Stastny Trade - like it or not?

Do you like the trade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
Stupid question I know. But when in the first time we'll see Statny in action?

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
That was me trying to watch the Olympics in the Pacific time zone. Curling at 3am :surrender
Well, try to be a Finn and follow Lauri Markkanen(NBA) and the Jets at the same time x)

And try to be awake at work from 6am to 15pm day after day:laugh:

Last edited:

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I put this on the main boards:

Good deal for both teams. You have to give Armstrong credit here, it took a lot of guts to deal their best center to a divisional rival for futures when they are a perennial playoff team and only 1 point out of playoffs but it's definitely the best move for the Blues long term. The fact that they identified Foley also bodes well for their front office as he's a top 50 prospect just doesn't have the draft pedigree.

Sounds like Stastny aggravated over moving his family, so there's still a decent chance he re-signs in St.Louis. Also - the Blues are still in the race and their playoff chances are tied to goaltending more than who their Cs are. That team could continue to flounder or they could go on a run as a FU to mgmt.

For Jets, I think we got the best forward available at deadline in the last several years. Stastny is 50-60 point playmaking two way center who gets most of his production at even strength. Those players just don't become available as rentals. We don't know yet what kind of chemistry he'll have with Laine/Ehlers but it's irrelevant to his market value. That's the gamble of deadline acquisitions. And yeah, I'd rather have dumped a lesser prospect than Foley but this is life. This franchise has never won a playoff game and if you include Jets 1.0 history, we have only won 2 playoff rounds since 1979. If all we get is hope from this, I'm still fine with it.

Last edited:

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
It's hard to say right now.

If Stastny ends up being the guy who can make the Ehlers-Laine line click, then it's worth everything that they paid for. However, if he doesn't find chemistry with those two players, then there's a risk that he will overlap with Little and Lowry, to the point where it's going to be difficult to find a spot for him on the roster.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It's a great move! You guys are going for it, exactly as you should considering the position you are in.

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Excellent trade. Fits our needs an I think this is the exactly center Ehlers and Laine need.
We have structure and enough players to maintain our core. Foley is an excellent prospect, but I rate Veselainen way higher, so I'm fine with trading Eric and wish him well in St Louis.
But like Chevy said he was on other side and was driving this prices up, so you gotta pay.

P.S Does any has advanced stats of Stasny compared to his team-mates in St Louis? Would be much appreciated

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Paul Gaustad was also traded for a 1st

Exactly. Daniel Winnik, Thomas Fleischman, Kris Russell all got 2nds. Post-hernia Ladd for a 1st and a prospect? The prices this year were seriously low considering the difference in talent available - Statsny, Nash, Brassard, McDonagh, Kane.

Chevy did really good. I would have been fine with standing pat at forward and getting a better D as Chiarot's replacement, but I think someone of Stastny's calibre becoming available - you have to be flexible. Also - Wheeler, Buff, Toby are not getting any younger and we have Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck on ELCs/massive bargains so if we don't go for it now - when are we going to go for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Doesn't Statsny have some injury history, or am I fake newsing myself?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
My pessimistic nature doesn't allow me to be anything but on the fence about this. It's appropriate that he's coming from St Louis, cause he still has to show me that he makes our team better. That prickling sensation on the back of your neck? That's me watching you, Paul.

tI5Jy.jpeg

:nod:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Undecided? Sounds like a cop out for those wanting to see the results, then form their opinion.

I would think we are all sound enough hockey minds that we can look at the trade and assess today, not at seasons end.

Many were hoping for a center to be acquired, that would push Hendricks to the press box. We did a deal that does that, and pushes Lowry to the 4rth line. That is improvement.

If the results don't go our way, does not dissolve the fact that this trade made us much better.

Reactions: Gotaf7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad