Prospect Info: Steve Santini

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
As concerned as I am about the growing, gaping talent hole up front, I love this pick. We've got a lot of 2-way D types coming up, so a mobile shutdown guy is a nice balance. I only love this pick in a vaccuum, though. We desperately need forwards, did little to address it this year, and are hamstrung without a first next year.

I'm no-where near as impressed with Ryan Kujawinski honestly..

It's not even the articulate part.. he really seems to have a good head on his shoulders and understanding of his role.

Repeated allusions to "years" before he makes an impact on the NHL level.. he's not pretending that he's good enough yet and knows he has a lot of work to put in.

It's virtually impossible to find anyone at #73 that is ready to step right in. Might as well go for raw talent.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Thrilled by this Santini pick.
I covered the U18 World and he was terrific. He shut down the best forwards of the tournament, who were absolutly invisible in the semis and finals.
Great positionning, patience, cutting the lines, blocking shots, hitting.

Great pick !

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
Some more thoughts on the selection of Santini at #42 from chrismpeters who runs unitedstatesofhockey.com. Knows a lot about the players from the USNTDP.

42. Steven Santini — New Jersey Devils: After trading away the ninth overall pick for Cory Schneider, Steven Santini was the Devils first pick in the draft and boy is it ever a good one. I think this might be the match made in heaven as Santini is just the kind of player Lou Lamoriello loves. A defense-first defenseman with high-end skating ability and physical skills, Santini is reliable. He was the best defenseman at the World U18 Championship this year and put on one of the finest performances I’ve seen in five years at the tournament without notching a single point. To me, he was first-round worthy. Instead, he’s terrific value at 42.

Hopefully we'll get the same value as we did with Severson last year. This pick does sound pretty promising even though we had a need for a forward.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Some more thoughts on the selection of Santini at #42 from chrismpeters who runs unitedstatesofhockey.com. Knows a lot about the players from the USNTDP.

Hopefully we'll get the same value as we did with Severson last year. This pick does sound pretty promising even though we had a need for a forward.

In the highlight video, he managed to negate a possible breakaway opportunity without taking a penalty. He didn't even come CLOSE to taking a penalty on that play and it was a recovery play to boot, where the puck got behind him and the opposing forward went for the breakaway chance. Poise up the wazoo, but still plays with urgency. AWESOME.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Comparable to Santini

I really like the pick. Button was on when we made it. Said his desire to win is insane. Physcial guy, looked up to Scott Stevens. Im not sure of a comparable though

Your comparison to Santini? Rod Langway. This kid is a can't miss shut-down stud, his competitiveness is off the charts. ISS had him ranked #17, leading his description with the telling quote: "we never get tired of pumping this kid's tires".

As far as value picks in the 2013 draft go, I rank Santini at #42 third, after Jones at #4 and Nichushkin at #10.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
It's also not a bad thing that players consistently chose Santini as the player they'd want to continue playing with.

That's definitely a good sign. It shows that he is reliable and good in the room.

Jon is hilarious. He thinks because his post count is in the tens of thousands he's some sort of god with expert hockey knowledge.

Wait, it doesn't give you expert hockey knowledge?! :sarcasm:

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
I think 3. Like Burlon and Merrill. His game seems to be well suited for the professional game and he's got a good head on his shoulders. After that, who knows. Could be 1 or 2 seasons in the AHL or like Fayne jump right into the NHL (doubtful).

One of his goals in the meantime was to make the U20 WJC. Should have a decent chance at that. Would love to see him make it there one of these years to see how he's progressed.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I like the Langway comparison. Not because I think it's accurate (I have no idea), but any time a prospect gets compared to maybe the best defensive defenseman of all time it's a good thing.

DevilChuk*

Your comparison to Santini? Rod Langway. This kid is a can't miss shut-down stud, his competitiveness is off the charts. ISS had him ranked #17, leading his description with the telling quote: "we never get tired of pumping this kid's tires".

As far as value picks in the 2013 draft go, I rank Santini at #42 third, after Jones at #4 and Nichushkin at #10.

Wow, that's great to hear. Would have liked to see an offensive prospect but if this guy is truly a steal at this draft position... gotta go BPA.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
good pick from what i gathered. Was very meh on him going into it, but still had him borderling 1st/2nd so it can't be too awful.

Lou has to start moving d prospects or dmen in newark because his logjam is casuing prospects to hit walls with no opportunities and it's gonna kill their value.
Plus that is the only thing in our organization with value so..ya.

Or possibly even their motivation.

Kid could be good, but we need fwd's. Not high on this pick.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I like the Langway comparison. Not because I think it's accurate (I have no idea), but any time a prospect gets compared to maybe the best defensive defenseman of all time it's a good thing.

Ya, that's a lofty comparison, but clearly it's something to aspire to. Normally I don't like using assets on pure defensive defencemen in today's NHL, but if this kid can be the shutdown intimidation hitter that Volch no longer is, I'm willing to make an exception.

I can't wait until Stevens and Dano get their hands on this kid.

Ya, that will definitely be a positive thing for him. We spent enough time trying to make Larsson mean. Sherry Ross was saying Santini is already a little mean, so adding Stevens's tutelage will make him downright vicious. :)

sattar18

Mar 24, 2007
Or possibly even their motivation.

Kid could be good, but we need fwd's. Not high on this pick.

Just three years ago we seemed to be set on the wings, and needed defensive help...

In my opinion, unless there is a player that can come right in and play after being drafted (usually not going to happen unless you have a high pick) that you should always go BPA.

Most of these guys need 3-4 years before they even see action, and organizations needs can significantly change over that period of time.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just three years ago we seemed to be set on the wings, and needed defensive help...

In my opinion, unless there is a player that can come right in and play after being drafted (usually not going to happen unless you have a high pick) that you should always go BPA.

Most of these guys need 3-4 years before they even see action, and organizations needs can significantly change over that period of time.

But team needs just don't mysteriously change. How mgmt molds the team directs the course of a teams needs. Yes a couple years ago we needed defensive help. But the drafting of defensemen early in the draft has reversed that need. As has trading for Zidlicky.

Meanwhile Parise left, and that alone creates a large hole. Now clarkson is a UFA and looking ahead there is age up front that will not be playing that much longer and that too will create a very large void.

Now for sure we drafted heavily on fwd's last year, and after Santini we went with fwd's with our next 3 picks. But I thought the first couple rnds this year, in a year in which was thought to be a very strong fwd draft, were very important to filling the winger void, and after trading the 1st rnd, that only made me feel that much stronger about drafting a fwd with that 2nd pick.

But water under the bridge now. Hope Santini develops into the new age version of Dano.

Also hope that at some point, we trade some D for some O.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Always take the BPA.
A lot to like about him.

Could have traded clarky and Zids for picks in the spring if we wanted to draft forwards.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Always take the BPA.
A lot to like about him.

Could have traded clarky and Zids for picks in the spring if we wanted to draft forwards.

I wish we would have.

Still, the future potential defensive corps of Larsson, Merrill, Severson, and Santini sounds promising.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
But water under the bridge now. Hope Santini develops into the new age version of Dano.

Also hope that at some point, we trade some D for some O.

I'd think that Gelinas and Urbom are even more expendable at this point and in a year Greene and Fayne will be as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad