Stastny Trade - like it or not?

Do you like the trade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Another fence sitter. :laugh:
I understand the reluctance but for me, it is that Stastny is a much better fit to need than any other potential place those assets might have been spent. That moved me from my usual hard opposition to TD rental pickups. I would still rather have spent more of our surplus wingers and kept the 1st but you can't always get what you want.
Yeah im a fence sitter for sure in this one, mainly because i know next to nothing of stastny.

I am optimistic tho

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Oh no. Not even close. My "Should the Jets sign Shane Doan" poll was way more one-sided. :laugh:

As was my "How 'bout O'Connor, Vesalainen and a 1st for E Kane, people?" TDL special.

Looking forward to seeing PS play the best hockey of his life over the next three/four months -- or whenever the SC finals end, these-a-days.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Funny how many people used to complain that Chevy seemed incapable of making a trade. And promoting the idea it would always be that way.

Being a GM is sometimes about being patient

My favourite is the years of criticism Chevy received because he didn’t have a plan or vision, and that there was no way we could just outdraft other teams, and he was an idiot for not picking a definitive route by either 1. Blowing it up or 2. Going for it with the Atlanta core. Didn’t matter which route he took but by god he should have just picked one!

Reactions: larmex99 and Huffer

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Sorry for going off subject cause I know you Jet fans are not here to talk about my Bruins,,But I just wanted to say I hope Stastny gets off to a good start like our newcomers did. Charlie MacAvoy scored in Overtime to give Bruins a 4-3 win over Canes. Rick Nash scored a goal and Wingels had a goal plus assist. Both played well. We did get bad news today as Patrice Bergeron is out 2-4 weeks with a fractured foot. He got hit with puck in 1st period of Leafs game. He finished game and played next game cause Xray didnt pick it up. Sucks cause he was rumoured to be in talks for the Hart Trophy..Cheers folks and GO JETS

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I love it. He has next level vision for game. Pate needs player with good vision and this will help him so much to execute his own vision.

Reactions: Laineux

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm one of the 6 that voted against the trade. I like Stastny, he's a good fit and a good player. I just don't like dishing out 1st Rd picks for rental players. Roslovic and Vesalainen were both late 1sts. I want this team to be contenders for the long term. We'll need fresh talent down the line.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
There is a time to sow and a time to reap.

It is now harvest time!

I'm one of the 6 that voted against the trade. I like Stastny, he's a good fit and a good player. I just don't like dishing out 1st Rd picks for rental players. Roslovic and Vesalainen were both late 1sts. I want this team to be contenders for the long term. We'll need fresh talent down the line.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Looks like a good deal to me. Some think that it was or can be an overpayment if Jets are out after 1st round, but I don't see it that way. I mean, we've got a nicely built team age wise and very good prospects still up and coming in the AHL and FEL etc. So losing one prospect from a stacked pipe and not having one 1st round pick in next draft doesn't really affect. I actually think they'd afford to lose 1st round pick next year too, but then they'd really need to make a good pick in 2020 to have that pipe loaded. But right now we're having young guns still in their ELC (they wont be forever, but there are more in the pipe as I said) and some key players already have taken a team friendly contract.
I kinda see this situation like having a million dollars and now investing 100000$ to a medium risk fund. Of course it can go wrong, but doesn't seem very likely. And even if it goes wrong, still have a good load of $. (And yeah, you wouldn't get more than one player with million bucks, but I think you'll get the point).

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
It is not guaranteed that Stastny is just a rental. Playing on the Jets with Ehlers and Laine Stastny could potentially double his point totals of the last few years and set a new career high for himself. He may give serious thought to not leaving at the end of the season.

Reactions: jorbjorb

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
It is not guaranteed that Stastny is just a rental. Playing on the Jets with Ehlers and Laine Stastny could potentially double his point totals of the last few years and set a new career high for himself. He may give serious thought to not leaving at the end of the season.
Definitely not giving him 7M if he is signing with us haha.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

I listened to some Chevy interview (maybe it was during the Nashville game?) where it sounded quite a lot like he would try to re-sign Stastny. It wasn’t really ambiguous at all.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I really like his game, and he's clearly a great fit. However, if we bow out in the first round....its a bad trade.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Maybe I've been watching too much Game of Thrones... but Stastny is only here as a rental, and the rest of the year resides in St. Louis.

You think GMGM screwed us over? What if Stastny is a TROJAN HORSE sent by Doug Armstrong to find out our weaknesses?

Nahhhhhh.. :P

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I listened to some Chevy interview (maybe it was during the Nashville game?) where it sounded quite a lot like he would try to re-sign Stastny. It wasn’t really ambiguous at all.
The Jets really can't afford to - unless they're moving a significant amount salary somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad