Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Picking up a new stick for the kid's bday next month. He has hit 13 and I figured I would grab him a nice twig for next season. He is pretty much a grinder/agitator type player. He is in front of the net for deflections/rebounds, passes puck to stronger stickhandles to exit zone and gets the odd quick shot off from the slot.

There is a few decent sales on Hockey Supremacy and Sports Chek right now.
He played with an entry level nexus the last two seasons.

deciding between the following Int sticks and probably go 60-70 flex as he is tall for his age and roughly 120-140

Rekker EK60 - 119$

True A4.5 SBP - 99$

Vapor X800 griptec - 74$

From looking at some things the Rekker and True seem to be the way to go as they are one pieces and the EK60 sounds like it can take a beating for stick play in front of the net. But the Vapor x800 sounds like it has more low kick and could help him with his shot a bit.

any suggestions?

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
Well you'll be using a heavier/lower end stick if you go for the X700 in either iteration. If you can find an older model X900 in your specs, that would be a good lateral transition from your N8000

So I ordered the X700 Lite before I really read your response. Coincidentally, pure hockey sent me an email advertising lefty sticks. Found the stick I currently have, pretty sure it’s simply a Nexus 8000.

Bauer Nexus 8000 Composite Stick [Senior] | Pure Hockey Equipment

Looks like that stick is 420 grams

Best I can tell the x700 Lite is 448 grams. Definitely a lower end stick by a couple of tiers.

Hope the curve and lower kick point makes up for it. I was trying to improve on a set up I already liked (mid toe curve) with a more aggressive toe curve and a low kick point for better toe drags and wrist shots.

A little worried now. Stick doesn’t make the player, but confidence does. I might not like the feel of a slightly heavier stick and just go back to where I was. Oh well.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
So I ordered the X700 Lite before I really read your response. Coincidentally, pure hockey sent me an email advertising lefty sticks. Found the stick I currently have, pretty sure it’s simply a Nexus 8000.

Bauer Nexus 8000 Composite Stick [Senior] | Pure Hockey Equipment

Looks like that stick is 420 grams

Best I can tell the x700 Lite is 448 grams. Definitely a lower end stick by a couple of tiers.

Hope the curve and lower kick point makes up for it. I was trying to improve on a set up I already liked (mid toe curve) with a more aggressive toe curve and a low kick point for better toe drags and wrist shots.

A little worried now. Stick doesn’t make the player, but confidence does. I might not like the feel of a slightly heavier stick and just go back to where I was. Oh well.
No, the N8000 is a level below the Nexus 8000. Name's confusing, I know.

Tough to tell without shooting around with it first!

Picking up a new stick for the kid's bday next month. He has hit 13 and I figured I would grab him a nice twig for next season. He is pretty much a grinder/agitator type player. He is in front of the net for deflections/rebounds, passes puck to stronger stickhandles to exit zone and gets the odd quick shot off from the slot.

There is a few decent sales on Hockey Supremacy and Sports Chek right now.
He played with an entry level nexus the last two seasons.

deciding between the following Int sticks and probably go 60-70 flex as he is tall for his age and roughly 120-140

Rekker EK60 - 119$

True A4.5 SBP - 99$

Vapor X800 griptec - 74$

From looking at some things the Rekker and True seem to be the way to go as they are one pieces and the EK60 sounds like it can take a beating for stick play in front of the net. But the Vapor x800 sounds like it has more low kick and could help him with his shot a bit.

any suggestions?
Honestly? Don't think too much on it at this stage, especially about kickpoints. What's more important is getting that stick at the right length/flex to allow him to utilize it properly. Too often parents buy their kids sticks that are too long/stiff with the idea that they'll either 'grow into it' like skates.

You've selected three sticks at different tiers. The EK60 was a top end model and incredibly light. It might be your best value. The A4.5 is a mid-high end model and is a fantastic all-around stick with great balance for its pricepoint. The X800 is a mid-end model; not much to write home about. If you don't particularly care about price, I would skip the X800. You can't go wrong with either the Sherwood or True, so focus on seeing if those models are available in the right flex/curve.

Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
No, the N8000 is a level below the Nexus 8000. Name's confusing, I know.

Tough to tell without shooting around with it first!

Honestly? Don't think too much on it at this stage, especially about kickpoints. What's more important is getting that stick at the right length/flex to allow him to utilize it properly. Too often parents buy their kids sticks that are too long/stiff with the idea that they'll either 'grow into it' like skates.

You've selected three sticks at different tiers. The EK60 was a top end model and incredibly light. It might be your best value. The A4.5 is a mid-high end model and is a fantastic all-around stick with great balance for its pricepoint. The X800 is a mid-end model; not much to write home about. If you don't particularly care about price, I would skip the X800. You can't go wrong with either the Sherwood or True, so focus on seeing if those models are available in the right flex/curve.

Thanks for the advice. Thought I may as well stock up now while everything is getting cheaper.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Any thoughts on the Sher-Wood Rekker EK60? It's on sale for a pretty good price here (around $100 before tax). It's light weight for the price intrigues me. Currently I have a Warrior Covert QRL Pro.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Any thoughts on the Sher-Wood Rekker EK60? It's on sale for a pretty good price here (around $100 before tax). It's light weight for the price intrigues me. Currently I have a Warrior Covert QRL Pro.

I love the rekker line and will continue to to use that line as long as they make the sticks. The first time I used the ek15 I fell in love and haven't used another stick (ek60 doesn't count as another stick) since.

I really wish they would make more vintage sticks, that ek15 vintage was just beautiful.

If I could make one complaint about them is that they don't last as long as you'd like. I usually go through 2 or 3 a season but when I was breaking them that often I was playing 4-7 times a week so that could be why.

I'm excited to go out and get the new one cause I've never been dissatisfied.

I've even gotten a few other people to buy them and they absolutely love them.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Ever since I snapped my RBZ stage 2's, I've been sad there isnt a stick that I like as much as those bad boys. Feels bad man

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I love the rekker line and will continue to to use that line as long as they make the sticks. The first time I used the ek15 I fell in love and haven't used another stick (ek60 doesn't count as another stick) since.

I really wish they would make more vintage sticks, that ek15 vintage was just beautiful.

If I could make one complaint about them is that they don't last as long as you'd like. I usually go through 2 or 3 a season but when I was breaking them that often I was playing 4-7 times a week so that could be why.

I'm excited to go out and get the new one cause I've never been dissatisfied.

I've even gotten a few other people to buy them and they absolutely love them.
Thanks for the input. Right now it's between another Warrior Covert QRL Pro, the Sherwood ek60 or a Bauer Nexus 1n. They have all three for sale in town, I'm just not entirely sure which way I want to go. I've had nothing but good things with Warrior so I have troubles switching, but I would like to try something new.

As for the endurance issue you stated, I've broken maybe 2 or 3 sticks in 22 years of hockey so I'm not too worried.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Between the 3, I would say the main difference would be the kickpoint. The QRL Pro has a concentrated low kick; best for quick release wristers and snappers. The 1N is a mid-kick, so better for loading up heavier wristers or slap shots. The EK60 markets as a low kick, but I don't think it's as tailored as the QRL Pro.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ever since I snapped my RBZ stage 2's, I've been sad there isnt a stick that I like as much as those bad boys. Feels bad man

If you shoot left, Hockey Stick Man still has some left, pro stocks, on for $99.

mofosho1992

Mar 23, 2018
I'm currently deciding between a Sherwood Rekker and a Warrior Covert QRL. I'm looking for a stick with a low kickpoint as I usually take quick shots on the rush. I'm only 5'6" and not very strong, so flexing the stick can be a bit tough for me. Any other stick suggestions would be welcome!

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'm currently deciding between a Sherwood Rekker and a Warrior Covert QRL. I'm looking for a stick with a low kickpoint as I usually take quick shots on the rush. I'm only 5'6" and not very strong, so flexing the stick can be a bit tough for me. Any other stick suggestions would be welcome!
Well I'm about your height, 145 lbs. I use a Warrior Covert QRL Pro 55 flex intermediate. I usually leave my stick a bit longer so this was a bit too whippy for me. Nothing but good things to say about the stick though, huge fan of warrior products. Can't speak on the Sherwood besides it being one of the lightest sticks you can get right now.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I'm 5'5. IMHO if you're choosing between a QRL and a Rekker, I'd go with the QRL. Its low kick point is even lower than the Rekker's and is way easier to load.

I find all other sticks brands, even when they're the same flex, are tougher to load up. Though the one stick I haven't had a chance to try is the Trigger2.

If you're not in a hurry, Warrior is coming out with a new version of the QRL soon, the QR Edge, that's supposed to be even easier to load because of a redesign of the shape of the shaft.

mofosho1992

Mar 23, 2018
I'm 5'5. IMHO if you're choosing between a QRL and a Rekker, I'd go with the QRL. Its low kick point is even lower than the Rekker's and is way easier to load.

I find all other sticks brands, even when they're the same flex, are tougher to load up. Though the one stick I haven't had a chance to try is the Trigger2.

If you're not in a hurry, Warrior is coming out with a new version of the QRL soon, the QR Edge, that's supposed to be even easier to load because of a redesign of the shape of the shaft.

Thanks! The QRL seems to be the way to go. I found one on prostockhockey.com for only $109, which isn't too bad. Does anyone know if that site is legit?

mofosho1992

Mar 23, 2018
Well I'm about your height, 145 lbs. I use a Warrior Covert QRL Pro 55 flex intermediate. I usually leave my stick a bit longer so this was a bit too whippy for me. Nothing but good things to say about the stick though, huge fan of warrior products. Can't speak on the Sherwood besides it being one of the lightest sticks you can get right now.

Do you know what the difference is between the QRL4, 5, etc.? Is there one that is better than the other or are they extremely similar to the layman?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Do you know what the difference is between the QRL4, 5, etc.? Is there one that is better than the other or are they extremely similar to the layman?
QRL 5 would be the lowest end version. Usually heavier, but a lot cheaper. Then you go up QRL 4, QRL 3, QRL Pro then QRL. Generally speaking the QRL would be "better" than the QRL 5, but it really depends on how good you are, how often you play, and how much you're willing to spend.

The higher end ones will have a bit more features within the blade and shaft technology while being lighter. I play 3-5 times a week and I have had both a QR 3 (the older model before QRL) and QRL Pro - the differences are not very noticeable between the two besides weight.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
To add to what WithOutPaperss said.

I currently own a QRL, QRL3, and a QRL4. I find that the blades as you go up towards the top tier version of the stick get a bit stiffer. It also feels to me like the lower versions of the stick don't have as much crispness when they snap back from flexing them as the higher end versions. I also find that they do feel a tad softer/easier in the flex.

Here's a link below to thread on another site that talks about prostock hockey.

Prostockhockey.com

mofosho1992

Mar 23, 2018
To add to what WithOutPaperss said.

I currently own a QRL, QRL3, and a QRL4. I find that the blades as you go up towards the top tier version of the stick get a bit stiffer. It also feels to me like the lower versions of the stick don't have as much crispness when they snap back from flexing them as the higher end versions. I also find that they do feel a tad softer/easier in the flex.

Here's a link below to thread on another site that talks about prostock hockey.

Prostockhockey.com
Have you tried the Warrior Alpha QX stick? If so, how does it compare to the QRL? I looked at the Alpha QX at Total Hockey over the weekend and it felt great, but the cost was extremely high for me, as I only play once or twice a week.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Have you tried the Warrior Alpha QX stick? If so, how does it compare to the QRL? I looked at the Alpha QX at Total Hockey over the weekend and it felt great, but the cost was extremely high for me, as I only play once or twice a week.

I'm using a QX right now as my primary stick. I wasn't too hot on it at first, but I've grown to really like it. It doesn't have the same quick release as the QRL, but I find the hosel a little more stable, as in the chances of the blade opening up on me when I lean into a shot are less.

It's still a low kick stick, but just not as low as the QRL, which is really low, and not as high as a mid-kick stick.

In terms of price, I think if you look at the QX Pro or the QX3 and see if you can find a sale, you can find them at a digestible price. I believe Warrior doesn't have a manufacturer's enforced minimal price like CCM and Bauer, so it won't be as hard finding them on sale, especially when the QX has been out for a year and the new model of the QRL is about to come out.

Also if you're open to going down to junior sticks, the prices drop even further. A few years ago, I was experimenting with stick flexes and tried using a junior stick. It was a pretty big adjustment, but once the growing pains were out of the way, I was glad I made the change. My shot got way better, and my wallet was way happier. It's definitely not for everyone, but something to consider.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm using a QX right now as my primary stick. I wasn't too hot on it at first, but I've grown to really like it. It doesn't have the same quick release as the QRL, but I find the hosel a little more stable, as in the chances of the blade opening up on me when I lean into a shot are less.

It's still a low kick stick, but just not as low as the QRL, which is really low, and not as high as a mid-kick stick.

In terms of price, I think if you look at the QX Pro or the QX3 and see if you can find a sale, you can find them at a digestible price. I believe Warrior doesn't have a manufacturer's enforced minimal price like CCM and Bauer, so it won't be as hard finding them on sale, especially when the QX has been out for a year and the new model of the QRL is about to come out.

Also if you're open to going down to junior sticks, the prices drop even further. A few years ago, I was experimenting with stick flexes and tried using a junior stick. It was a pretty big adjustment, but once the growing pains were out of the way, I was glad I made the change. My shot got way better, and my wallet was way happier. It's definitely not for everyone, but something to consider.
I agree with this.

If I could suggest a particular model, try to find the AK27 SL, which is a limited edition run based on the QXPro, but lighter. I've used it a handful of times so far. Decent stick, but I prefer my QRL.

mofosho1992

Mar 23, 2018

I went with the QRL. I'm hoping to notice a difference! That's an interesting thought going down to the junior sticks. What flex did you get? Did you have to get a plug for the end to make the stick longer? I'll admit, I am extremely weak and not adept at flexing the stick so the thought of moving to an even lower flex intrigues me.

Thanks everyone for the help!

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I went with the QRL. I'm hoping to notice a difference! That's an interesting thought going down to the junior sticks. What flex did you get? Did you have to get a plug for the end to make the stick longer? I'll admit, I am extremely weak and not adept at flexing the stick so the thought of moving to an even lower flex intrigues me.

Thanks everyone for the help!

I use a 50 flex, and have used 45 and 40 flex sticks. I'm still experimenting a little, but I think 40 might be too whippy for me, but the other two flexes have been fine.

I do use plugs, but the need depends on the brand of stick you buy and your height preference. For a while I used 52" sticks, so CCM sticks were good to go off the rack. But since, I've decided to add an inch, so the sticks I use are 53" thus the need for a plug.

Each brand, each line, and each flex, of junior sticks is unique in how long they are off the rack. For example, a True 50 flex junior stick is 54" off the rack, but a 40 flex junior is 52". All warrior junior sticks are 50" off the rack. And the variance goes on, usually ranging from 54" to 49" off the rack

Like I mentioned, there is an adjustment, the junior blades are smaller, and the shaft dimensions are too. When I first thought about making the change, I went out and bought a cheap junior stick that was on sale and fiddled with it for a bit. I liked the flex. The shaft dimensions were fine because I have small hands, but the blade felt too small and sometimes too soft. I gave up on the idea for a bit, util I finally got fed up with trying to make my intermediate sticks work. I committed to the change, and I'm glad I did.

One thing that happened when I switched to juniors was I started to notice almost every difference in the features of each stick more, and each difference mattered more. For example, I noticed that CCM sticks tend to have the stiffest blades. They're so stiff, they feel like intermediate blades. But for me, that's good, because a softer blade sometimes opens up on me when I need to do something like one-time a shot.

Any ways hope this helps a bit. If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to blab away more. Over the years, I've done lots of experimenting with many different brands of junior sticks, and have an opinion or two, but no guarantees about the opinions being right. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: AIREAYE

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I'm not sure how people can use 50 flex sticks. I take it none of you take faceoffs.... lol

I take plenty. I'm a centre. Win my fair share too. During the tough matchups I choke down to the blade. That solves 90% of the problems.

The other 10% I swap sticks. The Super Tacks 2.0 and the RBz have really stiff blades and hosels and perform as well as any intermediate stick, so the other centre can't overpower my blade.

If it's not a tough matchup, easy-peasy. I just win it clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad