Prospect Info: Steve Santini

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
More I've heard the more I like. Though it more and more makes me wonder if some of our prospects will get moved at some point.

Almost guaranteed, I have to think. There just isn't space for all of them. Now I'm just hoping it's Urbom and not Gelinas that gets moved.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Talked with Santini for a bit after the draft. Said he was excited as hell. He had a TON of friends/family there. We'll see him play 3 years or so at BC before he's ready. Nasty nasty defender who can shut down top players.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Can never have enough of any position of prospects

They are called prospects for a reason, some will falter, some will bounce around, and a couple will make it

DevilChuk*

Really impressed with this guy based on his interviews..

He seems patient, knows how he needs to get better to make the NHL and seems to have a great head on his shoulders..

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah, he's a pretty articulate guy.

To me, mentioning players like Orpik and Stuart as potential role models, that maybe speaks to a more mature understanding of the game. And how role players fit into it. Again, I really like this pick.

Of course, it gets your mind going and you start to have visions of an entirely homegrown defense where everybody is mobile and two-way, but each guy has his own little specialty (shutdown, PPQB, puckmover, big shot, etc).

DevilChuk*

Yeah, he's a pretty articulate guy.

To me, mentioning players like Orpik and Stuart as potential role models, that maybe speaks to a more mature understanding of the game. And how role players fit into it. Again, I really like this pick.

Of course, it gets your mind going and you start to have visions of an entirely homegrown defense where everybody is mobile and two-way, but each guy has his own little specialty (shutdown, PPQB, puckmover, big shot, etc).

Appreciating and recognizing his role at the age of 18 is quite impressive. Most kids want the goals and points... he seems quite content with what he is.

DevilChuk*

Lou and Conte almost always target the articulate guys. It's not often we draft a guy who can't carry on a conversation.

I'm no-where near as impressed with Ryan Kujawinski honestly..

It's not even the articulate part.. he really seems to have a good head on his shoulders and understanding of his role.

Repeated allusions to "years" before he makes an impact on the NHL level.. he's not pretending that he's good enough yet and knows he has a lot of work to put in.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
size, good skater and good defensive instincts? if he can learn how to pass he's exactly what i think a good defenseman must have. our most ready wave of d-prospects is to the point where they're either going to make the squad or be traded, so it doesn't hurt to add a younger one. makes me suspect lou anticipates trading one or more of the 20+ year old d-men this offseason.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
If he shut down guys like nieuskin and McDavid in the U18s I'm really likng this pick. We don't really have too many defensive Dmen in the system, most are offensive right?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
If he shut down guys like nieuskin and McDavid in the U18s I'm really likng this pick. We don't really have too many defensive Dmen in the system, most are offensive right?
Most are two-way. At this point Lou doesn't really seem to draft many defensemen who aren't big and can skate (only real exceptions have been Daly, Faust, and Scarlett). Only Helgeson and Santini qualify as classic stay-at-home types.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad