Prospect Info: Steve Santini

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I wish we would have.

Still, the future potential defensive corps of Larsson, Merrill, Severson, and Santini sounds promising.
I think it's hard to just single out four guys and say the future is bright. Any of them could bust.

But the future potential defensive corps from amongst Larsson, Merrill, Severson, Santini, Burlon, Urbom, Gelinas, Helgeson, and Scarlett is quite bright.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'd think that Gelinas and Urbom are even more expendable at this point and in a year Greene and Fayne will be as well.

I do think that Gelinas and Urbom are worthwhile trade pieces.

I do see Fayne as a tradeable piece but as a UFA after this year, his worth is not super high right now.

Greene? Probably our best D-man, still in his prime, not making a ton of $$, unless we fall apart early in 13-14, I think he is a guy we keep around.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

I do see Fayne as a tradeable piece but as a UFA after this year, his worth is not super high right now.

Greene? Probably our best D-man, still in his prime, not making a ton of $$, unless we fall apart early in 13-14, I think he is a guy we keep around.

I hope Lou offers Fayne an extension now, allowing the team to deal him next offseason, assuming that he couldn't bring back much now.

I like Greene, it's just that with the needs at forward, short-term and long-term, the things you listed make him a valuable asset to trade. I'm not saying give him away, but if the Devils can deal him for a Top6 sniper or #1 C, it should be considered.

Semak

Santini and the other kids need to develop before they start thinking about trading away the established vets.
This kid is 4-5 years away at the very least. We all want scoring but we have to be patient and let Lou do his thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Steve Santini won best dman at the U18 Championship. Last 5 winners: M Dumba, R Murphy, A Larsson, C Fowler, E Karlsson.

-Corey Pronman tweet

Last edited:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Steve Santini won best dman at the U18 Championship. Last 5 winners: M Dumba, R Murphy, A Larsson, C Fowler, E Karlsson.

-Corey Pronman tweet

94180_ORIG-spiderman_i_like_where_this_is_going.jpg

Keep it going! :yo:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Why do people think Santini is going to take 4-5 years? His game is pretty simple and should translate to the NHL pretty quickly.

That said, maybe he develops some offense by staying longer in college.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

-Corey Pronman tweet

Wow I didn't realize that. And I criticized the pick initially haha..we could use a stay at home dman who can actually skate well.

Semak

Why do people think Santini is going to take 4-5 years? His game is pretty simple and should translate to the NHL pretty quickly.

I'm going by the fact that defensive defensemen don't tend to leave school early. If he did, this is still the NJD org where he would at least go to the A to start for a bit after leaving school. Hey, if he leaves early and shows he belongs within the next 3 years or so, good on him. But I don't think it's an outlandish thought.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
wonder if the devils woulda still taken santini if zykov hadn't been snagged by LA the pick before? seems like he may have been their guy all along but you never know I suppose.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

We should hold on to Gelinas, I like his potential a lot.
I could live with dealing Urbom.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i havent read the entire thread, and im well aware of his goal scoring 'prowess' but anyone know exactly what kind of shot he has from the point? meaning, is he going to be PP or PK? is it deflectable? etc

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Was also wondering why 4 years seems to be the assumption. That's a pretty long time for a 2nd rnd pick no?

But if it leads to improved offense, then heck, why not. Especially when it's not on the payroll, and there is no rush to get another d-man in the mix.

-Corey Pronman tweet

I've been critical of taking a d-man at that spot, but the love for the guy has me swayed.

We should hold on to Gelinas, I like his potential a lot.
I could live with dealing Urbom.

I understand Gelinas has potential, but we have so many young d-men, (and so few fwd assets) I don't see anyone outside of Larsson as untradeable.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i havent read the entire thread, and im well aware of his goal scoring 'prowess' but anyone know exactly what kind of shot he has from the point? meaning, is he going to be PP or PK? is it deflectable? etc

If Santini develops into a pp qb while maintaining his defensive rep, this will be one of the greatest picks of all time.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
He did play the PP for the U18's a bit so he's definitely capable. Seen differienting opinions on how good his shot is though, some say average and an area which he can improve upon, others say it's nothing to be concerned about and it's pretty good.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'll admit I hated this pick at the moment it was made. The last thing I wanted to see was a defensive defenseman when guys like Petan, Lekhonen, Dauphin, and Carrier were available. But the more I learn about him, the more I like. Especially from the videos, he has a way more mobile and possession-driven game than I would have guessed from his statline/what everyone was saying about him. His value may shine in the defensive zone, but he clearly appears to know how that the puck needs to get to the other end of the ice. He looks to have a lot of poise too, which is starting to become a theme among Devils D-prospects.

Nowhere near enough offense.

At this time, yes. But it's important to remember that defensemen don't always develop like forwards do, which is why we tend to see more and more of the best defensemen in the league not actually getting drafted at the top spots. Shea Weber wasn't expected to have much of an offensive game at all when he was drafted. The Preds picked him because they thought they might need a little more size and grit in the pipeline after taking Suter and Klein.

Red Line Report's scouting profile on Santini. Red Line Report actually had Santini going at #28 to Calgary in their mock draft.

http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Santini-Spotlight.pdf

Holy ****, his dad owns the Brewster Ice Arena? That's where I learned to skate. :laugh::laugh:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think it's hard to just single out four guys and say the future is bright. Any of them could bust.

But the future potential defensive corps from amongst Larsson, Merrill, Severson, Santini, Burlon, Urbom, Gelinas, Helgeson, and Scarlett is quite bright.

We have an incredible amount of talent stacked up on the back end. I think the Devils will be reputed as a defenceman factory again sooner rather than later.

-Corey Pronman tweet

That's very good company to be in. I like the fact that Pronman likes this pick.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This was fun read and I think Santini needs some talk time :)

I'm actually surprised how levelheaded and thoughtful most of the comments are about Santini from so early on.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well, I had a bit too much hope for Helgeson.

I don't think it was unreasonable. He looked like a solid defensive defenseman. I also think that the skating requirements for a Dman have gotten more demanding...Even more than just a few short years ago.

A lot of us, I include myself in that were judging some of those players on a different paradigm.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah. You have to be able to skate well. Just doesn't seem to be a place for cement shoes anymore at all.

Luckily Santini has shown he can skate. Still don't get how he didn't score more in college.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think it was unreasonable. He looked like a solid defensive defenseman. I also think that the skating requirements for a Dman have gotten more demanding...Even more than just a few short years ago.

A lot of us, I include myself in that were judging some of those players on a different paradigm.

Helgeson is probably a decent, if not good defenseman at the AHL level. He's just one of those players that isn't NHL caliber and never will be.

The thing with Santini is that he actually has puck moving abilities, not to be confused with a ''Puck moving defenseman''.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

I thought Helgeson was gonna be an NHL player as well, even if it was just a good third pairing guy who could move up a pairing for a short period of time in case of injury. That size, physical play and the fact he moves pretty well for a guy that size impressed me and I thought he'd be the next Colin White. He just doesn't have the puck skills and hockey sense to be anything more than a 7th and even that's pushing it. Maybe his type of player is just going the way of the dodo bird in the NHL.

As for Santini, I really love this kid's game. We also have to remember he was the biggest draft day called for a guy projected to be a 1st round pick. I was at that draft and he was ranked around 20th among all players and fell to 42nd, I believe it was where we grabbed him. People were afraid his offense wouldn't develop at all and he didn't have much up side, but was always looked at as sure of future NHL defensman as you can get even if he only topped out as a 3rd pairing guy. If everything breaks perfectly he could be a Ryan McDonagh type defensman. That's if things work out perfect and even if they do I think he has a little more of a physical game and will be more of a 30 point guy than a 35-40 point player. You have to remember McDonagh never put up more than 19 points in college at Wisconsin. But I really do think he could be a guy who could eat up minutes at even strength, be a fantastic penalty killer and even fill in on the PP because he does have enough puck moving skills.

Santini's emergence along with Severson also makes the Larsson for Hall deal look even better. If we add a solid defensman through free agency our defense could be in fantastic shape, especially with Merrill finally looking like the player we all thought he would be as of late. Greene should have a few more solid years left in him and I think Lovejoy is a berth solid NHL defensman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad