Prospect Info: Steve Santini

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
2nd Round , 43rd Overall

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 3h
Terrific pick for the Devils. Was named best Dman at U18WC, shut down guys like Nichushkin and McDavid. Athletic, smart, physical. BC bound

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 3h
Santini is such a good fit with New Jersey. Absolutely Uncle Lou's type of player.

B A T M A N

Could be an elite defensive defenseman, but I felt like it was someone we didn't really need. Who knows. He might look great next to Larsson or Merrill in the future, but that's too far away from now.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
i think its weird to take a position player who didnt score a goal the entire season, even if he's a defensive D. I didnt like the pick when i heard it, but from what i can gather he's probably going to be a bottom 4 defenseman

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
He reminds me of Seth Helgeson. I feel like one of the two of them is going to be our next-gen shutdown physical defenseman. Big guys, but they both can skate. Redundancy is good.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Urbom was the only defensive defenseman of note we had before the Draft, so, although I wanted a forward, I like this pick and I think he adds a unique dimension to the System.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Like I said in the draft thread, this pick has to shine because a lot of great prospects were still on the board, including Oliver-Roy, Pesce, Petan and others.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
New Jersey's defensive depth:

Greene
Larsson
Fayne
Zidlicky*
Salvador
Tallinder
Volchenkov
Harrold*
Merrill
Urbom
Gelinas
Burlon
Helgeson
------------- Professional level
Severson
Santini <--------------
Scarlett
Gedig

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
good pick from what i gathered. Was very meh on him going into it, but still had him borderling 1st/2nd so it can't be too awful.

Lou has to start moving d prospects or dmen in newark because his logjam is casuing prospects to hit walls with no opportunities and it's gonna kill their value. Plus that is the only thing in our organization with value so..ya.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
My friend went through Applecore and had nothing but great things to say about this kid and his father who worked high up in Applecore. This is going to be a great choice, even if the points aren't there, he is a minute eater. I was watching highlights and the announcer mentioned he had 32 minutes of ice time in the semifinals vs Russia in the U18 competition and was eating alot of minutes the night of the finals against Canada. He is very poised with the puck and uses his size very well. I am very excited about this pick. No forward prospect would've been able to contribute this year to our offense so it was way better to draft BPA then go for needs.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
New Jersey's defensive depth:

Greene
Larsson
Fayne
Zidlicky*
Salvador
Tallinder
Volchenkov
Harrold*
Merrill
Urbom
Gelinas
Burlon
Helgeson
------------- Professional level
Severson
Santini <--------------
Scarlett
Gedig

unbelievable

lou needs to flip some of this for areas of weakness otherwise BPA isn't going to pay off

Semak

He'll develop in the college ranks while the team settles the logjam with the big/minor club. Shut down D that can move are always in demand. Lou's back to 90's Lou with stockpiling D. If they start to pan out, GMs will inquire. Heck, being drafted by NJ alone will have teams asking about prospects in the next few seasons. I rather take the D you have confidence in in their potential than miss on a fwd. Even if the D doesn't score, he still will have more value than a projected bottom 6 fwd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad