Stastny Trade - like it or not?

Do you like the trade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For those thinking we paid too much, try to remember the glory days of the trade deadline when Antoine Vermette was the best center available and got traded for a 1st.
Yup. Seems like the price for the top rentals was the same as previous years, but the quality of the top rentals was higher this season than usual.

Remember Douglas Murray for two 2nd round picks... ugh!

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Love the acquisition. Hate the cost in long term assets for short term payoff.

But - all player assets are temporary, some longer term, some shorter. This one could net us a cup - or at least a deep run. If we get bumped early, we will just have to chalk it up as a good try that failed, and move on.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's hard to say right now.

If Stastny ends up being the guy who can make the Ehlers-Laine line click, then it's worth everything that they paid for. However, if he doesn't find chemistry with those two players, then there's a risk that he will overlap with Little and Lowry, to the point where it's going to be difficult to find a spot for him on the roster.

I see zero chance of that. If that line doesn't gel then wingers will be blended until it does gel. No fear of overlap/duplication whatsoever. Lowry will centre the shutdown line. Stastny will centre one of the 3 scoring lines, as will Little.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Taking a near term view, I voted yes. This could really turn out badly if we see a first round exit and Stastny re-signs in St. Louis.

That would be very disappointing but it still wouldn't be that bad. It is not like a franchise killer contract. It is just a swing and a miss then.

The lost 1st would have the same value as a bust on a late 1st pick. That happens to other teams all the time. I was really looking forward to having Foley but he was expendable.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Funny how many people used to complain that Chevy seemed incapable of making a trade. And promoting the idea it would always be that way.

Being a GM is sometimes about being patient

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I chose undecided because I am. I'm still giddy about the possibilities and potential though. I was more than Ok with losing a first, especially for such a nice fit and being late in the round. Chevy and his scouts have mitigated any concerns I had of "wasting" draft picks...really hard to understand the angst here about losing a first.

So on paper we are easily the best offense in the league. I'm hoping that translates to on-ice success.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
I chose undecided because I am. I'm still giddy about the possibilities and potential though. I was more than Ok with losing a first, especially for such a nice fit and being late in the round. Chevy and his scouts have mitigated any concerns I had of "wasting" draft picks...really hard to understand the angst here about losing a first.

So on paper we are easily the best offense in the league. I'm hoping that translates to on-ice success.

The whole point of the question is to make an instant judgment on the trade.

Of course we’ll have more clarity once time passes and we see how it “translates to on-ice success”. That’s called history - this thread was meant to be predictive.

Take a swing - it’s the internet so nobody gives a **** if you turn out to be incorrect.

My take: we’re a top 7 team with a chance at the Cup this year. Look at the Oilers - you never know what can happen one year to the next. We’ve stockpiled resources for this exact situation and our draft pick will be high regardless, so we’re really not giving up much.

Even if we don’t win the Cup, if we give a young group valuable playoff experience, this trade will be worthwhile.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
The whole point of the question is to make an instant judgment on the trade.

Of course we’ll have more clarity once time passes and we see how it “translates to on-ice success”. That’s called history - this thread was meant to be predictive.

Take a swing - it’s the internet so nobody gives a **** if you turn out to be incorrect.

My take: we’re a top 7 team with a chance at the Cup this year. Look at the Oilers - you never know what can happen one year to the next. We’ve stockpiled resources for this exact situation and our draft pick will be high regardless, so we’re really not giving up much.

Even if we don’t win the Cup, if we give a young group valuable playoff experience, this trade will be worthwhile.
LOL. Thanks for the lecture...I'll go change my vote.:huh:

Reactions: Jets2point0

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: Doesn't sound like undecided to me! Do you have commitment issues? :laugh: jk

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Not usually a fan of rental players but the fact we didn't give up all that much for a solid two way player who can help us NOW in so many facets of the game is huge, heck if he enjoys his time here which I'm sure he will we might even have a great chance to sign him to a solid deal. Having Stastny in our line up especially when we are 100% healthy makes our top 9 very scary. Extremely excited for tonight's game! Go Jets Go!

bog roll

Nov 16, 2016
I'm very happy with this trade. Good on Chevy. With any luck Paul, Pate & the Electric eel will light things up and Paul will be happy to stay.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Undecided untill i actually see how it affects the team

Another fence sitter. :laugh:
I understand the reluctance but for me, it is that Stastny is a much better fit to need than any other potential place those assets might have been spent. That moved me from my usual hard opposition to TD rental pickups. I would still rather have spent more of our surplus wingers and kept the 1st but you can't always get what you want.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It's hard to say right now.

If Stastny ends up being the guy who can make the Ehlers-Laine line click, then it's worth everything that they paid for. However, if he doesn't find chemistry with those two players, then there's a risk that he will overlap with Little and Lowry, to the point where it's going to be difficult to find a spot for him on the roster.
No. He's better than Little and Lowry. There will be no issue finding him a spot - even if they have to juggle the lines.

Personally, I'd like to see Roslovic and Ehlers flipped at some point anyways. If the line clicks and prevents that, that's cool too.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad