelling in that price range.

So where are you all shopping?

Philip Kessel

Jun 10, 2015
Where is everyone buying sticks online these days? It seems like my usual go-tos have all raised their prices significantly. I'm always looking for older/clearance INT sticks in the $100-$150 price range. As recently as last year I used to get great sticks in that range. I'm currently using a Sherwood T120 that I got for like $130. Something changed though, now I can't find anything decent at that price range. And by decent I mean light. Weight is a big factor for me since I'm small.

Hockeymonkey was never cheap, but their clearance selection has been terrible lately, at least for righties. Hockeygiant and Purehockey seem to have merged, since they have the exact same website, stock and prices. Prices are up, of course. Icewarehouse has a lot of options, but nothing compelling in that price range.

Are you in the US/Canada? If so, sidelineswap is a good option. Website where you can post new/used gear. Managed to grab a few prostock sticks (1x,ST,ST2.0) for about $100 CDN per. You're meant to ship through the website I believe but I just ended up meeting the guy as he was right by me. You can sort by CDN/US based sellers as it obv affects prices.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Have you guys seen the new Vapor Advance from Bauer? It's insane, 355 grams!

I went by my LHS today for a skate sharpening, and they had 1 senior left-handed Vapor Advance left on the display so I got to hold it for a handful of minutes.

Insane isn't the word, it's like holding air. The other thing I noticed was the taper at the bottom seemed VERY thin, I didn't eyeball it next to a normal Vapor 1X but it caught my eye.

The other thing that caught my eye.....the price-tag. $399.99 CAD (which would be 459.98 taxes in).

Needless to say I didn't even consider buying it at that price. The was a mother there with her two teenage sons, and they walked out with two, basically dropping $920 on two hockey sticks. Crazy, I guess if you got the money whatever but no chance I'd ever drop that kinda coin on a hockey stick.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Check out Hockey Stick Man. I believe (and I could be wrong) that's he's based in Canada but his prices are all in USD.

Pro Stock Hockey Sticks - Large Selection - Best Prices on the Web

Great selection of Pro Stock sticks, which IMO, if you can find what you want, is the best bang for your buck.

Problem is you can' always get what you want if you are looking for specific specs. I have two pro-stocks now (a UltraTacks and a RBZ Stage 2) but am consistently on the look-out for a CCM Ribcore (Reckoner, Trigger 1 or 2) with a flex 75 or below, with a P-38 curve, haven't come across it yet.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I went by my LHS today for a skate sharpening, and they had 1 senior left-handed Vapor Advance left on the display so I got to hold it for a handful of minutes.

Insane isn't the word, it's like holding air. The other thing I noticed was the taper at the bottom seemed VERY thin, I didn't eyeball it next to a normal Vapor 1X but it caught my eye.

The other thing that caught my eye.....the price-tag. $399.99 CAD (which would be 459.98 taxes in).

Needless to say I didn't even consider buying it at that price. The was a mother there with her two teenage sons, and they walked out with two, basically dropping $920 on two hockey sticks. Crazy, I guess if you got the money whatever but no chance I'd ever drop that kinda coin on a hockey stick.

I might get to try it for free, I know a guy who works in Bauer's R&D department and he has one.

I wouldn't drop $400 on a hockey stick, my skills don't justify any purchase over $200, but damn, it's not that much more expensive than the 1X Lite. I could see a high demand for it from elite players if they released more of it to the public. From my understanding, it's only a limited edition product for now.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Idk if its just me but I have a Warrior Alpha QX in senior (75 cut down to like 85) and an INT 70 not cut.

I feel like the INT is stiffer than my SR with a higher flex lol.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Idk if its just me but I have a Warrior Alpha QX in senior (75 cut down to like 85) and an INT 70 not cut.

I feel like the INT is stiffer than my SR with a higher flex lol.
No, it's not just you. I have an AK27 SL (QX Pro base model) in 70 flex, but I feel it plays stiffer than that.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Warrior is light years ahead of all the other stick manufacturers right now. Started with the QR1 and carried into the QRL. The performance and durability of these sticks cannot be beat.

I haven't tried the most recent Vapors, but given my experience with their APX sticks, Bauer would have to give me free sticks to even consider switching.... Those sticks might as well have been made of paper for how durable they were.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Warrior is light years ahead of all the other stick manufacturers right now. Started with the QR1 and carried into the QRL. The performance and durability of these sticks cannot be beat.

I haven't tried the most recent Vapors, but given my experience with their APX sticks, Bauer would have to give me free sticks to even consider switching.... Those sticks might as well have been made of paper for how durable they were.

The APX had poor durability for everyone but my 1N is still functional after a year and half of abuse. The toe is chipped but the shaft is in good shape. My APX2 lasted 7 months including a training camp under which it took a lot of damage.

Bauer isn't bad durability wise on average, but sometimes you run into a bad batch of sticks that just breaks on you.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I have been shopping occasionally for new hockey sticks.
Now, I got a Warrior W88 Zetterberg 85.
It was one of the most flat stick blade... and it is what I am looking for... well, kinda.
Where are places or what are brands of sticks with the most flat stick blade.
I simply think it helps with my game... and my shot.

Warrior Dynasty Ax4 LT Grip Senior Hockey Stick W88 Zetterberg Flex 85 Left | eBay
Your post is kind of confusing. You are looking for a curve flatter than the W88? If so, see page one of this Guide for the curve chart, you'd be looking for the W01 and its equivalents in other brands. It's a relatively common curve.

Reactions: Fixxer

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Your post is kind of confusing. You are looking for a curve flatter than the W88? If so, see page one of this Guide for the curve chart, you'd be looking for the W01 and its equivalents in other brands. It's a relatively common curve.

I'm playing ball hockey. My first stick was a wooden stick with a nearly flat stick blade. I am aware that the curve on my current stick is pretty common. I find the ball goes high too easily with such a stick.

I just figured out I could use a plastic one... but quality one. Not these cheap a few $ sticks. The good ones can be solid and have that stick blade curve that is adjustable. Might do the trick.. but WHERE to buy???

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm playing ball hockey. My first stick was a wooden stick with a nearly flat stick blade. I am aware that the curve on my current stick is pretty common. I find the ball goes high too easily with such a stick.

I just figured out I could use a plastic one... but quality one. Not these cheap a few $ sticks. The good ones can be solid and have that stick blade curve that is adjustable. Might do the trick.. but WHERE to buy???
Unless you find a pro stock stick with a blade nearly flat, then the PM9/W01 equivalents are your best bet!

Reactions: Fixxer

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I think I'll stick with mine which is not that bad after having a look at other sticks. Otherwise, I'll get a plastic stick with a blade that can be curved manually. There are even some where I play... real old trashed and broken stuff. lol

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
My Revolution has a hollowed out toe, so CCM is sending me a Ribcor Trigger 2 PMT, has anyone used the PMT? How does it compare to the revolution?

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
Looking for a new stick. Mind is set on a Bauer Vapor, P28 (left shot). Currently use a Nexus P19.

Looks like I see a 2016 x700 for $69 and a current year model x700 lite for $109.

Thoughts on either and would a x900 really be that much of a step up? X1 is definitely out of the question.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Looking for a new stick. Mind is set on a Bauer Vapor, P28 (left shot). Currently use a Nexus P19.

Looks like I see a 2016 x700 for $69 and a current year model x700 lite for $109.

Thoughts on either and would a x900 really be that much of a step up? X1 is definitely out of the question.
What Nexus model are you using now?

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
What Nexus model are you using now?

I think it’s a N8000 from maybe 16? The model designation is up top and I’ve got it taped over. I did a google search and I can’t really find a matching stick. If I remember correctly, it ran me about $129 when it was new about a year or so ago.

And correction, I’m using a P14 Towes. Not a P19.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well you'll be using a heavier/lower end stick if you go for the X700 in either iteration. If you can find an older model X900 in your specs, that would be a good lateral transition from your N8000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad